MKV 2005.5 Suspension questions

Rechtsverdreher

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat (met its end), 2000 Jetta
As referenced above, the car is a 2005.5 Jetta sedan. Previous owner, VW mechanic put on VWR springs and it looks like the yellow Bilstein shocks. Car has 18in wheels, staggered front and back. Look isn't bad but he rolled the rear fenders. OK, so I'm ok with that to this point.

When he installed the front struts, no bumps stops, boots and not sure about bearing/strut mounts. He said everything was new, but at this point, I'm not sure I believe that. So right front was banging when I went over a bump. Now I know why...no bump stops and that shock is leaking.

1. Can I replace just one strut and leave the other one as I remember you are supposed to replace in pairs. Not sure about struts.

The rear tires are packed in the wheel wells pretty good (245/45-18). I thought the banging up front was due to springs too low but they are actually fine. If anything, the rear springs are too low for the wheels/tires.

2. I bought a set of Eibach springs from a guy turning in his VW. Can I replace just the rears and raise it a bit, giving the car a rake or is it best to just replace all 4 with the Eibachs. In the rear, I see some rubbing of the inner fender plastic.

Thank you for any insight.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
Bilstein HD/Sport have their bumpstops inside of the strut. Stock external bumpstops do not fit the shaft.

1. You should replace in pairs
2. Try the TT spring pad. It is taller than the stock ones.

Rechtsverdreher

Veteran Member
TDI
OK bought the TT spring pads from IDParts. I did order the Bilstein Sports. So i'm wondering why the right side banged when hitting a bump and why.

I guess I shouldn't add a bumpstop?

I measured the Eibach front springs and the VWR springs, same number of coils and same height when putting a level across them on a level surface. No it looks like no change with the Eibach springs.

Rechtsverdreher

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, I looked at that shaft and understand why a bump stop won't fit around that diameter shaft. Its huge. Still don't understand what caused the one to fail, I think the springs, being VWR probably not at fault, but who knows.