Shudder / stutter / surging / nailing / long-start

crazyj

TDI
2009 Jetta Wagon TDI
Hi All, hopefully someone out there can help me diagnose my troubled engine.

I have a plethora of woes, but no smoking gun.

2009 CBEA 6MT post-fix with cold weather intercoller done this winter (had a no start event). I figured I’d post here to avoid the PD responses from the A5 forum

-random (often) surging. Feels like someone playing with my throttle while I’m driving. VCDS shows exhaust temps jumping into the 800 Celsius range. Probably regen. Highly annoying.

-limp mode. Twice now it has gone into limp mode without throwing the engine light. Some kind of code was generated but not permanently stored

-clatter/nailing. When it’s not surging uncontrollably, the clatter (and sometimes what I’d class more as injector nailing) is so much worse than I remember pre-fix (and I think it got worse after the winter no-start / intercoller episode). Like someone slapping a spatula between two boards quickly. Really it runs well with the familiar gravelly diesel noises less than 10% of the time. But it does.

-long start. This started recently. She has never cranked more than a second or two but recently, randomly at home first thing in the morning or mostly predictably at work at the end of the day, it cranks for 5 or 6 seconds, starts but misses for about a city block and then sort of snaps out of it.

-no codes. With exception being the times it went to limp mode

I’m at the end of my rope. I really hate driving it now. Dealership claims this is normal but it didn’t behave anything like this before the fix and I don’t think any diesel should clatter this badly or have any of these problems.

I’ve got a VCDS. Are there parameters i should be watching? Are any of these symptoms leading up to something catastrophic? I’m just about ready to tune it but I don’t want to lose my warranty and have an injector blow up or an HPFP implosion.

-

crazyj

TDI
2009 Jetta Wagon TDI
This has been ongoing for 6mos. Multiple fuel filters. Many tanks of diesel

No codes, so I’m not sure what you think I should scan.

crazyj

TDI
2009 Jetta Wagon TDI
Original HPFP. 250,000km. Canadian car that has always had good fuel, so I don’t know that I’m overly concerned about the pump.