alh m-Tdi marinisation to match Mercruiser Gen1 drive

mogly

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI + B5.5V AVF/01E
Good morning I’m new to this site and toVolkswagen Engines in general I have worked on many marine diesel engines varying sizes from alcove to Fairbanks to cummings to Detroit diesel so I have experience working with Diesel engines. I bought a catamaran with two Volkswagen 2001 TDI ALH engines I have read through most the discussions on engine marinization and their very interesting.
I have overheating issues with one of the engines and was looking for some advise as to what to look for. When I bought the cat neither engine had thermostats in I installed 180 stats one engine does well and holds at about 185 constant. The other comes up to 185 and then after about 30 minutes continues to climb and go all the way up to 220 i back down and it will most times cool back down to 185. I’ve cleaned the raw water heat exchanger and have a good flow over the side. this is running at about 2000 RPM. Any sujestions
Thanks

Interesting. Are these factory marine TDIs? Pics would be cool. :D

As for your overheating. I would highly recommend using IR gun. Spend some time in the engine compartment and compare between the normal operating temp engine and this hot unit. You should be able to narrow down relatively quickly where the heat is being generated.

Exenos

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf
Good morning I’m new to this site and toVolkswagen Engines in general I have worked on many marine diesel engines varying sizes from alcove to Fairbanks to cummings to Detroit diesel so I have experience working with Diesel engines. I bought a catamaran with two Volkswagen 2001 TDI ALH engines I have read through most the discussions on engine marinization and their very interesting.
I have overheating issues with one of the engines and was looking for some advise as to what to look for. When I bought the cat neither engine had thermostats in I installed 180 stats one engine does well and holds at about 185 constant. The other comes up to 185 and then after about 30 minutes continues to climb and go all the way up to 220 i back down and it will most times cool back down to 185. I’ve cleaned the raw water heat exchanger and have a good flow over the side. this is running at about 2000 RPM. Any sujestions
Thanks

Does this happen at higher rpms too or just at 2000? Check the coolant loop for the overheating engine and see if there is any soot in there. My first thought is head gasket but there's a lot more to check before that. Perhaps the hot engines thermostat doesn't open fully allowing for it to maintain 185 at idle but not at higher power demands.

Last edited:

ben2go

TDI
none
There was a company that used 1.9 and 2.0 TDI engines in their line up. I don't remember which company it was. Pathfinder used the 1.6 in both turbo and non-turbo. That company is now defunct from my understanding.

With overheating, I start at the thru hull and work my way to the engine. Then I go through the cooling system following the coolant path. Somewhere along the way, there should be a noticeable problem. Some setups use the auto water pump and some use a belt driven marine pump or a combination of both depending on the setup.

dukku

TDI
1.9 PD-TDI AJM
I would try to switch The heat exchangers betwen those two engines and see if The same engine heats up. Please upload some pics to see them.

Trimis de pe al meu CLT-L29 folosind Tapatalk

Red-Dv

TDI
I’ll be back at the boat over Easter weekend so I get some pictures then I’ve traced through the cooling system cleaned heat exchanger it’s a large exchanger made for a blog block 8 on the big block but I saw that same problem No matter what I do. that’s what I was wondering if the flow of that water pump on the engine can push the water to heat exchanger vice a small radiator I don’t know what the gallons per minute are it is mounted below the engine that’s one concern I have but I’m really looking at is the EGR valve As a source of maybe part of the problem but after Easter awesome I’ll post some pictures hopefully if I can figure out how to do that got so I thank everybody for your help

dukku

TDI
1.9 PD-TDI AJM
Some. Details of The heat exchanger and The exhaust pipe insulation.

ben2go

TDI
none
Nice. The TDI hasn't been popular here. It is very difficult to find a 1.9 or 2.0. I've been searching for several years. I've looked for cars and engines. I still have a plan though, if I ever find an engine.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
I know of an 05 passat tdi in Easley with electrical gremlins from wet floors. Approx 200k and runs.

Last edited:

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
Last email i received they lowered the price to 500. Are you not in upstate sc?

dukku

TDI
1.9 PD-TDI AJM
If you want to mount IT on a alpha/bravo transom you will have to build some Kind of engine fitting to The transom. I bought The engine and The gearbox and cut a few inch from The gearbox case to build a ring that fits betwen The engine and The transom. The engine starter also bolts on that gearbox case too. So, bear în mind you will also need The gearbox case or build something to fit în there.

dukku

TDI
1.9 PD-TDI AJM
Here you have some details. I had to weld some arms scavanged from car's suspension. Now The engine bolts on The Alpha transom plate.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
What gearing outdrives are you running and what is your top comfortable cruising rpm?

ben2go

TDI
none
In a boat, I would be using a twin disc or velvet drive. The transmission would have to mount directly on the engine like an automotive transmission. I think the marine transmissions use an SAE 3 bell housing pattern.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
I was acually referring to dukku, his mercruiser stern drive set up.

Ill be on marathon in June, would it be possible for me to view it in person and take some pics/notes?

GRIT

TDI
2 marinized ALH from 2003 Jetta/Golf
I haven't read the thread yet, but I thought I'd comment.
I just marinized two VW TDI, now SDI, engines, with Mechanical pumps, by Giles.

I'm about to advertise two marine exhaust manifolds, and heat exchangers, no longer needed for my project.

If anyone has any questions, I'd be glad to help.

I'll start reading this thread now.

Cheers.
Paul.

ben2go

TDI
none
I haven't read the thread yet, but I thought I'd comment.
I just marinized two VW TDI, now SDI, engines, with Mechanical pumps, by Giles.

I'm about to advertise two marine exhaust manifolds, and heat exchangers, no longer needed for my project.

If anyone has any questions, I'd be glad to help.

I'll start reading this thread now.

Cheers.
Paul.

Can you post some pics? If you have fabrication pics, that would be nice.

dukku

TDI
1.9 PD-TDI AJM
PickleRick, I haven't tested IT on water yet. A friend of mine runs a 1.9tdi ARL on a bayliner cuddy cabin using a 1.6 gear ratio. Cruise speed îs about 45-50 km/h at 2300-2500rpm and 70 km/h at WOT.
Im Hoping to get same results with mine.

dukku

TDI
1.9 PD-TDI AJM
Grit, I would also be interested în a marine manifold. Even The building plans would help.

GRIT

TDI
I don't have fabrication pictures, because it's a factory part (pathfinder marine). But here's a photo of the exhaust manifolds, heat exchangers, and water injection elbow.

Sorry for the size of the photo, I don't know how to make it smaller.

Cheers.
Paul.

GRIT

TDI
I used a crankshaft mounted raw water pump from a volvo 350, gas engine. It's a johnson f6b9 pump. You have to split the output, and dump half of it overboard, otherwise you get too much back pressure.

I'll post one more photo, but until I figure out how to make them smaller, I'll refrain from posting more.

Cheers.
Paul.

Last edited:

GRIT

TDI
Yes, they are now NA. I removed the turbos, and got Gyles to modify the pumps. 60hp is more than enough for my purposes. If you wanted to keep the turbos, you'd feed them from the end of the exhaust manifold, and pipe the air to the standard intake manifold. Then inject the water into the exhaust, after the turbo.

Cheers.
Paul.

ben2go

TDI
none
Pathfinder is out of business as far as I can tell. Is there a company remaking manifolds? Your pics didn't show up for me. I know the 1.6 VW was a big hit but only rated at 50hp without a turbo. There are a few listed on EbayUSA.

GRIT

TDI
John, who was, essentially, "Pathfinder", has recently passed away. His Partner, Inge, would still be selling leftover stock.

They sold many marinized vw diesels; including the 1.5l, 1.6l, 1.9l idi engines. John helped me design my TDI/SDI conversion.

You can add the turbo, using an adapter, after the water cooled manifold.

I don't know why I'm having trouble with the pics. They show up for me on the thread.

I can email them to you if you wish.

Cheers.
Paul.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
Grit,

Pics don't show for me. I've got an old 17' SeaRay that needs a new
motor. I see that Mercruiser is now offering diesels, the V6 3l would be ideal for me, I need 200+hp, possible with the 1.9l, but a bit of a
stretch. Guessing here though that the factory version is ez $20k.

Any suggestions?

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
Im wondering if those manifolds will flow enough for 170 to 180 hp range. (200 hp is easy to reach with a BHW 2.0 tdi)

What style turbo flange do the adapters mate to?

GRIT

TDI
I didn't explain properly. You'd have to make an adapter to fit the turbo.
The end of the exhaust manifold is four bolts in a square pattern, the turbos,
I believe, are a triangle pattern. The exhaust gas comes out with the same force, but a little less heat,
so you should get very similar performance from the turbo.

Rruss11, I don't have any suggestions for you at that hp, we downgraded our engines to 60hp each (SDI).
To go up to 200, in a boat, I think would require a larger engine than the ALH. Boat's have a higher demand for
hp, than cars. For a car, once you're up to speed, the hp requirement lowers. For a boat, keeping the speed up,
requires a lot of hp, for a long time. You'll want an engine that can produce 200hp on a continual basis, which
I doubt you could do with an ALH.

Good luck.

Cheers.
Paul.

Last edited: