I changed fuel filter Problems no start.

Lloydw

TDI
2005 Passat TDI
2005 Passat PD BHW I changed fuel filter, I did not fill with fuel, big mistake. I started it and it ran 2 minutes checked for leaks none. turn off key. cleaned up. tried to restart, no start. cycled sw 8 times. no start. connected VCDS Basic setting group 035 turn on the fuel pump cycled it 8 times. cranked no start. cranked 20 seconds and STOP appeared on dash. oil pressure I think? it wasn't on long enough to read. can I verify fuel thru injectors with VCDS while cranking? no trouble codes. It has always started in the first 3 seconds of cranking in the past. I just changed oil and started it up and ran for 5 minutes checking for leaks. Installed skid plate. then changed fuel filter. Could I have washed down the cylinder with fuel and lost compression?
Thanks for the help. Lloyd

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
You passed a slug of air through the injectors by not prefilling the fuel filter canister. I've done the same with my old 2005 Passat BHW.

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat sedan and 05 wagen
^^^^you did what he said, jump another battery to yours for more cranking power, now crank 5 seconds, let it sit 5 seconds, about the 5th cycle it should start

Lloydw

TDI
2005 Passat TDI
I will never do that again. what did you do to get it started?

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
On mine, I cycled the key a few times to run the in tank pump, then cranked for 15 seconds, then cycled the key a few times more, allowed starter to cool for 3 min, and restarted the cycle. 3-4 times and it started.

Eventually the air will purge.

Lloydw

TDI
2005 Passat TDI
I first removed the hose off of fuel filter from tank. Powered up VCDS group 35 fuel pump. Lots of fuel flow into jug. then removed the return hose from engine to Temp Tee. inserted in jug. cycled pump 60 sec about 10 times. got lots of air. but very little fuel flow. cranked engine several times, long, about 30 sec. STOP eng oil pressure. on dash come on. only comes on after long crank. Is that normal? I've never had that happen. I do not get any diesel smell from exhaust. Passat ran fine after oil change. ran 2 minutes after I installed dry fuel filter. I turn key off to get cleaned up and it did not restart. Is there any thing I can check with VCDS during cranking? I installed new Tandem pump week before but drove 200 miles before oil change. Am I missing something? Thanks for all the help. Lloyd

Lloydw

TDI
2005 Passat TDI
Tonight I'll check to see if I have a crank signal from crank sensor. What group or groups to use? I know the timing belt is good. What injector information can I look for during cranking? Group ? Thanks Lloyd

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
When in doubt - check what you messed with.

Don't over complicate things - remove the air from the fuel system before embarking on any other diagnostics.

Is there any fuel in the tank? :D

Seriously though - you need to ensure that fuel is getting to the tandem pump. if you connect all lines, but pull the t-stat tee off the top of the fuel filter, is there fuel to the top of the hole where the tee normally sits? if not, there is still air getting into the tandem pump.

Last edited:

Lloydw

TDI
2005 Passat TDI
The problem is Me, fuel flow is from rear tank to fuel filter, out filter to Tandem top hose, return from engine thru Tandem lower hose, to Temp Tee connector, thru Tee to return tank. I failed to replace the return hose from engine to Tee, and hose to Tandem was reversed. I was trying to push fuel backwards thru Tandem pump. I think there are check valves in Tandem pump. Smart Phone pictures saved the day. I failed to look when replacing hoses. I cycled pump 10 times with VCDS and cranked about 20 seconds and it started. no codes after 10 mile test drive. It's back to 40 MPG. Thanks for all the help. The man in the mirror loosing it. Thanks Lloyd

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
The problem is Me, fuel flow is from rear tank to fuel filter, out filter to Tandem top hose, return from engine thru Tandem lower hose, to Temp Tee connector, thru Tee to return tank. I failed to replace the return hose from engine to Tee, and hose to Tandem was reversed. I was trying to push fuel backwards thru Tandem pump. I think there are check valves in Tandem pump. Smart Phone pictures saved the day. I failed to look when replacing hoses. I cycled pump 10 times with VCDS and cranked about 20 seconds and it started. no codes after 10 mile test drive. It's back to 40 MPG. Thanks for all the help. The man in the mirror loosing it. Thanks Lloyd
Glad you got it figured out. Don't feel bad about the hose mixup as we all have those moments. Nothing like a cell phone picture to help figure it out. I use mine all the time when taking something apart.:)

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Glad you got it figured out. Don't feel bad about the hose mixup as we all have those moments. Nothing like a cell phone picture to help figure it out. I use mine all the time when taking something apart.:)

Those cameras are an indispensable tool when pulling stuff apart.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Those cameras are an indispensable tool when pulling stuff apart.
Took probably 100 pictures when swapping Duramax long blocks. Every time I would remove a layer, I would go around the engine taking pictures and I referred to them alot on reassembly.

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
Been there, did that many years ago. :eek: I didn't notice that the intake and outtake hoses are each coded with a different color strip.

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen 6 speed manual. B5 died at 302k miles.
While cranking for over 5 seconds, the "STOP" sign comes on because there sensors record crankshaft or something movement, and probably low oil pressure. It panics. The other thing is standing on the starter for over 5 seconds at a time really cooks the starter motor.

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
Took probably 100 pictures when swapping Duramax long blocks. Every time I would remove a layer, I would go around the engine taking pictures and I referred to them alot on reassembly.

Yup, pictures can save you alot of time putting things back together...