Biodiesel Handling & Use Guidelines from National Biodiesel Board

pharmgdb

TDI
2005 2500 GMC Duramax; would like to upgrade my wife to diesel
Page 9 #3 states:
3. B100 is not compatible with some hoses and gaskets. B100 may soften and degrade certain types of rubber compounds found in hoses and gaskets (i.e. buna N, nitrile, natural rubber) and may cause them to leak and become degraded to the point they crumble and become useless. This could cause a fuel spill on a hot engine, could ruin a fuel pump, or could result in filter clogging as the hose material gradually wears away. If using B100, extreme care should be taken to ensure that any part of the fuel system that touches the fuel is compatible with B100. Some systems already have biodiesel resistant materials (i.e. Viton™) but many do not because these materials are usually slightly more expensive.

I thought Buna N and Nitrile were fine for biodiesel. I did some searches and recently there was some mention of not the compatability but the heat causing failures with these compounds. Any uptoday information on this?

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Up to date? Only in as much as Buna-N and nitrile and natural rubber have not been compatible with methyl esters since before there was Buna-N or nitrile rubber. Methyl esters were produced as a by-product of soap manufacturing back in the middle ages. They didn't become "biodiesel" until about a hundred years ago when Rudy developed his compression ignition engine.
Natural rubber was known before methyl esters were produced, but was a very scarce substance, and not much more than a novelty. The vulcanization process hadn't yet been discovered to allow wide use of natural rubber in anything.

highender

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Hello : I am new here...and just bought a jetta tdi and have owned it for only 1 day so far. My question is : where can we get biodiesel ? Can we add some used frying oil to our diesel tank ?( I know, sounds crazy..eh ?)

How does one go about this...?

pharmgdb

TDI
2005 2500 GMC Duramax; would like to upgrade my wife to diesel
if you are new to alternative fuel, read through www.journeytoforever.org they have info on biodiesel, waste vegetable oil, etc. There are some basics to the waste vegetable oil, like filtering, drying the oil. Converting the engine to run on waste vegetable oil with a special tank. do your reading first then come back to this site. This is my humble recomendation.