www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old March 8th, 2010, 16:10   #1
AlanH70
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2001 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 45-47 mph DIESEL!!
Default Mechanical Car Wash vs. Car Paint.....

So on my way to work I see a new car wash has opened up. My car was a bit dirty so I pull in. the place is huge and they have this program where you pay X dollars per month depending on the package you want and you can go through the car was as many times you want per month...The owner told me a guy goes through 2 times a day sometimes.....Well I have had it now for maybe 4 weeks and have washed my car about 5 times....I wondr is this bad for a vehicle, for the paint or brakes or anything mechanical....It is a brush type car wash pretty standard type I would assume.....
Red with Black interior
AlanH70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 16:14   #2
dieseldorf
top post dawg

Tough on the paint/clearcoat...sands it down just a little with every pass thru.
dieseldorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 16:18   #3
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

What about with a touch-free car wash? Anything to worry about there?
Old March 8th, 2010, 16:21   #4
FlyTDI Guy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 56.5/44/41

Be advised, car washes recycle their water, after filtering of course. Problem is, that last guy who just went off-roading and brought half the mountain back with him. That, combined w/less than stellar maintenance on the filter equipment and....

VW paint is pretty soft and will scratch just looking at it sideways. Though this sounds like a good deal, I'd stay away.

'01 Jetta GLS, 5 sp, Black on Black, Leather, Sun Roof, MFSW, Monsoon, Cold Weather Pkg., Full LED interior, always a work in progress
FlyTDI Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 16:24   #5
NB_TDi

Fuel Economy: Best 56MPG

The Irving car wash here in town is the biggest in Atlantic Canada. It's decent enough, they don't recycle water. In the winter months I tend to use it and never noticed any scratches or problems.

But since it's getting warmer, but not warm enough for me to hand wash my car, I go to a local detailing shop. $10 for a hand-wash in their bay.

1994 Jetta 1.8 2000 Jetta TDI, 2005 Jetta 2.0, 2010 Tiguan 2.0 TFSI 4Motion, 2014 Jetta 2.0
Everytime you post a picture with PhotoBucket, a TDI gets below 30MPG.
NB_TDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 16:25   #6
AlanH70
Veteran Member

They say they add a clear coat protectant to the paint is that possibly anything that helps the paint or is it just a gimmick to pay more?
Red with Black interior
Old March 8th, 2010, 16:26   #7
NB_TDi

aka Hot Wax.Useless.

1994 Jetta 1.8 2000 Jetta TDI, 2005 Jetta 2.0, 2010 Tiguan 2.0 TFSI 4Motion, 2014 Jetta 2.0
Old March 8th, 2010, 16:28   #8
dieseldorf
top post dawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanH70
They say they add a clear coat protectant
There are water-soluble waxes, but what's to say that it's actually been applied to your car?

The most modern car washes do far less damage to your finish than the older systems. However, I still prefer a hand-job and clean (as opposed to recycled) water as Fly hints at.
dieseldorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 16:55   #9
frugality
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 33mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldorf
However, I still prefer a hand-job...
As do I, but let's keep this on the topic....

My 10-yr-old / 280k-mile Golf has been through soft-cloth car washes about 1/3 of the time, and the U-hose-it car washes about 2/3 of the time. The paint still looks great. I'm surprised that the cloth washes haven't seemed to do much of any damage on my dark-green Golf.

The only problem is the attendants who use a brush-on-a-stick to do the tailgate. I have some scratches back there. The water in the bucket rarely gets changed, and so you get the grit from the last pickup truck bumper scratched across your tailgate. After getting scratches that way, I now often say, "no brush on the rear" when I hand them my money.
Old March 8th, 2010, 17:13   #10
AlanH70
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldorf
There are water-soluble waxes, but what's to say that it's actually been applied to your car?

The most modern car washes do far less damage to your finish than the older systems. However, I still prefer a hand-job and clean (as opposed to recycled) water as Fly hints at.
I prefer a hand job myself .....but i understand cuz I have noticed the back bumper of my car which collects the water always spots and stays dirty....its gotta be the water not filtered correctly......but i will have to watch my paint now to see if it is scratching....
Red with Black interior
Old March 8th, 2010, 17:55   #11
LiLredTDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ohh...I'd say bout 42mpg

Anybody that uses a carwash and think it looks good and scratch free needs a good eye checkup. Save your money and mail me 2 bucks and I will mail you back some sandpaper to wash your car with. Car washes are for lazy people or folks that can afford to ruin a perfectly good car. If you can ONLY get the undercarriage wash that is ok.
2004 Jetta PD-RC race, 17/22,stg.IIcoltcam PD150 Inj.,Rosten Rods, Ported head,PP DP, cat delete/2 1/2" piping/Magnaflo muffler, R32 airbox/snorkle,PD150 TIP, SB stg 3 ,NSboost/egt gauges, BBS RS II's, Koni FSD/Eibach Kit, M3 side skirts/ rearwindow spoiler,GLI F/R lips FK bumper scoops

LiLredTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 18:06   #12
FlyTDI Guy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 56.5/44/41

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLredTDI
Anybody that uses a carwash and think it looks good and scratch free needs a good eye checkup. Save your money and mail me 2 bucks and I will mail you back some sandpaper to wash your car with. Car washes are for lazy people or folks that can afford to ruin a perfectly good car. If you can ONLY get the undercarriage wash that is ok.
Though I agree, in principle, many folks live in apartment complexes, etc. and access to a hose and space is not always the easiest. That doesn't take into account cold climates. Being as some a$$ clown decided to use my LH front fender as a car stop (perhaps it was a 5 mph bumper test) the other night, then drove off, I don't have these issues right now.

'01 Jetta GLS, 5 sp, Black on Black, Leather, Sun Roof, MFSW, Monsoon, Cold Weather Pkg., Full LED interior, always a work in progress
FlyTDI Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 18:23   #13
mysql
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Jetta wagon

the problem with the drive in car washes is that the chemicals they use will wipe off any wax you may have on the vehicle. It's like washing with Dawn detergent. So your car will tend to get dirty faster by using these places.
Old March 8th, 2010, 18:26   #14
cmitchell
Veteran Member

My car's never been through a car wash... and never will as long as I own it. But then I'm a bit pickier than most when it comes to the paint on my vehicles anyway.

2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5 speed black / black leather
2013 Subaru Outback Limited Cypress Green (Wife's)
1983 Isuzu P'up 4X4 diesel 4 speed
cmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 18:28   #15
NB_TDi

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLredTDI
Sorry but I disagree. There are so many types of car washes you can't account for them all. I've been using the same car wash every winter for 10 years. I hand wash my car in the summer and clay bar, polish and wax it. There are no scratches from the wash.