Back, got another TDI

legendman

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 5sp
Been awhile, I had a 2003 Golf that I sold a while back, had it about 6 years and put over 200k on it.
Been itching to get a TDI again after owning a couple of Accords that didn't really sway me to keep them.
So I found this 06 5-speed with 184k for a steal at $2850, has couple dings and scratches. Runs great goes down the road perfect and handles awesome.
No clunks or rattles, but has the dreaded headliner sag, so I need to fix that.
But I am happy to be in a TDI again, :D
Anybody want to buy an Accord or Acura RL :p

The BRM is a little sluggish compared to my old ALH (stock), the ALH seemed to have more off the line power. But the BRM seems to pull better mid rpm.
I plan on some performance upgrades once I give the car a maintenance check and change the fluids.

Last edited:

legendman

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 5sp
How in the hell do you guys read the dipstick?

Black oil on a black dipstick, brilliant

Carlos_TJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Bora (BXE PD)
One factor for the PD to be sluggish off the line (considering the engine, filters, turbo, cam, etc to be ok) is the torsion value. This adjustment (the phase between the cam against the crankshaft) gives either good take off or more power at high rpm. It is not difficult to do but you must have VCDS...

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 1999.5 jettaIV,2005 BEW Beetle
You might have some things to catch up on before throwing power mods at it.
First off, the mileage would suggest a time when the cam and lifters will need replacement. Lag in the lower RPMs may mean that the turbo is closing down too far and choking off the the flow.
Lots of info on these here forums about what can go wrong and what to do about it.
Remember...people sell cars for a reason other than "I got tired of a car that gets great fuel economy".

legendman

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 5sp
So I did my cam before this cold snap hit here in the North East, put about 250 miles on it so far and it is running good.
Found a bad glow plug, tip is cracked off, order a new one on Epay, NGK ceramic $11 with shipping.
Also ordered the XTool VAG401 to see what the air bag light is about.
I have a Ross-Tech VAG-COM but I can't get into the airbag controller for some reason.

I filled it up and got almost 200 miles out of a quarter tank of fuel, woot.
Love this car so far :D

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
200 miles out of a quarter tank of winter blend is pretty good for a heavy mk5 that's located in an urban area. I normally get around 500 miles out of a tank commuting in Charlotte(usually around 30-35 mpg), then around 650 or so miles a tank on the freeway(usually 45-50 mpg).

legendman

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 5sp
200 hundred miles out of a quarter the doesn't sound good imo .

Bajan
Seems good to me, possibly 600 miles to a tank when it gets down to E.

200 miles out of a quarter tank of winter blend is pretty good for a heavy mk5 that's located in an urban area. I normally get around 500 miles out of a tank commuting in Charlotte(usually around 30-35 mpg), then around 650 or so miles a tank on the freeway(usually 45-50 mpg).
I have been doing a 50/50 mix of highway and city, have to run a few tanks through it to get better idea.