Oil Temperature Sensor location CJAA engine

Carl Ulli

TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon TDI (My Daughter's now); 2012 Highline Jetta TDI; 2012 Golf Wagon
I have a 2012 Jetta 2.0l TDI. When I start the engine the oil light flashes yellow for about 4-5 times and then goes out. VAG Com tells me to look at the oil temp sensor. It is a hard code, comes back instantly after clearing. If someone could guide me as to where to find it I would really appreciate that. Thankyou.

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
Bottom of the oil pan.
Hit anything on the road recently?
Check the wiring, as well as the 5A fuse for that

Carl Ulli

TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon TDI (My Daughter's now); 2012 Highline Jetta TDI; 2012 Golf Wagon
No, did not hit anything. Belly pan is still there and not broken. Thanks, and I will have a look at the wires & fuse.

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
One should be ground, another should be +12 and the third one is signal.
The other end is on a connector under the driver's side headlight (6 or 8 pins, I don't remember but you will find it).
Also, sometimes these sensors go bad too. In that case it's best to replace it during an oil change.

Carl Ulli

TDI
Ok, so I had a look and found nothing. There was a spot on the bottom of the oil pan where a sensor could have been mounted in the casting but no holes drilled and tapped for screws or anything like that. I tried to look near the oil filter and oil cooler housing but there is too much stuff in the way to get a good look at it. Then it started raining so I put the belly pan on again and decided to go back indoors and try to find the answer by another way.

Also, thank you for confirming that it would have three wires going to it. That's what I was expecting.

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Can you post the pic of the oil light and paste the VCDS scan error then?

Carl Ulli

TDI
The VAG COM fault is in the Instruments (17) controller. Elsewhere I found that the Oil Temp Sensor gives a reading of -58 deg. C even though my ambient temp is actually +6 deg. C. I thought I had saved that too but apparently not.

You will also note that the oil light is red when the start button is first pressed. Then in the next picture that same oil light goes yellow and flashes four or five times before going out. It doesn't matter if the engine is running or not, it flashes and then goes out.

I asked at the dealership to see a picture of the sensor in their parts breakdown and it showed the sensor in the oil pan as Henrick said earlier. But this is not what I found when I had the belly pan off.

Attachments

fastalan

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagon
Page 17 of the "Self Study Program 826803 2.0 Liter TDI Common Rail BIN5 ULEV Engine" has the picture of the "Oil Level and Temperature Transmitter" located right on the oil pen.

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It looks like your car does NOT have an oil temperature sensor at all.
Any chance you messed with Engine or Instruments coding recently and activated long-life service intervals or other features?

Carl Ulli

TDI
Possibly, but the timing doesn't seem right. After the first oil change I did there was no problem. I had to use VAG COM to reset the service interval since the dashboard method didn't work. There were two settings I had to reset. It was in Instruments (17) and I only remember vaguely that one was oil change interval and the second one was oil quality - and I selected "good". That was fine and I drove the car until close to the next oil change was due. At that time I had the timing belt done and the mechanic wanted to do an oil change as part of the TB job. I told him he would have to do the two steps to reset the SRI. I don't know what he did but when the next oil change came due I went well past the due time and no service reminder came on. I went ahead and did the oil change and was not able to access the SRI. Immediately the first time I started the engine after that oil change this amber flashing light came on and went off. It has been like that ever since, and I just did another oil change recently.

I wondered if I should have put some oil into the filter housing before closing the lid onto a new filter. (Air lock in the oil galleys for too long). Could I have burned out the sensor that way? It makes me wonder if the sensor is right near the oil filter housing.

Last edited:

xjay1337

Veteran Member
TDI
Scirocco CR170.
I wondered if I should have put some oil into the filter housing before closing the lid onto a new filter. (Air lock in the oil galleys for too long). Could I have burned out the sensor that way? It makes me wonder if the sensor is right near the oil filter housing.

In short, no.

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Setting the oil quality to "good" enabled you long-life intervals service schedule.
So you actually enabled Long-Life service on a car which is not compatible with that.
Take your VCDS and reset all the settings to time-distance schedule (US-spec).

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Page 17 of the "Self Study Program 826803 2.0 Liter TDI Common Rail BIN5 ULEV Engine" has the picture of the "Oil Level and Temperature Transmitter" located right on the oil pen.

2015 have oil temp level sensors, 2009-2014 do not. What you are quoting from is from the EA288 engine not the EA189 engine

There is only a low oil level warning on the 2009-2014, if it comes on for 3-4 seconds, toss in 1/4 a litre of oil, should make it go away.

Or heck check the dip stick!

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I think you are wrong. Oil level sensor and oil temperature sensor (and oil quality sensor, etc) is one and the same part which is mounted at the bottom of the oil pan and has got 3 wires attached to it. If you don't have such a device, then you don't have oil level sensor, oil temperature sensor, oil quality sensor and your car cannot be on LongLife service schedule.

Assuming you don't have the mentioned sensor, the only oil related thing is "low oil pressure switch" with only one wire attached to it. It has absolutely nothing to do with oil level (unless there's no oil at all), it just monitors oil pressure and switches the red low oil pressure icon on the dash at 1500 RPM or above. Usually when you see this warning you have several seconds for shutdown or it will be too late. Adding 1/4 litre of oil probably won't help.

xjay1337

Veteran Member
TDI
Scirocco CR170.
2015 have oil temp level sensors, 2009-2014 do not. What you are quoting from is from the EA288 engine not the EA189 engine

There is only a low oil level warning on the 2009-2014, if it comes on for 3-4 seconds, toss in 1/4 a litre of oil, should make it go away.

Or heck check the dip stick!
My ea189 cbbb has oil temp sensor.
From factory they are long life servicing so have to come with sensor.

Carl Ulli

TDI
Huraaay! It's fixed! Thank you to all of you who helped me figure this out. Thanks especially to Henrick after you told me I have to go back to some original settings.
Setting the oil quality to "good" enabled you long-life intervals service schedule.
So you actually enabled Long-Life service on a car which is not compatible with that.
Take your VCDS and reset all the settings to time-distance schedule (US-spec).

As it turned out my problem was not exactly as stated in the italics, but I knew enough to watch for something in that context. I was rooting around in some txt logs in my RossTech\VCDS\Debug folder and found an Excel spreadsheet that I hadn't found earlier, and didn't know existed, and it told me everything I did exactly in order of sequence with dates and all. When I got to the line that said,
"Address 17 5C6 920 851 A channel IDE00492-MAS02013-ESI: Coding of Service Interval Extension (SIE)-TOG adapted from Oil level thermal sensor not connected to instrument cluster to Oil level thermal sensor connected to instrument cluster Saturday September 30...", I knew that I have to change that setting back to "not connected" because there isn't one in the oil pan. It told me I have to go to 17 Instruments, and the channel description and from there it was easy. It is now changed back to
"Address 17 5C6 920 851 A channel IDE00492-MAS02013-ESI: Coding of Service Interval Extension (SIE)-TOG adapted from Oil level thermal sensor connected to instrument cluster to Oil level thermal sensor not connected to instrument cluster Sunday 10 December 2017 18:28:13:45443" with today's date and time stamp.

So thanks again for your time and input, all of you.