100,000 Miles

Jaybird

This morning I rolled over 100,000 miles on my 2000 Jetta TDI. It only took 752 days with my commute and I couldn't be happier with the car. My mileage stats are:

Avg. MPG: 48.06
Last MPG: 48.61

My car is stock, except for the intake screen being removed, and the only problem has been that my front passenger window failed @ 89,850. The stock Michelin tires lasted 99,320. It seems most people post topics on the board when they have a problem with their TDI. I wanted to post this because I love this engine and I would not hesitate in buying another TDI.

speedR

Veteran Member
Damn. Congratulations!!. That's like what 140,000 kilometers. Any problems so far whatsoever?? Don't forget to tell us when you reach 200,000 miles in the next two years.

[ November 26, 2001: Message edited by: speedR ]</p>

Tom Kuc

Veteran Member
Jaybird, good news, I think the key is going to be keeping the car 'stock'- But nearly 100k on the Energy tires is incredible, what pressures are you keeping them up to?, and how little thread was left??

Dana Hanchett

Veteran Member
TDI
I have just turned 94K miles on my 98 NB TDI 5sp. and am loving it. Avg 45.7 mpg. I got 80K safe miles on my Michelins as they had 3/32 tread left so I purchased 4 new ones. I run 30/30lbs front and rear. I also got 80K safe miles out of the VW brakes so I again installed original VW brake parts. I replaced my timing belt (ugly job) just before 80K mile TB set up was released. I have kept my TDI stock and am loving it. Got to go now and clean out my intake track. Already have cleaned out intercooler. Delvac has proven good to my TDI.

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
Congratulations!!

May you drive your car many, many more miles - and keep us posted!

My OEM Michelin's are at 41k and look about half worn. Love 'em.

Good luck,

~BeetleGo

P.S. Why don't we have a section for 100k'ers, 200k'ers, etc? Kinda like a hall of fame?

[ November 26, 2001: Message edited by: BeetleGo ]</p>

gardentender

RIP, Gone But Not Forgotten
TDI
Jetta GL 5 spd, 2001, Galactic Blue
Jaybird,
yes, that mileage on the Michelin Energy tires is great!! i have 46K on mine with about 2.5mm of tread left. will probably have to tippytoe to 60K or so before replacement.

what's YOUR secret?

[ November 26, 2001: Message edited by: gardentender ]</p>

garrettp

Former Chip-Monk
TDI
2000 JEDI
dang, i have 93,600 miles on my 2000 JEDI TDI. hoping to hit 100,000 before the end of the year

i have been chipped since 15,000 miles

jxpfeer

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Silver Jetta GLS, lux
awesome mileage stories guys! i hope to get 200k out of my jetta before I trade it in... with my commute that'll be no time

RES

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 1997 Passat (Totaled in Accident) 2010 Jetta Sportwagon TDI
Any high mileage cars with Goodyear LS's.

3kidsnadezl

Veteran Member
I am not far behind at 88K (98 Jetta Tdi 5spd). Bone stock and not a lick a trouble. I must say I am on my third set of tires. Original Goodyear's left me a 40k and Dunlop ended at 80k. I just put on Avid H4's and love how quiet they are. My goal is 200k before my daughter is 10 years old (she's 5 now).

Autoguy

Veteran Member
I Only have 42k on my 2000 Jetta, but absolutely no complaints or problems. Unfortunately mine came with goodyears : ( I just replaced them at 40k with four new Michelin's. Overall average mileage to date 49!!

Jaybird

I kept my tires inflated to 40~42 psi and rotated them every 10k. They could have gone farther but the tread was worn to the point that wet condition driving was unsafe. I replaced them with Yokohama YK420 tires. Discount Tire wanted $121.00 for the Michelin Energy's. The Michelin's seem to have a much stiffer sidewall than the Yokohama's, so I did give up some handling.

gardentender

RIP, Gone But Not Forgotten
TDI
Jetta GL 5 spd, 2001, Galactic Blue
Jaybird,
Which edition Michelin Energy tire is for $121?
The online site for Discount Tire stores around here lists two different prices for Energys, $113 and $142 each, and i cannot determine the technical difference between the two.

If i am only going to get 50K or so out of a set, i might go for something cheaper. i expected the Michelins to last far beyond 60K.

Have kept mine inflated to about 32 psi front and 30 rear, except on long smooth trips where i go to 38/36. And still, the wear seems to be even.
Maybe you don't accelerate on long, curving on-ramps as much as i do.

BlueberryGirl

TDI
New Beetle, 1998, Blue Lagoon
Just for your information Tire Rack was having a sale on the Michelin Energy MXV4+ 205/55 R16 tires for $99 (NB) and the same tires that fit the Jetta's 15 inch wheels for $89. You can order from their website at:

www.thetirerack.com

They often seem to have good deals on tires. I just changed Blueberry's tires at 67k miles...but they were completely unsafe on wet pavement.
I practically would go in the ditch if a squirrel peed on the road, it was bad.

[ November 27, 2001: Message edited by: BlueberryGirl ]</p>

brian

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI (sold)
MXV4+'s aren't worth the cost to me. I replaced them at 60K with lots of life left in them, I was completely tired of the ride.

I've got 122,000 miles on my 2000 Jetta.

Overall I've taken my TDI many places and like its performance. Service is a challenge to find and this may prevent me from buying another Volkswagen.

Brian

BlueberryGirl

TDI
New Beetle, 1998, Blue Lagoon
What psi did you run your tires at Brian? If I run mine (reasonably loaded) at 28-29psi front and 25-26psi rear they ride pretty nice and lasted 65k easily which isn't bad for a good handling all weather tire.

jonathan290

Veteran Member
I just turned 158,000 miles on my 1999.5 Silver Beauty Jetta. All stock, except for tires, water pump and timing belts. Still on the original brake pads!!!
Still getting 50-52 mpg. An amazing engine!!!

farmerchuck

Hey Jaybird,
Thanks for some GOOD NEWS!! With all the negative comments I have been reading lately I was begining to think that may be I made a mistake in purchasing a Jetta TDI.

Again Thanks!

justme

Veteran Member
Only 90k on the 96 Passat. Over the last 6 months we've been putting more miles on the two a4 tdi's we've bought recently, a bug and a golf. We would have gone over 100 on the passat for sure without the other two TDIs in the family (which got 20k on them in the last 6 months). The only problems besides maintenance were: 1 window (broken wires between door and body), trunk lock, cat converter and muffler. Those problems weren't cheap, but we aren't complaining. The car has been incredibly reliable and drives like a dream. The body is in great shape and the whole thing is surely good for many many more miles.