www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > Non VW Group Diesels

Non VW Group Diesels This section is for discusion of Non VWGroup Diesels.

Old March 27th, 2018, 11:39   #91
tikal
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 37 MPG (~ 45% city)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013 tdi fan View Post
7,000 miles driven average fuel economy is 42mpg.I also got on fuelly and am tracking the miles and fill ups there for the benefit of the masses. Only thing that sucks is adding def i figure 2.5 gallons per 3,000 miles give or take.
Thank you sir for entering your MPG data into Fuelly! A FE of 42 MPG is excellent for an SUV. It will beat the Toyota RAV4 hybrid by a good margin (32 based on Fuelly vs. 42 MPG). How does the Equinox MPG do under load with passengers and cargo?
tikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2018, 19:36   #92
Jaestar3000

Fuel Economy: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrunner33 View Post
Do they at least have adjustable head rests? The previous generation had horrible seats, and the head rests were in a fixed position that was both uncomfortable and dangerous. A few of my relatives were rear ended in one of the older ones, it didn't end well.
We just got an Equinox Premier last week with the leather seats. Extremely supportive, almost stiff seats with better bolsters than my Volt, about like my 2009 Jetta, not as "tight" as the latest JSW or GSW seats but I found those pinch my back. Headrests are just like VW in the front, adjustable and foldable in the back. Basically, they're taking on every car wagon or compact SUV in that price range, you'll find it handles as well as or better than any compact SUV up to the Mazda CX-5 (according to reviews) and has all the same features as the competition (plus a better infotainment center). The 6 speed auto is tuned for economy so you have to mash it to go, but it goes once you understand how to make it take you seriously. We went from the Jetta wagon directly to this and really didn't have to change driving style, yeah it's taller but it it's confident without excessive body roll. They did a good job on it.

Things I miss, manual tranny, that little red map light and in some places VW level quality interior materials and fit. However in some ways GM showed they're hungry and exceeded in clearly American ways like ventilated seats, a place to stow the sliding cargo cover bar under the floor, seats that fold flat and clearly American bucketloads of storage cubbies.

Also came with an oil pan heater cable
In order for the wife and I: 2000 Golf GLS TDI, 2004 Jetta Wagon GLS TDI, 1982 diesel RabbitTruck, (all sold), 2009 Jetta TDI (buyback'ed!), 2010 JSW TDI, all stick shifts! 2014 CHEVY VOLT - 1 gear manual transmission
Jaestar3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2018, 19:54   #93
Jaestar3000

Surprises in the Equinox / stuff that doesn't get much press.

Auto reverse tilt side mirrors.
Not only does the rear view mirror auto dim, the driver mirror does too.
Transmission can detect you're going down a steep grade and downshift for compression braking.
Has active cabin noise cancelling.
One of those kick under the bumper rear hatch opener thingies.
The radiator has louvers that close to increase aerodynamics.
Automatic engine start / stop at traffic lights in a diesel is really remarkable, works flawlessly.
Refined traction control allows more slippage in snow to counter the tendency of traction control systems putting the brakes on all drive wheels when they're all slipping - stopping the car. (this did get press, I saw a review video of it).
Panoramic sunroof has a solid shade instead of a droopy screen (that will fall on you after 7 years in a VW).
Two position rear seats / slightly reclining.
Approved for B20 fuel, is noted in the manual.
In order for the wife and I: 2000 Golf GLS TDI, 2004 Jetta Wagon GLS TDI, 1982 diesel RabbitTruck, (all sold), 2009 Jetta TDI (buyback'ed!), 2010 JSW TDI, all stick shifts! 2014 CHEVY VOLT - 1 gear manual transmission

Last edited by Jaestar3000; March 28th, 2018 at 19:58. Reason: forgot stuff
Old March 29th, 2018, 05:34   #94
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Nice reviews Jaestar. My rental last week had very few of those options. Not surprised about the stiffer seats. That was one thing my wife didn't like about the new canyon we test drove.
Old March 29th, 2018, 06:43   #95
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

Jaestar, the features you mentioned are mostly unique to the Premier. What was the MSRP on that vehicle?
Old March 29th, 2018, 08:49   #96
thorp

Congrats Jeastar.
I came "dangerously" close to buying this Equinox ($38K out the door). I think it has every option available. One big turn off for me was that this particular vehicle was featured in the LA Auto Show. It had close to 300 miles on it, a dented trim piece on the right rear door and a paint chip. I'm grateful now that I learned about this before signing -- motivated me to walk.
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...lCode1=EQUINOX
The Equinox TDs are feature rich and well thought out. The storage space with seats folded is excellent. i'm back to searching for a used low mile 15' Passat TDI that is more in my price range ($20K).
thorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2018, 09:46   #97
Jaestar3000

We got out the door for about $36K due to waiting the dealer out and significant incentives this month, plus end of quarter and indeed it has every freaking option on it. However I do think this will be the price most people will pay for the diesel. The base models are flying off the lot but these TDs are going to sit a while waiting for the right customer to want an AWD, TD, Premier with a sunroof when the un-educated will go for the 2.0L version instead (requires premium fuel, yuck). Ours sat around over 100 days. Seems like a lot but it's about the same as a Rav4 hybrid or really any others with AWD at top trim. The diesel LT with the sunroof is the real bargain here, those are going for well under $30k.

Oh, MSRP was $42k on this one and I got it 300 miles away.

@indigobluewagon, really only the mirrors and rear hatch I mentioned are exclusive. Everything else is either standard or common on the LT, which is the base level on the diesel (I think).
Old March 29th, 2018, 09:57   #98
Jaestar3000

Thorp, since we got ours out of state only from pictures it already had 100 miles on it, a door ding, was missing the blue TD badge on the back and dumb out of state front license plate holder. Our dealer fixed it all (plus all weather mats thrown in for our troubles) so you probably could have made out like a bandit on that one.

I think I got so used to dealing with TDIs (with manual trans) selling at a premium with little bargaining power, I didn't realize how far bent over backwards a US auto dealer will go to put the keys in your hand. All the reviews say the Equinox is overpriced, I think that too, but fortunately doesn't look like MSRP is even close to what you'll pay.
Old March 31st, 2018, 08:48   #99
thorp

Jaestar, thanks for the additional info. You really did some smart negotiating. I failed to mention that the one I was looking at was only 2 wheel drive, not AWD. The dealer I was working with ended up quoting $500 below Costco pricing. Should I pursue an Equinox TD in the future I will now be better informed regarding what a good deal really looks like.
thorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2018, 19:13   #100
Jaestar3000

Yeah, no AWD is a deal breaker, I'm with you.

Did a 200 mile trip this weekend. The car computer's MPG avg for the trip was 41.5 at 60 - 75 mph. Not bad for a bigass vehicle. However, the first tank averaged 32 MPG and shy of 500 miles (didn't have a pen to write it down) which I hope gets better after it gets in a routine. The seats are real firm but it was nice to be eye to eye with all the other SUVs on the road.
Old April 3rd, 2018, 19:20   #101
Jaestar3000

I see nobody is really talking about GMCs uglier Terrain version with its weird transmission push buttons. If it turns out to be a dud, could be a real bargain at the end of the year.