04 Jetta long start surging/bucking HELP!

TuboTio

TDI
04 Jetta wagnut
Hi Just picked up an 04 5spd Jetta 160k bought it in a rain storm and it was already running when I got to the guys house (red flag):mad: but she's mine now so.... Ok spedo is turning on and off as well as the gas gauge. I did some research on this site should be the wiring below the air box I hope. when the car sits over night you have to crank and crank it a lot of revolutions some times you have to turn the key twice before it starts, When I take off it starts to surge or buck till it warms up about 5 min then it just feels like a tire is a little out of balance .Doesn't feel like any loss of power, if I shut the car off for a short time it will start right up within two or three revolutions like it should. This is my first PD and I feel a little intimidated. Thanks for any and all help (already ordered a timing belt for it)

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Starting issue could be a faulty in-tank lift pump.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
starting issue is probably lift pump - a common issue

Speedo issue - check the connection onto the speed sensor at the top of the transmission. Should be inside a flexible metal pocket. Make sure that the connector is installed all the way (don't guess like me - be sure! lol)