www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old October 28th, 2011, 08:39   #1
Dariof
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2011 JSW TDI
Fuel Economy: Whatever the Highest Number Was. That's It.
Default Back-Up Lighting---Kind of a FAIL!

Has anyone else noticed the back-up lighting on these JSW's is worthless?

Yesterday in a dark area I couldn't see a thing as I backed up.......and yes, they're coming on.

Are there any mods or stronger bulbs that anyone knows of?
2008 Mercedes GL 320 CDI (Diesel)
Dariof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2011, 13:33   #2
dmarsingill
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 34.5 mpg 135000 miles

Best ones I've ever owned.

Donald
dmarsingill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2011, 14:39   #3
Dariof
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarsingill View Post
Best ones I've ever owned.

Donald

You're kidding, right?

If you honestly feel these back-up lights do anything, then I need to bring my car into the dealer to see *** is going on.
Old October 28th, 2011, 16:09   #4
StaceyS
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2011 JSW 6MT
Fuel Economy: 40.6 mpg (54 fill ups)

I bought some high power halogen replacement bulbs for my last car. They work really well. When my last car died, I pulled the bulbs out and stuck them in the JSW.

http://www.amazon.com/Halogen-Style-.../dp/B0007N207G

I agree, the JSW's back up lighting is marginal. These halogen bulbs definitely help, but I'd still say they are less than what my last car could do.

Just a warning: These bulbs are way overpowered for the application. They run hot, and the box even has a warning on them not to leave them on for long periods. I've never had a problem with them, but it is something to consider. I'm going to run them until I can figure out a good LED replacement.
StaceyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2011, 17:02   #5
IMAAaron
Veteran Member

Having only ONE clear lens out back doesn't help matters either. Check twice, reverse slowly, and be careful.
Old October 28th, 2011, 17:26   #6
Dariof
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaceyS View Post
I bought some high power halogen replacement bulbs for my last car. They work really well. When my last car died, I pulled the bulbs out and stuck them in the JSW.

http://www.amazon.com/Halogen-Style-.../dp/B0007N207G

I agree, the JSW's back up lighting is marginal. These halogen bulbs definitely help, but I'd still say they are less than what my last car could do.

Just a warning: These bulbs are way overpowered for the application. They run hot, and the box even has a warning on them not to leave them on for long periods. I've never had a problem with them, but it is something to consider. I'm going to run them until I can figure out a good LED replacement.
Thanks for the link. I'm going to order a couple and change out the dim lights they put on these cars.

I actually asked my daughter the other day to get out of the car and look to see if the back-ups were even on.
Old October 28th, 2011, 17:27   #7
Dariof
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMAAaron View Post
Having only ONE clear lens out back doesn't help matters either. Check twice, reverse slowly, and be careful.
Exactly!.. Now I just have to figure out how to take t he lens housing off so I an put in the halogens StaceyS suggested.
Old October 29th, 2011, 12:55   #8
dmarsingill
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 34.5 mpg 135000 miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dariof View Post
You're kidding, right?

If you honestly feel these back-up lights do anything, then I need to bring my car into the dealer to see *** is going on.
No....they even are brighter than the Expedition we have, and they are huge. I guess I've always had crap reverse lights!

Donald
dmarsingill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2011, 13:48   #9
StaceyS
Veteran Member

I think some car companies think reversing lights are more "indicators" rather than lights you actually use to see with. (Letting other drivers know you are backing up, vs actually letting you see what you are backing up into)

For most suburban drivers, I think this is fine, since most reversing is done in parking lots and other lit areas. For those of us in more rural areas, backing up at night needs lights that actually light up where you're going.

My last car was an '85 Volvo 740 and the reversing lights were huge, with a proper reflector and decent lens. With the halogen bulbs, I had no problem lighting up to see. The JSW has probably 1/2 or 1/3 less light coming out, even with the same bulbs.
Old October 29th, 2011, 14:37   #10
Personne
Veteran Member

Quote:
I'm going to run them until I can figure out a good LED replacement.
Is the back-up lighting monitored like the other circuits ? Wouldn't LEDs throw some code and a warning light in the cluster ?
Personne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2011, 15:08   #11
Dariof
Veteran Member

Quote:
I think some car companies think reversing lights are more "indicators" rather than lights you actually use to see with. (Letting other drivers know you are backing up, vs actually letting you see what you are backing up into)

For most suburban drivers, I think this is fine, since most reversing is done in parking lots and other lit areas. For those of us in more rural areas, backing up at night needs lights that actually light up where you're going.

My last car was an '85 Volvo 740 and the reversing lights were huge, with a proper reflector and decent lens. With the halogen bulbs, I had no problem lighting up to see. The JSW has probably 1/2 or 1/3 less light coming out, even with the same bulbs.
Exactly. Although I do not live in a rural area, there are poorly lit parking lots where I can't see anything when backing. I mean, I can't even tell the back up lights have come on.

My MZB and Porsche throw out light almost like the headlights......that is a good thing.
Old October 29th, 2011, 21:38   #12
koharatx

Fuel Economy: 3 Apr 13, AVG: 7.1l/100Km/33 MPG (short trips/100+ mph on autobahn/cold weather)

If my backup lights don't illuminate anything when they come on, that just tells me there is nothing directly behind me... I don't need to see 100 feet behind me to back up 15 feet.
koharatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2011, 08:59   #13
Dariof
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by koharatx View Post
If my backup lights don't illuminate anything when they come on, that just tells me there is nothing directly behind me... I don't need to see 100 feet behind me to back up 15 feet.
I agree with you and neither do I. But mine don't illuminate anything.....15 ft or closer. Heck, a lit candle would provide better lighting.

These BU lights are worthless. I'm going to change out the bulbs to halogens to see if that helps.

Last edited by Dariof; October 30th, 2011 at 09:27.
Old October 30th, 2011, 18:31   #14
Feyd
Veteran Member

I saw someone who had put HIDs in their Mk5... waaaaay to bright, but I liked the thought. They are weak-sauce on my Golf too..
Feyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2011, 11:56   #15
StaceyS
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by koharatx View Post
I don't need to see 100 feet behind me to back up 15 feet.
Not so much needed for distance as being able to see stuff around and on the ground I'm about to back over. Its happened to me enough times over the years that I have found myself benefiting from brighter reversing lights: being on narrow dirt roads, construction sites, irregular and non-paved surfaces. I don't go looking for such circumstances, but such is my life and the operating conditions of my vehicle. (Our JSW is 11 months old and has a little over 10k miles on it. I'd estimate that it has about 200 miles of off road or non-paved surface miles on it.)
Also, as we enter the snowy season, being able to see areas of snow, and have enough light to be able to judge that snow (freshly fallen light snow you can drive through or a solidly packed clod of plow trash) is the difference between backing up without issue and maybe losing a mudflap or getting stuck.