Car died. All dash lights on. Car started. help

tvmaster

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
The soon-to-be-returned Jetta sport wagon died today, quickly, at the side of the road after running for five minutes. all the dash lights came on and the car died.
turned the engine off, waited, restarted, all the lights were off and away I went. any idea what this could be?
VW service says if no lights are on currently, they'd have to run a diagnostic for $140 if a problem is found, but free if no problem. The DPF is already failing as of December based on last scan.
Is this related to that, or does this sound like an electrical, starter, power supply problem.
Five weeks to buyback :/

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
Just ride it out....
Dash lights pretty much all come on any time the engine stall, as there's suddenly no longer any oil pressure, the alternator isn't generating power, etc etc. Nothing unusual there. Whatever caused it to stall is the question.
If you CAN try and minimize driving it till your appointment in case it's something like the HPFP. Sudden shutoff is pretty much always either an electrical problem or a fuel delivery problem, neither of which I'd want to be dealing with right before buyback.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
+1
It stalled....
All the lights came on...
I would be cautious...
Maybe top off the tank with fresh fuel...Maybe some additive..Maybe you got a wet batch of fuel.

tvmaster

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
Just ride it out....
Dash lights pretty much all come on any time the engine stall, as there's suddenly no longer any oil pressure, the alternator isn't generating power, etc etc. Nothing unusual there. Whatever caused it to stall is the question.
If you CAN try and minimize driving it till your appointment in case it's something like the HPFP. Sudden shutoff is pretty much always either an electrical problem or a fuel delivery problem, neither of which I'd want to be dealing with right before buyback.

The HPFP was replaced under warranty 4k ago, and we are a long way from 120k still, so that's good. The DPF is a confirmed "needs to be replaced" 3k ago. Other than those two things, there have been no other red flags.

tvmaster

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
+1
It stalled....
All the lights came on...
I would be cautious...
Maybe top off the tank with fresh fuel...Maybe some additive..Maybe you got a wet batch of fuel.
Ok, have about 3/4 tank left since last fill up. My local repair place is going to run the codes on Monday - they're about two miles away. I'm thinking we'll move up the buyback and be a one-car family for a while.

The rules are "drive across the threshold under its own power" I think - not sure if a lit-up dashboard matters or not :/

05GLX4MoWgn

TDI
2017 GSW SEL; 2011 JSW TDI
The soon-to-be-returned Jetta sport wagon died today, quickly, at the side of the road after running for five minutes. all the dash lights came on and the car died.
turned the engine off, waited, restarted, all the lights were off and away I went. any idea what this could be?
VW service says if no lights are on currently, they'd have to run a diagnostic for $140 if a problem is found, but free if no problem. The DPF is already failing as of December based on last scan.
Is this related to that, or does this sound like an electrical, starter, power supply problem.
Five weeks to buyback :/
It sounds like a weak battery. Typical VW symptom.

adolenc

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen
The rules are "drive across the threshold under its own power" I think - not sure if a lit-up dashboard matters or not :/

They bought back my 2010 TDI on Friday with the check engine light on. So it would seem that they're not checking that too much.

tvmaster

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
It sounds like a weak battery. Typical VW symptom.
initially after the stall, it wouldn't make a sound when trying to turn over the ignition. Not even a click or grind. Then, two minutes later, it just started like nothing was wrong.

Last edited:

tvmaster

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
Just ride it out....

After getting a "battery and alternator is good" from AAA, I had the local shop run the codes, and only one came up: Code 01025 EGR insufficient flow.
But at the moment, the car runs fine and no lights are on.
PS - this is the same code which came up at the start of December. Since then, CEL comes on, and goes off. Regens are still working.
Any thoughts about this code? I'm told I can drive with a cracked DPF, but I have no idea about the EGR....

Last edited:

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
Loose ground, the dead / no start with good battery is a "dead" givaway

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
No...
Car would just stop running...
BUT usually zero lights or power....
A loose battery terminal, or more commonly a bad main ground can cause this...Not common unless the car has had major work recently, like an engine removal.

tvmaster

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
No...
Car would just stop running...
BUT usually zero lights or power....
A loose battery terminal, or more commonly a bad main ground can cause this...Not common unless the car has had major work recently, like an engine removal.
ok. I think the cracked DPF may be filling up the system with soot. VW service told me 3k ago it was defective, but the last two scans I had done outside VW only showed an EGR fault. Or doesn't the DPF show up as a scan fault when it's failing?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
The EGR has insufficient flow because the DPF is cracked and sending soot to the EGR filter clogging it.

Codes always don't point to the problem but they point to the symptom of the problem.