Will not honor extended warranty

TDIGirly

TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI, 2016 Chevy Colorado Duramax Diesel
I was going to keep my vehicle as long as it economically made sense. The glow plugs started flashing, and apparently my A3 TDI needs a new turbo at 87,000. The dealer says the vehicle is driveable for now and the wastegate is sticking. I honestly forgot I had purchased an extended warranty (100k mi or 72mo), and found the paperwork upon digging for my title. Much to my dismay the warranty company refuses to do any work being this is considered a buyback. They say the turbo is a emissions issue, which is VW problem. Economically, I have no choice but to turn it in.

l5pguy

TDI
14 Passat SE
First, make sure that Audi's emissions warranty does not cover those parts. It probably ended at 8 years/80k miles and may not have included those issue, but just to be safe I'd check. If it is still covered by Audi's warranty, it makes sense the extended warranty will not cover it.

Second, if you want to keep the car and the problems are listed as covered by the extended warranty that you purchased, you need to escalate the issue with them, and if they refuse get an attorney involved.

Without having the dealer's diagnosis, a copy of the Audi emissions warranty and the year of your car, and the copy of the extended warranty... can't really give a final answer here.

TDIGirly

TDI
Audi/dealership does not cover it. (they do cover some exhaust flap, other small part/ as others have cited on here) I had Audi (since they did say it is a turbo replacement) call the warranty company (Wachovia) since the contract says dealership files the claim. The dealership did have a long conversation with Wachovia, and dealership said, Wachovia was going to honor the work, but in the end decided they were not going to/ being it is under a buyback. I called and told Wachovia I was under no agreement at the time to return the car. Wachovia insisted this is a VW issue. They are not touching anything regarding emissions.

I called VW they told me they would fix the turbo if I agree to the modification, and that work would be performed when the vehicle is slated for repair in MAY 2018. The VW rep said I my best option is to turn the car in.

My upset husband called Wachovia lastly, he argued that we purchased this contract (2012) way before the buyback to insure coverage for the vehicle Audi 2012 A3 TDI . NO go... EXCLUSION #24 ....Your last option is correct this would have to go to small claims. Heads up! Warranty work is NOT being honored.

*Wachovia says: Extended warranty EXCLUSION#24 (the last one) : Any mechanical breakdown covered by any limited warranty, manufacturers warranty , manufacturer's and/or dealer customer assistance program, repairer's guarantee, warranty, or insurance policy, whether collectible or not. Your responsibility for making sure that all remaining manufacturer's original warranties are transferred to You.

Last edited:

maybe368

Veteran Member
TDI
Happily none
Audi/dealership does not cover it. (they do cover some exhaust flap, other small part/ as others have cited on here) I had Audi (since they did say it is a turbo replacement) call the warranty company (Wachovia) since the contract says dealership files the claim. The dealership did have a long conversation with Wachovia, and dealership said, Wachovia was going to honor the work, but in the end decided they were not going to/ being it is under a buyback. I called and told Wachovia I was under no agreement at the time to return the car. Wachovia insisted this is a VW issue. They are not touching anything regarding emissions.

I called VW they told me they would fix the turbo if I agree to the modification, and that work would be performed when the vehicle is slated for repair in MAY 2018. The VW rep said I my best option is to turn the car in.

My upset husband called Wachovia lastly, he argued that we purchased this contract (2012) way before the buyback to insure coverage for the vehicle Audi 2012 A3 TDI . NO go... EXCLUSION #24 ....Your last option is correct this would have to go to small claims. Heads up! Warranty work is NOT being honored.

*Wachovia says: Extended warranty EXCLUSION#24 (the last one) : Any mechanical breakdown covered by any limited warranty, manufacturers warranty , manufacturer's and/or dealer customer assistance program, repairer's guarantee, warranty, or insurance policy, whether collectible or not. Your responsibility for making sure that all remaining manufacturer's original warranties are transferred to You.
At the very least, I would cancel the warranty to recoup the residual value, if any...Mark

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
It's time for court - sue Wachovia for the ENTIRE amount of what the "extended warranty" costs you, since they aren't going to honor it.

This is one reason I don't bother with them....

Armby

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf
It's time for court - sue Wachovia for the ENTIRE amount of what the "extended warranty" costs you, since they aren't going to honor it.

This is one reason I don't bother with them....
If a buy back is acceptable, I agree. If Wacovia are not going to cover anything because the car is subject to a buy back get ALL your extended warranty money money back and take the buyback

However if you really want to keep the car then I would go crazy on Wachovia. I don't see that exclusion#24 applies if you are not getting the car bought back. Its not Wachovia choice on buy back vs fix, it your choice. (BTW dealer offering to fix it in 2018 is ridiculous.)

Don't rollover on this.

l5pguy

TDI
14 Passat SE

Wachovia is giving you the runaround. They are attempting to use the buyback to say they don't have to pay for a turbo replacement which is BS. If you have an attorney you use, now's the time to give them a call and ask for suggestions... a simple letter to them may resolve the problem.

Random_Vibration

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL TDI (6MT, LP, Driver Assist)
Wachovia has decided to not honor your warranty and are playing wild and loose with an exclusion clause which only applies if you execute a buyback. If you haven't done that, they are still on the hook for the turbo. Turbo failure has nothing to do with the VW emmisions issue and if you took the fix, the turbo would still be broken. They are assuming that you don't have the time or means to fight them so they are taking an approach to not pay the claim. If you do have the time and means, I suggest you do fight this because it looks like a breach of a contract.

It's a case of a big guys with lawyers trying to screw a little guy without them.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
sounds like all you need is a VNT actuator, its gotta be cheaper and quicker to just have an indy shop replace it than go to court.

Also you get what you pay for warranties, IE a hole in your pocket!

wilcharl

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI BOUGHT BACK 23 NOV 16. Now owner of 2016 Jeep Cherokee
I would ratchet it up a little bit. First of all the car has to be in a fully repaired state to receive the emissions modification. If the extended warranty covers the Turbocharger (it should) then the warranty company needs to make the repairs. I don't think your extended warranty has a clause that says if in the future your vehicle manufacturer has to do a recall then the warranty and parts are not covered.

TDIGirly

TDI
Honestly, I am not willing to put another dime into this car - Arguing/Lawyer/Court . I am at that Crossroad. It is like talking to a wall dealing with Wachovia. They keep reciting exclusion #24 to get out of it. Lesson learned...exclusions! Anytime the dealership touches it, it is 100+ dollars an hour. IMO it does not look like there is going to be a fix for this vehicle. The modification is for May 2018! VW rep told me they would repair the turbo at that time as part of the modification. I can't see that being true, but I hope it happens for others if they hang in and are that attached to the vehicle. I think everyone will have to turn these cars in eventually. (especially after seeing the crushed car pictures) Even if you make repairs, you may only have a year left to drive it. Next will be the unloading of the 3.0's. The clock is ticking. Sadly, my car is going back in 2 weeks. I cant complain, I am being nicely compensated. In years to come I will be searching out my new diesel car through this forum. This forum has been helpful since I purchased the car in 2012. (should have signed in) For now, its the Colorado Duramax Diesel. -(yes, I purchased an extended warranty and have not read it yet :)

wilcharl

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI BOUGHT BACK 23 NOV 16. Now owner of 2016 Jeep Cherokee
I think this can be pretty simple....

The vehicle is not operative. Take it to the dealership and request them to repair it under limited warranty, manufacturers warranty , manufacturer's and/or dealer customer assistance program, repairer's guarantee, warranty, or insurance policy,

(which I think you already did) and have them deny it... At that point, Walkalloveryou bank is on the hook for the repairs...

The dealership should be the one coordinating with the 3rd party warranty (at least thats how its been every time I've worked with warranty companies)

Its in their interest to get the repair approved because its $$ for them

dcarlton

TDI
jetta
Extended Warranty Transfer/Cancel

QUESTION Re Extended Warranty Refund: Just purchased a 2014 Passat with 38000 miles from an individual who purchased it NEW from a VW dealership. Original VW warranty was for 3 years & 36 months. We paid her loan off and are awaiting title in the mail from VW Credit. When she bought the car she paid extra for an extended warranty to 60000 miles and expiring July 2019. We can transfer that warranty to us for $50. If we transfer warranty in our name and then cancel it I believe we are entitled to the prorated refund for the unused portion. Then we return it to VW for the buyback. Anyone have any experience with this particular issue? Looking for guidance and/or thoughts.

Thanks

Last edited:

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
After reading this thread, I don't know how anyone could seriously consider an extended warranty. In this case, the fine print makes the policy nearly useless, and the OP has already gone through enough trouble to be surely valued at whatever the problem would cost to fix. The VW dealer tried to sell us an exclusionary extended warranty (only those things specifically listed as excluded were not covered) but it was expensive, and I'm sure it had the same kinds of fine print relating to emissions and manufacturer's warranties that the policy discussed in this thread. No thank you.

Miss_Athanatos

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen 6-speed manual; 2016 3500 Ram Tradesman 4X4 6.7L Cummins 6-Speed manual

I don't know how by any stretch of the truth a person could say with even a remotely straight face that the turbo is part of the emissions treatment system and therefore not covered under extended warranty. That's just like saying no failure of the engine would be covered under extended warranty because it's part of the emissions treatment system. What stuff!

This just looks like a bald-faced way of avoiding legitimate warranty reimbursement. I think it's time that you forward all of this information to your Attorney General's consumer protection investigation unit for mediation. Let the CP investigators do the work on it for you. They're good at it, it takes virtually no time to initiate a case and it's a part of the service that your state is supposed to provide for your protection as a consumer.

All the best.

-- Nicole

TDIGirly

TDI
Thank you! It would cost more than it was worth to go through those channels, car is gone. Hopefully this will help someone else.

TDIGirly

TDI
and the saga continues...... I cannot seem to get the dealership "new" finance manager to refund the extended warranty to me. I finally visited the dealership, and he stated he was waiting on a return phone call from them (Wachovia/extended warranty company) to complete the transaction. So here I wait. The extended warranty is not being honored, and now not being refunded. Will see. :confused:

Last edited:

Miss_Athanatos

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen 6-speed manual; 2016 3500 Ram Tradesman 4X4 6.7L Cummins 6-Speed manual
and the saga continues...... I cannot seem to get the dealership "new" finance manager to refund the extended warranty to me. I finally visited the dealership, and he stated he was waiting on a return phone call from them (Wachovia/extended warranty company) to complete the transaction. So here I wait. The extended warranty is not being honored, and now not being refunded. Will see. :confused:
Typically, once one fills out the complaint form (no cost associated) with the Attorney General's consumer protection investigation unit, no more work is required on your part. Sometimes they request copies of letters or other correspondence, but not always. The Attorney General's office will investigate fraud or other consumer protection violations at no cost to you, and mediate a solution at no cost to you.

I hope it works out to your benefit. I'm rooting for you.

-- Nicole
Save