2003 VW GOLF TDI taking a long time to start

philipvitale

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf
Hello,

I have had my first TDI for about a year now and I could not be happier. I have a problem starting the car, it will crank for about 30 seconds and then start. It doesn't matter whether its hot or cold. When the car starts it runs perfect with no problems. I did change my fuel filter about a couple of weeks ago and it was running fine then. It starting happening about a week after I changed the fuel filter. Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Phil

CNGVW

Vendor , w/Business number
Bob Mann Auto, 111 High St, Pembroke MA 02359
TDI
Many TDI Jettas and a Beetle Race car run 2010 jetta tdi cup car build roadrace
Hello did you change the O-rings on the black check valve? Sound like you have a air leak at the fuel filter. If it ran and started every time right away before the fuel filter change I would start there. Then I would work my way to the glow plugs.
Bob Mann

B52guy

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2001, 5 speed
Long Start

I had a similar problem a while back too. It also started after a fuel filter change. I could see quite a few bubbles in the clear fuel line. After a while it got bad enough that it would not start and I had to prime the fuel lines and filter then bleed the injector lines.

After a lot of chasing my tail I bought a new filter from the dealer (German made) and a new thermostatic T also. Magically the problem went away.

Fast forward 2 years and 20,000 miles and the problem came back.

This time I did CAT fuel filter mod from Nicktane. The slow start problem is gone and I don't see any air bubbles in the clear fuel line.

Alex