New here... TDI On the way!

J.R. Rogers

Hi, Everyone! I've been a lurker here for quite a while, trying to decide which TDI I wanted, and learning as much about them as possible. After much consideration, I have settled on the Jetta GL TDI. I placed a deposit on it today, and it's being shipped from the port sometime in the next few weeks. It's a 2001 Silver Arrow w/ Black interior.

After much consideration of the Golf, New Bettle, and the Jetta, strangely enough I settled on the Jetta GL TDI.

GOLF- The Golf is nice, and is actually bigger inside than the Jetta, plus it's easier to get into the back seat.... And it's cheaper than the Jetta by about $1200 or so, depending on the options, allowing you to add some cool toys for the sale price as you'd pay for a Jetta GLS. You also get the added utility of the Hatchback which is nice. In the end, the Golf was axed from the list because my wife thought is was the ugliest thing she'd ever seen, and forbade me to buy it. To preserve peace in my marriage, I crossed it off my list. The exterior styling could probably use some tweaks, but I don't personally have any complaints about it.

The New Beetle - This was a tough one... What's not to like about the Beetle? (Except everyone seems to have one these days - mostly women around here.) The Beetle is a great car, roomy front seat (better than the Golf and Jetta), excellent styling inside, loads of headroom, lots of room in the back, etc... Plus, the Beetle handles like it's on rails. Very cool! It's styling interior and exterior is both cool and funky at the same time. I'm really not sure whether I love the look of the Beetle, or hate it! (Does that make sense?) Three things prevented me from getting the Beetle. 1) We have a small child, and getting him in and out of the back would be a pain. 2) Price. The dealers were dealing on everything EXCEPT the Beetle. 3) Styling - I like people to look at what I'm driving, but not gawk at me. The Beetle is such an unusual vehicle, that even during the test drives, you got the feeling that everyone on the road was staring at you, and that you were on display. Anyone else notice this? It just made me feel weird.

Jetta - Since I'm buying this primarily as a commuter car, the GLS TDI was the first thing I looked at. One thing really bothered me about the GLS - the seat fabric. The Velour fabric seemed to stick to me, and created a lot of static electricity when getting in and out. Then I noticed that it was attracting all kinds of lint and stuff from our clothes, etc. That was kind of a turn-off. The seat fabric in the GL seemed a lot more "durable" and much less of a lint magnet. The armrest was also a little high and kind of uncomfortable, I found.

The only differences between the GL and the GLS in the TDI model are:
1) Seat Fabric
2) Arm Rest
3) Power Windows
4) Availability of options

The GL TDI includes the cruise control and everything else that the GLS has standard other than the above. The price difference was $900 between a no-option GLS, and a GL. For $900, I'd get an uncomfortable arm rest, seat fabric I didn't like, and power windows that I didn't need. I think the $900 is better spent on a CD player and a set of alloys for the Jetta.

In conclusion, this is my first VW and my first diesel. I'm really excited about this car! I think I got a great deal on it. The car was a mere $17500 + TTL (+ addl. $350 for a VW CD player installed) + I get 2.9% financing.

Is this a good deal? Comments?
J.R. Rogers

DEZLBOY

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS, Candy White
My very unknowledgable opinion is that you got a good deal. The main thing is that you are buying the car you really want, and are satisfied that you paid what you felt was a fair (ie good) price. What more can you ask for?

Best of luck with your TDI! Even if it is a Jetta...and not a Golf!

------------------
DEZLBOY
Ich bin ein TDI'er

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
Congratulations!

I drive an NB and can say that the first few months were a total zoo around my car. I thought I was an extrovert, but this was getting out of hand! That was back in June '98. I think the party has slowed down a bit since then, but I still habitually see kids wacking eachother as I drive by.

PunchBUGGYYY!!!

There are other threads on which sex drives this car the most. Funny. When a woman drives it, I think it looks cute, however sexist that may sound. When a guy drives it, I think it looks sporty (and a bit surfer).

It's a totally flexible look, and I don't think people pay all that much attention anymore, other than to STILL tell me they like my car.

As for the Golf and Jetta, fine cars! But as you said, the Beetle has the biggest front seat by far. Now that I'm used to driving the Beetle, everything short of a full sized truck feels clausterphobic.

------------------
BeetleGo, "whoa!"
White 1998 NB 5-sp
Pretty much bone stock
Mud Flaps/Stone Guards/winter/fogs
------------------
"You said this was a DIESEL?!"

J.R. Rogers

Wow! What a turn of events.... As it turns out, the GL TDI in Silver Arrow was not available from the port and would have to be ordered with an unknown lead time. I could opt for a Jetta GLS that could be found locally... or....
I COULD BUY A BEETLE TDI!

So today I'm picking up my Silver Arrow Beetle TDI w/ gray interior and RAVE alloy wheels, a la GLX! I'm one happy guy! I'll post pictures soon.

J.R.

[This message has been edited by J.R. Rogers (edited December 27, 2000).]

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Yeah man, go for the Beetle! The New Beetle is an awesome car. When are you gonna chip it? LOL

Enjoy!

------------------
Über-Beetle: UPsoluted 2000 Yellow New Beetle 1.9 TDI 5-speed
1987 Diamond Blue Mercedes-Benz 190D 2.5 Turbo (sold, but considering re-purchase)

J.R. Rogers

Hey, Thanks! I'm going to "chip" it soon - that's one of the reasons I bought the TDI. I knew there had to be some untapped power there, and finding this Forum with loads of great info and how-to's from people who've been there is great! (BIG THANKS TO THE CREATOR OF THIS GREAT FORUM!)

I've already got the Panasonic CX-DP610 changer and cable on order, slated to arrive on Friday. All in all, the package came to $250 with shipping. The dealer wanted $450 installed for their CD changer.

Oh yeah.. and the car... They're really dealin' this time of year. Normally, it's hard to get a good deal on any Bug from what I understand. But I was able to negotiate the 2001 Silver Arrow Beetle GLS TDI with the GLX Turbo Rave 16" wheel package for a total of $18250 + TTL, a whopping $313 over dealer invoice. (I'm sure there's a little more dealer profit in the wheel package, but I figure they have to eat too, so I backed off.
)

J.R.