Vcds showing my max rpm limit at 3100

moosezaf

TDI
2003 Golf 1.9TDI 5 speed manual
I recently got vcds and I have been trying to solve a lack of power issue. When I was monitoring my map and egr the rpm portion showed my actual rpm and when I put the cursor on it it said max rpm 3100 I have 2003 Golf TDI 1.9. Is this normal rpm range?.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Did you log your MAF actual MAF specified MAP Actual and MAP Specified + throttle position from 2000 rpm to 4500 rpm with you pedal to the floor. When you do this you want a good 10 seconds so probably 4th gear or maybe if you are stock 3rd gear.

At 100% throttle your MAF specified should be 850 and your actual MAF should be close or getting there as the MAP specified will be something like 2190 and it will over shoot trying to get the MAF to 850. Now in my 2002 when it would not go past 3100 RPM it was a no CEL MAF failure where even the though boost was fine it did not report anything close to 850. In a stock 2003 the MAF governs the fuel as the EPA says not enough air limit the fuel.

moosezaf

TDI
Yes maf read ok so far I’ve changed maf changed n18 n75 coolant temp sensor, turbo fuel filter, cleaned all the grounds, had the timing belt and water pump done all new vacuum hoses, checked the brake bouster and replace the main vacuum hose on the pump. New down pipe with cat and mid pipe. Installed a boost gauge on the steering columb it won’t go over 10 lbs of boost and or 2500 rpm. Cleaned the intake and reinstalled it checked turbo actuator: starts to move at 5psi finishes at 18psi still no more power. Pressure tested boost piping and found no leaks. Also checked intercooler no leaks or blockages.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
I'm assuming the actuator held the 18 inches (not pounds) of vacuum.
Tee the vacuum pump into the hose going from N75 to the actuator.
When you start the car you should get 10 (or more) inches of vacuum.
The arm on the turbo should move.
When you take off the vacuum should drop.
From your message: ", turbo fuel filter,"
You replaced the turbo and fuel filter?
What was wrong with the old turbo?
I sprayed my boost tubes with soapy water to find a leak I had.
Did it with the engine idling.

moosezaf

TDI
Yes sorry I forgot the comma. Changed the turbo. Bad seal was leaking oil and vnt was frozen. I also sprung for a new actuator. I will try the soapy water when the weather gets a little warmer. So one question when I tee into the actuator line from the n75 am I looking for 10psi or 10 inches of vacuum from the mighty vac.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All the small hoses (3 and 5 MM) are vacuum.
The only pressure (PSI) will be in the boost tubes from the turbo to the intercooler to the intake.
Guess you'll be checking for the boost leak in the spring. :)

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
When I was monitoring my map and egr the rpm portion showed my actual rpm and when I put the cursor on it it said max rpm 3100 I have 2003 Golf TDI 1.9. Is this normal rpm range?.
Boost leaks shouldn't limit RPM's but it could be rough getting up to highway speed.
I'm not sure on that one I've never seen that.
What block were you in 3 or 11?

moosezaf

TDI
I beleave I was looking at block 3 and 13. It’s been a while so I’m not 100% but it may have been 3,8,&13. With regards to the rpm’s it almost feels like the car is nose diving if know what I meen. It just drops in power but boost stays at 10lbs

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Thank you for your response I see that you mention boost leak. What a mass of boost leak contribute to my limit of 2500 rpm’s?
Basically, yes. Yes in that it will, as you note, fall of off cliff such that it'll feel so unresponsive past this point that one isn't likely going to be patient enough to continue trying to get RPMs up.

Diesels are air pumps. W/o enough air you're not going to pull along fuel to get the engine running faster.

Clogged EGR valve and intake can act like this. Most commonly, however, would be the boost "bits"- vacuum lines, N78 valve, turbo actuator etc.).

What replacement turbo did you install? Mentioning that you "also" got a new actuator would suggest that this turbo isn't new or that it's not one of the preferred ones (which all come with new actuators and are factory set/adjusted). I'd tend to toss my dart toward the square that says "adjust actuator."

moosezaf

TDI
You’re correct the turbo came off a Jetta 1.9tdi that was eunnimg and driving fine. But was hit in the rear. Any suggestions on what kind of turbo to replace this one. I was planning on taking the factory turbo to get rebuilt this one is just a means to an end while I get that done. You are also right about holding the pedal down it will climb to about 3100rpm but it sounds scary like I’m going to grenade the engine. But in 5th gear it won’t go past 2600rpm no mater how long I hold the pedal down. I disconnected the egr still no difference. Next I’m going to put in a new intake ( used ) that I cleaned thoroughly and has no carbon in it at all and also going to try disconnecting the down pipe to see if there’s a blockage in the exhaust.
I don’t want to go get a new turbo and find that it’s not the problem. I’ve thrown a lot of parts at this already. Don’t get me wrong I don’t mind buying a newer better turbo I just want to be sure that this is the problem.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
There's no difference between the ALHs as far as stock turbos go. Looking back to one of your earlier posts it appears that the actuator IS adjusted OK.

You mention you are looking to install a cleaned intake, yet in in earlier post you say that a clean one WAS installed.

You say that it sounds like it is going to grenade when you try to push the RPMs beyond 3,100. This doesn't sound right at all. The engine shouldn't be making any more noise than at any other higher-than-idle RPM. Is there something else going on that perhaps you need to disclose?

Who did the TB? Where'd the parts come from?

At this point I'd think that static timing should be checked. I'd also be looking to do a compression test.

moosezaf

TDI
The timiming belt and water pump were done by VW the turbo came out of a friends Jetta and I have t done a compression test. The original intake was cleaned and installed the same time the turbo was changed about a year ago. And the turbo was installed by me. I changed the oil feed line to a flexible braided steel line all new gaskets for turbo and intake I also cleaned the egr cooler and used new gaskets.
When I got the car back from VW they tried to tell me the turbo was blown but I found they had disconnected the vacuum line going to the actuator I reconnected it and it ran better but since they’ve worked on the timing and water pump the car has not ran right. I don’t want to knock the dealer but since they fiddled with car it runs like crap. I went back to them and after having paid $1500 for the work they denied everything and claimed I was wrong Etc. So I have no other choice but to try and figure this out myself.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Intake was removed to clean?

You did a compression test but did not inform folks here? THIS is key stuff! Further, what were the results? (when was it done?)

And, again, what is up with the "grenade" comment? ALSO a KEY bit here. BAD NOISES _AND_ UNABLE TO PROPERLY REV UP screams BIG PROBLEMS.

Remove the serpentine belt and see if that makes the noise go away. If the noise persists then pop the valve cover and look for signs of valve impact (hammered lifters).

The engine could have been needing head work when the dealer dealt with it. OR, if could now need head work because of the work the dealer did; OR, perhaps something YOU did. There's been so much activity here, and multiple hands touching this car that it's going to take a lot of work to ASSESS what's really at the bottom of this.

Might start looking to get your hands on TB tools. Only real way to determine whether the TB job was done correctly: if the engine were running good then one can likely reason that things were done correctly; but, since the engine doesn't run well then there's a call for an assessment of the job.

moosezaf

TDI
No sorry I haven’t done a compression test yet. And the grenadeing I speak of is the sound of the engine high pitch stressing to reach higher rpm limit. It almost sounds like it’s not getting enough fuel. But when I checked on vcds the TDI fuel timing it’s perfect right in the middle of the two lines.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The timiming belt and water pump were done by VW the turbo came out of a friends Jetta and I have t done a compression test.
All the info you're providing is totally suspect. I'll leave you to your own misery here (whatever it is).

moosezaf

TDI
Well thank you anyways. I’m sorry you feel my info is suspect I’ve been open and honest just trying to get some suggestions on the issue plaguing my Golf. But it seems this is beyond the forums help.
Sorry if I have trouble anyone. Have a happy and health new year.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
It's all good.
We all communicate at different wavelengths, it can get confusing.
I'm a champion of miss interpretation sometimes.
The original post, I was confused by the 3300 RPM bit, could that possibly be the max that particular bit would read or is the motor actually not revving beyond 3300?
Try for simplistic approach to troubleshoot. One system at a time.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
IDParts.com has all of that.
They may have a rent the tools also, check with them.
There's also a high mileage belt kit if the car has more then 300K miles (US)

moosezaf

TDI
Hello again everyone. So last week I got a new trouble code PO252 I read up on it a little in the forum and I followed the instructions which were to clear the code and see if it returns. So I did and the code returned last night. Could this be the culprit for my lack of rpm and pour fuel mileage. Next question is can the metering valve be replaced or does the entire pump have to be replaced.
It’s a 2003 Golf TDI 5 speed. Thanks

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hello again everyone. So last week I got a new trouble code PO252
I was not able to look up the code on the Ross Tech site which is odd.
I searched for P0252 (zero not letter O ) as well as PO252.
A Google search did find 'Injection pump fuel metering control A, cam/rotor/injector - range/performance problem' on myturbodiesel site and mention of N88.This could be your lack of RPMs and MPG problem.
Did you check the wires that go into the side of the injector pump for fraying, shorting or such?