How common are HPFP failures? Resolved with newer versions?

fase2000TDI

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jettawagon TDI; 2015 GSW 6MT
Hey folks
I remember the days when the HPFP failures started, and it steered me away from ever wanting to upgrade (who needs THAT kind of headache?) but I'm wondering if subsequent versions of the HPFP are more reliable. Is it still an issue? Is it now routine maintenance to replace it along with the timing belt? What's the consensus? I see it's now $400 for the pump alone - seems inexpensive compared to the cost of a failure.

If this post is covered in a FAQ, please flame me and lock the thread after.

Thank you,
Jeremy

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
To answer the OP's original questions: HPFP failures have never been common, but it is very bad when/if it happens. It does appear that the newer HPFPs are slightly more reliable than the first ones, but they can fail too. There are 2009 models with over 250k miles on their original pumps. It does seem to be somewhat random, some pumps are good and some fail miserably. I know of no way to to tell a good one from a bad one or predict the failures.

replace it with timing belt and water pump..
This may be good advice for the earlier models but with later ones you really do not know if you are getting rid of a good one to replace it with a bad one. Probably the only sure "fix" would be to do a CP3 upgrade when you replace the timing belt.
If you decide to stick with the stock HPFP, the 2micron "Pure Flow" and "Contain Flow" modifications will save you a lot of money if your pump ever does fail.

Have Fun!

Don