www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old May 29th, 2018, 18:21   #1096
hamilgs
Veteran Member

Highest firmware revision depends on which model of RNS-510 you have. See: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-5382-U...53.m2749.l2649

There he gives firmware versions VS RNS-510 versions. I chose to buy my firmware (for USA “J” model with version 4369, indicating I have an SSD, apparently not all J versions do) update from him. I’m sure there are less expensive options to get the firmware. However Peter was a Continental dealer and repair service until 2015, when development of the RNS-510 stopped (so I read). I decided that his knowledge was worth the cost to me. He noted that there were “tons of bug fixes from very first SSD based firmware 4369. 5238 is some seven versions news than 4369”. He also answered that the firmware 5238 will not “reformat” the SSD, thus losing all my maps (I have the map DVD also). I then asked about Bluetooth and MDI firmware updates, which he stated “there were no updates, even from VW”. I don’t know where else I could have gotten such advice.–george

I did the firmware (& operating system) upgrade in about an hour, as Peter states. Some of the prompts from VW area bit scary, but as Peter says "just wait it out". Prior to firmware upgrade, the startup screen (VW logo in foreground, map of the world in background) was shifted with a horizontal split near the bottom of the circle surround the "VW" letters. This was not a problem, merely annoying. The firmware upgrade fixed that too. I guess the picture file was reloaded as a part of the upgrade. So if you have the "split VW logo" try reinstalling the firmware. I don't know that I can tell that the RNS is any faster, or GPS performance any better, but I sure feel better with the latest. Peter notes that Sirius XM reception will be improved, but I'm too cheap to subscribe.

I've been corresponding with Peter and asked for a (semi) technical description of the operation of the RNS-510, and he responded with:

In regards to technical aspect of the OS running on RNS-510 it is of similar to unix. I'm no expert in it, as I only have factory tools from Continental to repair these units with their own interface. For example when replacing a hard drive the NAND memory partition has to be wiped before full firmware can be installed to initialize the hard disk drive and partition it properly.
In regards to boot and what happens during boot is fairly simple. Each function is launched almost like an app and runs in the background. To what I know Radio starts first, then rear view camera, sirius, and last is Navi portion of the unit.
These are not the quickest units out there but the last revision of them with SSD drive is very solid unit and easily repairable if something should go bad as there are parts available for them.
Newer units I sell from MK7 cars called MIB2 are much more complicated as they tie into the cars electronics so deep, that if not coded correctly systems of the specific car module can shut down. We are reaching a point in time, where car radios will no longer be replaced by third party, and car manufacturers want to eliminate third party parts installation on any cars as it causes a headache for them, and people want to claim warranty caused by these parts on many occasions.
'14 JSW MT6 TDI

Last edited by hamilgs; June 3rd, 2018 at 14:21. Reason: add to knowledge
hamilgs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2018, 19:46   #1097
jaberoo
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamilgs View Post
Highest firmware revision depends on which model of RNS-510 you have. See: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-5382-U...53.m2749.l2649

Thank you for giving us that tip. After checking that my 510 has the SSD, I bought the CD from this source. It arrived within a couple of days; I installed the upgrades and, so far, I feel it was worth every penny. My biggest previous gripe was the unpredictablity of the backup camera delay. Crossed fingers, but so far it's almost instantaneous, like all other makes. Installation went uneventful - took 50 minutes, as advertised. Too soon to know if Radio, SD or Nav are any better. Certainly no worse. Screen buttons feel more responsive. I'm not planning to upgrade the maps. I live in New England, where things change slowly, or not at all.