2014 jsw tdi

skromfols

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Jaguar XE TDI, 2014 Sportwagen TDI
I really like the way my JSW drives, but would enjoy a bit more power. I have the 6 sp manual transmission and added a Malone 1.5 tune. I would like to retain the reliability and minimum maintenance but just add a bit more power. So what would be my next modification? A larger turbo, change injectors, or ? I'm new to TDI's so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Stan

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
You have covered the most "bang for your buck" mods. There have been those that have tried the CR170 turbo and 3 inch downpipe and exhaust (with corresponding Malone dpf - less tune) but that is lots of $$$$ for the few extra hp you gain.

skromfols

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the response skinny. I was thinking along the lines of making sure that the injectors were balanced properly and possibly changing injectors. I'm still reading as much as I can on this and other TDI forums to educate myself.

Stan

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
On a CR tdi the balance is completely electronically controlled. Unless one of them is clogged up the computer decides how much fuel to inject and when. I could be wrong (frequently am) but I believe balancing injectors is only for rotary pump engines (2003 and older) while the CR engines pull fuel from a common high pressure rail that is supplied a constant pressure all the time. From what I have read when searching for large power the bottleneck is the pump itself not being able to keep up with flow demands.

skromfols

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Skinny. I'm still learning about this great little TDI. I've rejetted carburetors and adjusted float levels on my share of cars and motorcycles but fuel injection is still black magic to me.

skromfols

Veteran Member
TDI
I checked that page and found incorrect information. It said that in Kalifornia that all new cars were subject to bi-annual smog inspections, which is not true. It depends on where you live. In this county (Calaveras, and Amador the next county over), we have no smog inspections until you sell the vehicle. My Nissan Titan has intake, exhaust and computer control modifications that would never pass an inspection, but until I sell the vehicle no one cares, and I enjoy the additional power.