iPhone to ODBII

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Steve99- Nice Photoshop! Oh, and if that's not a photoshop, prepare to find me at your driveway lol (you're only a couple hours away lol).

--edit-- that is if Chris doesn't beat me over there!

blizzard60

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Steve99- Nice Photoshop! Oh, and if that's not a photoshop, prepare to find me at your driveway lol (you're only a couple hours away lol).

I'm already outside his place with a tdiclub tactical assault team!!

Steve99

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Golf TDI, 04 R32

I would have traded it to Chris for his FUNK button but he just doesn't want to let it go!

OK, back to reality where only Ross-tech has such toys. Well I have an iPhone 4 but not the magical wifi piece that connects to the OBDII port...

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
I would have traded it to Chris for his FUNK button but he just doesn't want to let it go!

OK, back to reality where only Ross-tech has such toys. Well I have an iPhone 4 but not the magical wifi piece that connects to the OBDII port...
Yeah, good luck trying to pry the FUNK from his hands :D

pleopard

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
This product will make VCDS attractive enough for me that it will be completely impossible to continue putting off the purchase of VCDS. My Droid2 Global is ready and willing/waiting.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
This product will make VCDS attractive enough for me that it will be completely impossible to continue putting off the purchase of VCDS. My Droid2 Global is ready and willing/waiting.
I'm in the exact same boat - I would rather buy for my iPhone than spend full bucks on the laptop version.

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
I'm in the exact same boat - I would rather buy for my iPhone than spend full bucks on the laptop version.
I'd be happy to spend full bucks on an iPhone version so long as it supported everything the PC version did.

blizzard60

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
I'd be happy to spend full bucks on an iPhone version so long as it supported everything the PC version did.
Do you think it will be able to log? Do you care? Obviously this is all speculation at this point...

AFAIC a "lite" version for phones would be fine for phones. Change coding, read measuring blocks, etc. No need for logging.

My $0.02

As a "free" app in the app store for current registered customers, this would do well :D

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Do you think it will be able to log? Do you care? Obviously this is all speculation at this point...
AFAIC a "lite" version for phones would be fine for phones. Change coding, read measuring blocks, etc. No need for logging.
My $0.02
As a "free" app in the app store for current registered customers, this would do well :D
Yes and Yes. I'll take what I can get, but would prefer the logging for what it will probably cost. I don't know anything about programming or what goes into making a device like this, but it seems if you can make it read and clear codes you can make it log. Think about it- you buy a new custom tune, do a log with your phone and from within the app you email the .csv file to your tuner for review before even returning home :cool:

Joshua

TDI
ALH
It's been a month since the last post so I'm bumping this thread. I've been wondering where Uwe and crew were going to take VCDS, and I'm liking what I'm seeing. Making it a browser type of app means capability on virtually any smartphone or computer ( Mac and Linux users say YYYyyyyEEEeeeAAAHHH!!). Awesome! And count me on on the Beta testing if need be. I have access to a lot of different VW's/Audi's for testing capabilities :) And I'll be more than happy to purchase another upgrade if it has full capability.

Uwe

Vendor , w/Business number
A browser-type app is not where the full version of VCDS is heading, but rather a subset of it (primarily for mobile devices) but of course whatever we have for mobile devices can also be used on whatever other niche operating system that floats your boat. :D

-Uwe-

Deadend

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
iPhone to OBDII maybe be tricky. Don't really know.
Not at all. The usb pins are right on the dock connector. You would make it out of an iphone cable, a obdii usb chord, and a usb gender changer.

The OBDII protocol can't be horrible complex. The iphone SDK is wide open.... it's almost surprising this hasn't been done yet. There's a money-maker if you want to get your work into the iphone app store.

Sevenjays

TDI
2004 Jetta
Not at all. The usb pins are right on the dock connector. You would make it out of an iphone cable, a obdii usb chord, and a usb gender changer.

The OBDII protocol can't be horrible complex. The iphone SDK is wide open.... it's almost surprising this hasn't been done yet. There's a money-maker if you want to get your work into the iphone app store.

I know there are apps for android phones already out there. And for $50 on amazon you can buy a bluetooth to obdII adapter. But I don't think any of them are VAG compatible. At least not like the VCDS. All I want to do is be able to check and reset all the codes and take care of the timing after changing a belt or camshaft. Is that too much to ask?

Deadend

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
That's not too much to ask.... but maybe it's too little....

When I needed to reset the code after putting in new glow plugs, I just "rented" (ie you put a credit card deposit down but there's no actual rental fee) one of those pro-level scanning tools from partsource.

Actually I even used it to clear the code while still in their parking lot - I didn't even have to make two trips.

Still... porting vag-com to ios or another smartphone/tablet would be super cool.

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
A browser-type app is not where the full version of VCDS is heading, but rather a subset of it (primarily for mobile devices) but of course whatever we have for mobile devices can also be used on whatever other niche operating system that floats your boat. :D

-Uwe-
Mmmm, bump for VCDS in your mobile browser!

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
I have the Torque app for my android.. There are options in it for communicating with a VW/audi protocol, and in the footnotes it says "This protocol has not yet been implemented, but will require a VAGCOM compatible bluetooth adapter when complete"

That would be awesome..

There's already a VW theme for the whole gauge layout that looks like mk4 gauges..

aydn

TDI
99.5 MKIV ALH
Good things come to those who wait.

-Uwe-

I'm giddy! I wonder what the gauges look like.

1/100th the effort of a car-puter setup and the same results, better actually, since you don't have to cut up your dash. Do you think the refresh rates will be higher like 10-15 Hz if the client in the car?