Skid Plate and routine maintenance

STLTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI SE
Considering lowering my GSW and would definitely get a skid plate if that’s the case. Anyone know if these interfere with oil changes and routine maintenance? When I take it to the shop for oil changes or other maintenance, will this create issues?

Demo3

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI Golf Sportwagen
No... really does not add anything to your maintenance. You have to remove whatever kind of protection you have anyway unless it is modified to gain access.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Cannot say on the A7s, but on the A5/6 it is not a huge deal to remove for service (the Dieselgeek version, that is). I know on the 2015s, the oil filter is below, so you HAVE to remove it for access.

STLTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI SE
Cannot say on the A7s, but on the A5/6 it is not a huge deal to remove for service (the Dieselgeek version, that is). I know on the 2015s, the oil filter is below, so you HAVE to remove it for access.
Ok, so would it be expected by the majority of places that I’d need to remove this myself before taking the vehicle in for service? I guess that’s what I’m trying to understand.

oilhammer

TDI
I remove skid plates here all the time for service. Lots of vehicles have them. Most are plastic, but there are some that are metal, like many Toyota and Nissan trucks and SUVs. Some have a variety of different fasteners, too, which makes them tedious, like many Audi models. Some have fasteners that are used up after a handful of services, like Focus and C-max and some other Fords. Just part of the job. No big deal.

STLTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI SE
I remove skid plates here all the time for service. Lots of vehicles have them. Most are plastic, but there are some that are metal, like many Toyota and Nissan trucks and SUVs. Some have a variety of different fasteners, too, which makes them tedious, like many Audi models. Some have fasteners that are used up after a handful of services, like Focus and C-max and some other Fords. Just part of the job. No big deal.
Awesome, thanks! I would’ve had you doing my service if I hadn’t moved from STL to NC this summer!

oilhammer

TDI
Just make sure you have a discussion with the person or persons charged with maintaining your car beforehand so they know of anything aftermarket and all parties involved know going in.

For me, aftermarket plates on Volkswagens are so common (as well as the OEM accessory ones) that I don't think anything of it. I know how they come off and go back on, because I install a boatload of them myself.

ssffnomad

Veteran Member
TDI
2015, GSW, S, TDI, 6MT. 5/2017
And you are most likely a good boy, and tighten hardware by hand. Not stripping out any threads.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
there's evo imports plate which is similar to diesel geek plates of yore.

There's also an OEM+ glass reinforced plastic plate that comes standard on the Alltack. Some have ordered the OEM part number from across the pond and all the mounting hardware for under ~$200, there's a thread about it if you dig enough.

STLTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI SE
Just make sure you have a discussion with the person or persons charged with maintaining your car beforehand so they know of anything aftermarket and all parties involved know going in.
For me, aftermarket plates on Volkswagens are so common (as well as the OEM accessory ones) that I don't think anything of it. I know how they come off and go back on, because I install a boatload of them myself.
Yep, good deal. I’m most likely going to Apex Tuning, so they should be familiar with that kind of stuff.

laminated

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Sportwagen
its easy peasy, wish they had the rear holes slotted so you could slide the plate in and it will hold it up till you catch the front

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The Alltrack OEM plate also has this. not sure if the Alltrack shares the same plate as the Atlas, but seeing they are both MQB, maybe.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
He was referring to the Evolution Atlas aluminum skid plate. :) Which is for the MkIV jetta/golf/beetle btw.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ahhhh too many names too close together.