Call me crazy! New member of the V10 family.

Sprocket

Sprockette's hubby
TDI
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Eco Diesel, 2005 Passat Silverstone Grey, 1996 Passat Storm Grey
If your Touareg is anything like mine you'll end up realizing the MFI is very optimistic!

I'm getting around 22-24 mpg with 4 less cylinders.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
If your Touareg is anything like mine you'll end up realizing the MFI is very optimistic!

I'm getting around 22-24 mpg with 4 less cylinders.
We're going to find out tomorrow when it gets fed. That was only today's running around... tank average is showing at 18 MPG.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Jason got the T91 Webasto remote control installed this weekend and it works great.

This morning I preheated the truck for about 15 minutes while I was getting ready, and it was nice and warm inside (and engine preheated) by the time I was ready to go (for less than 6 ounces, or 13 cents worth of fuel), which is about the same as running an electric block heater for an hour. :cool:

The controller lives behind the driver's side fuse box. Jason added a 3 amp fuse for it (the purple one).

He also added two more 5 amp fuses (the two brown ones) to replace the fuse taps that the PO installed for the trailer brake controller and the XM receiver.

Last edited:

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Lito,

Like all 04 V10s our truck had OnStar and has a cell + GPS antenna on the roof. However, either the cell frequency is too far off or the antenna has an amplifier in it which the Webasto unit doesn't power.... I got terrible range trying both antenna plugs that went to the OnStar module.

I ended up sticking the antenna that came with the Webasto kit in the corner of the dashboard. I might move it later.

-J

Moesauction!

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2001 tdi 423,000 sold:[ , 2003 tdi 425,000 lower ryder hot rod 17/22 520rc southbend clutch. 2005 mercedes cdi 232,000 sold , 2003 7.3 ford 586,000 miles.
awesome color combo love the leather!!

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
Lito,
Like all 04 V10s our truck had OnStar and has a cell + GPS antenna on the roof. However, either the cell frequency is too far off or the antenna has an amplifier in it which the Webasto unit doesn't power.... I got terrible range trying both antenna plugs that went to the OnStar module.
I ended up sticking the antenna that came with the Webasto kit in the corner of the dashboard. I might move it later.
-J
that sucks. Get this. I was able to connect my Webasto to the roof triplex but when I installed my MFD2, I had to use a puck on the dash for the Navi.

The Triplex wouldn't work.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Hm. Installing the remote in the dash and using the puck made the install much easier... I didn't need to run power and the control wire to the front passenger seat where the onstar module lived.

I don't think the Webasto puck's antenna wire is long enough to get it up at the top middle of the windshield :(

-J

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
Hm. Installing the remote in the dash and using the puck made the install much easier... I didn't need to run power and the control wire to the front passenger seat where the onstar module lived.

I don't think the Webasto puck's antenna wire is long enough to get it up at the top middle of the windshield :(

-J
The range is pretty good. You'd just need an extension cable with a male and female blue fakra on either end if you wanted to run it up the A-pillar across the headliner and down somewhere.

But I'm not sure how much that would improve the range. Before I used the roof antennae, I used the included webasto antennae and it worked great.

This is what I have, not sure the frequencies are exactly the same but it's a small box like this

Male to female 5m cable
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GPS-antenna...097?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item258467b941

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
So it turns out that the truck gets grumpy when it's below 20F outside, so we did some investigating and discovered that the original owner went in for the glow plug recall in 2009 in which VW swapped out the original 7 volt ceramic glow plugs for the infamous 5 volt steel glow plugs that don't work very well. On the 4 cylinder PD engines, VW issued another recall to switch back to 7 volt ceramic plugs with a protective steel sleeve, but V10 owners got left high and dry with the inferior 5 volt plugs.

So we get to do a glow plug job on it and a retune for the different voltage. Fortunately, the correct plugs are less than $10 each since they are a recall item and are priced at cost. :)

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Nope. Just regular dumb plugs whose only purpose in life is to get hot. :)

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Count yourself lucky. My wife's grandfather's jetta has four, so not a cheap swap.

I've got two, and had them replaced.
Our Passat has four, as well. $100 each. The Touareg has plenty of other more expensive components to make up for it, though. ;)

Boom Boom

TDI
2011 Red JSW TDI and I want a few more diesels
I'm paying the local shop (not dealer) to do it. He has a good reputation and works on quite a few TDIs.
HI Veedub,
Nice T Reg. Who does your service work? I am in springfield as well and looking for some one other than a dealer. thanks

VeeDubTDI

TDI
HI Veedub,
Nice T Reg. Who does your service work? I am in springfield as well and looking for some one other than a dealer. thanks
Jason (compu_85) does a lot of it in our driveway. Electrical diagnostics, regular service items like filters and oil changes, brakes, etc.

The front differential was done by Merv's Automotive at the corner of Old Keene Mill and Backlick across from the Motel 6. Merv always has a few TDIs on his lot, but he doesn't have VCDS, so his abilities are a bit limited. I'd recommend him for general VW work, but not TDI-specific stuff unless it's basic.

If you want a good TDI-specific shop, check out PD Autowerks out in Winchester. It's a bit of a drive, but that's what TDIs are for and I like having the piece of mind that the person working on my car knows all of the ins and outs. ;)

Where in Springfield are you? We are in the neighborhood behind the Library on Commerce Street.

Boom Boom

TDI
2011 Red JSW TDI and I want a few more diesels
Jason (compu_85) does a lot of it in our driveway. Electrical diagnostics, regular service items like filters and oil changes, brakes, etc.

The front differential was done by Merv's Automotive at the corner of Old Keene Mill and Backlick across from the Motel 6. Merv always has a few TDIs on his lot, but he doesn't have VCDS, so his abilities are a bit limited. I'd recommend him for general VW work, but not TDI-specific stuff unless it's basic.

If you want a good TDI-specific shop, check out PD Autowerks out in Winchester. It's a bit of a drive, but that's what TDIs are for and I like having the piece of mind that the person working on my car knows all of the ins and outs. ;)

Where in Springfield are you? We are in the neighborhood behind the Library on Commerce Street.
Thanks for the info. I live on north side of Lake Accotink.
I drove the 2007 T Reg at Sheehy today which they are asking $19.7k at 98k miles. Big crack in the dash. Dealer said they paid $15.5k for it and put in close to $3k (at dealer prices). They have zero history but know it was owned by someone with their own shop? They changed 2 glow plugs, oil and fuel filter, and left front cross arm link to get to $3k. The V10 torque is impressive.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Thanks for the info. I live on north side of Lake Accotink.
I drove the 2007 T Reg at Sheehy today which they are asking $19.7k at 98k miles. Big crack in the dash. Dealer said they paid $15.5k for it and put in close to $3k (at dealer prices). They have zero history but know it was owned by someone with their own shop? They changed 2 glow plugs, oil and fuel filter, and left front cross arm link to get to $3k. The V10 torque is impressive.
I looked at that V10 while it was up on the lift in the shop a couple of weeks ago. I thought they were going to do all ten glow plugs and am surprised that they didn't. I wonder which ones are in it.

Their asking price is way too high, in my opinion. I might stop by to take it for a test drive just for fun.

corrado9184

TDI
v10tdi x 2 98 TDI Jetta
Glad you found the Joy of the V10, i have two of them myself, both 04's. The first one is stock and was a blast to drive. Lost it in the Divorce and just got it back because it ate a valve. The other one had the top end redone with new Cams and bigger turbos, plus a tune on the ECMs. Its a little laggy compared to the stock V10, but then the turbos hit and your at 18psi with a smile on you face.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Glad you found the Joy of the V10, i have two of them myself, both 04's. The first one is stock and was a blast to drive. Lost it in the Divorce and just got it back because it ate a valve. The other one had the top end redone with new Cams and bigger turbos, plus a tune on the ECMs. Its a little laggy compared to the stock V10, but then the turbos hit and your at 18psi with a smile on you face.
Very cool! Do you have any videos of the modded V10?

corrado9184

TDI
v10tdi x 2 98 TDI Jetta
There is a write up on the modded v10 by the original owner that had it built. As of right now i don't have a video, but it hauled my 31 ft travel trailer like it wasnt even there. It liked to cruise at about 90mph with the trailer so i had to pay attention or i was speeding before i knew it. Hit a Deer 34 days into owning it and they told me i had done 9k in damage and the insurance company totaled it on me. I turned around bought it back and have 1700 in parts, now its just waiting on me to get it repainted. Figure i might get the dent on the door fixed when i paint it. Other things have come up and paint at this moment is the least of my worry. Have to rebuild the engine on the other one now and will probably have to spend 5k in parts to do that. Plus have to buy a house and move my Volkswagen fleet when i do.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Sounds like they're keeping you busy! Good luck with all of the projects and the house move. :eek: