RIP: [warning: crushed car pics]

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
Only the 09 JSW had the chrome strip. My 10 is the MKVI front end back to the front pillars. That's why some refer to it as the MKV.5
I know what you are saying about the MK5 chrome front end, but even the MK6 front end JSW has 1/4" chrome stripes on the two grill slats; the upper High Line grill. The MK6 Golf TDI does not have 1/4" chrome strips, it just has Low Line piano black slats grill.
High Line Grille:
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/front-grille-high-line/5k0853651amzll/
Low Line Grille:
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/front-grille-low-line/5k0853651alqwa/

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
I would be very surprised if VW crushes all those cars. There is too much potential money sitting in those lots to just crush them. Plus, if they can fix the cars, they have a chance to redeem their reputation, to some degree.

My last tank fuel economy, with 480 miles driven, was hand calculated to be 43mpg. Diesel is currently $2.89/gallon and 92 octane is $3.50/gallon. I really enjoy driving my Golf TDI and the fuel economy is great...still holding out for a fix.

squeegee_boy

Veteran Member
These are not fake pictures folks.

I have a buddy who is a VW guy and one of his relatives works at a local (michigan) scrap yard.

Late last year apparently VWoA approached the scrap yard interested to check capacity and sign a contract to scrap 13k VWs and one of the rules of the job was no parts removal.
I would be amazed if this isn't the fate of every 2009 - 2014 2.0L TDI. It's pretty sad. What is most pathetic is that they are not allowing yards to remove/sell any parts from the car; it's almost spiteful. Do they see these parts as cutting into to their dealer's parts sales? Is it liability? Regardless, I don't think it complies with recycling of the cars in the most environmentally friendly manner possible, as the consent decree calls for.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Interesting thought.

I thought both 1 and 2 parts of the "FIX" are in order

Hypothetically -- if one had a car that was one half fixed ~~ then there was no complete fix ~~ then what?

Drive it half fixed?

Not get paid the last 1/3 on the money?
The hardware part of the Gen 3 fix is the LAST thing of any of the scheduled submittal dates.

Supposedly, the phase 1 of the Gen 3 fix actually fixes most of the emissions from normal driving, but it doesn't address the on-board-diagnostic requirements, and that's what the phase 2 is supposed to do. The idea was to get the phase 1 fix done ASAP to reduce actual normal-driving emissions, and sort out the OBDII later.

If the part 2 fix never gets approved, buyback comes back on the table, and if the phase 1 fix has been done (and the owner was paid for it), the buyback amount will be reduced by the amount of that initial compensation.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
Yes, Baxter owns a VW dealership among others in the Omaha area. It used to be Performance VW. Great group of guys there. Bought my JSW there and they have done nothing but bend over backwards to help me with any issues over the last 3 1/2 years.
That is far better than a dealer who makes you bend over far forwards. :p

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
worse than cash for clunkers, not by much but indeed worse. Don't forget to watch the Volvo s80 death, chevy 6.5l diesels, acura J engine's on youtube

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
worse than cash for clunkers, not by much but indeed worse. Don't forget to watch the Volvo s80 death, chevy 6.5l diesels, acura J engine's on youtube
Unlike C4C, the crushing is quick and painless. No oil-starved bearings screaming for mercy until everything finally grinds to a halt.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
I hope my '09 was in there. If there ever was a car that deserved to be crushed, it was that POS.
/me high five

Mine too....

Besides the emissions, everything else not related to mileage was broke...

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

donallen

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen 6M
It makes me sick looking at this stuff. We as a nation are all sorts of screwed up.

We have roughly 7 million Semi Trucks, probably 90% of which are pre Emissions era so those 15L engines are spewing all sorts of crap in the atmosphere but oh no, we decide to go after the guys with the 2L engines because they produced slightly higher amounts of NOx... SHAKES HEAD!!! :mad:
And replace a lot of them with gas hogs. Just read this forum and see what people are replacing the 45 mpg TDIs with. This settlement never made sense to me from an environmental standpoint. It's going to increase the CO2 emitted by former TDI owners significantly. As for the NOx issue, I've made the same argument you did, though I didn't make it as well (though you forgot the jet airplanes overhead and the diesel locomotives that move so much of the freight in this country :). They should have thrown the book at VW and left the cars alone, on precisely these grounds -- the cost-benefit proposition they are forcing on us (and WE didn't cause this freaking problem) doesn't make sense.

wilcharl

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI BOUGHT BACK 23 NOV 16. Now owner of 2016 Jeep Cherokee
And replace a lot of them with gas hogs. Just read this forum and see what people are replacing the 45 mpg TDIs with. This settlement never made sense to me from an environmental standpoint.
Turned mine in the very first day available (just before Thanksgiving) I was already driving my replacement, a 2016 Jeep Cherokee that gets half the MPGs

Thx for the gas guzzling pollution machine VW

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
I thank VW for giving me the incentive to try something else.

111R

TDI
2010 Golf - Bought Back by VW
Turned mine in the very first day available (just before Thanksgiving) I was already driving my replacement, a 2016 Jeep Cherokee that gets half the MPGs

Thx for the gas guzzling pollution machine VW
My Chevy SS included a $1,000 gas guzzler tax, but it's not my daily driver. My extremely thirsty 2008 VW Touareg 4.2L now fills the daily driver void that my TDI left.

Thanks VW!

atomicfront

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta wagon tdi
I think that VW did a terrible job negotiating this settlement. There is no reason these cars should not be allowed to be exported to countries with less stringent emission standards.

surfstar

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf & Passat - sold | 2016 GSW TSI
I think that VW did a terrible job negotiating this settlement. There is no reason these cars should not be allowed to be exported to countries with less stringent emission standards.
Actually, a very good reason, is that pollution is pollution. It doesn't matter where it is generated, we all breathe the same air. Winds and weather do not pay attention to "borders" drawn by man.

I do feel that pulling all of these cars off the road, is not a net positive regarding emissions, though. Too many resources that are wasted in producing all the cars that had to be bought to replace them.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Considering what people are replacing them with, yeah, although payoff can be surprisingly short if you get something that's actually better on emissions, even if it has more emissions embodied in its production.

However, there may be a net overall benefit if this acts as a deterrent to other companies doing the same thing.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
At this point, what one would think of as common sense does not play into it. The purpose now is to create a significant deterrent against anyone else attempting to do anything similar in the future.

A postage stamp costs 85 cents. You put 84 cents of postage on the letter. Does the mail go through, or do you get it back "insufficient postage"? Sure costs them more than the missing 1 cent to do that ... but if they didn't do that, then everyone would send mail short of the nominally required postage.

CHawk

TDI
2011 Golf TDI 4D DSG (gone buyback)
At this point, what one would think of as common sense does not play into it. The purpose now is to create a significant deterrent against anyone else attempting to do anything similar in the future.
But that's what financial penalties are for. If the government estimated that VW would have recovered $1 billion by reselling these vehicles in some other country after applying the cheap European fix, the financial penalty could have been $1 billion higher.

As someone who evaluates environmental impacts for a living, I don't see any science that went into EPA's decision prohibiting export of these vehicles. Absent even a limited environmental impact assessment of crushing and replacing 1/2 million high-mpg, low-CO2 emission, safe vehicles, my experience tells me this was an irresponsible and environment-damaging decision on the part of EPA.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
It's also political - if these cars (which exceed everyone's limits) were allowed to be exported to developing countries, the US would be seen as exporting our problems onto developing countries.

CHawk

TDI
2011 Golf TDI 4D DSG (gone buyback)
It's also political - if these cars (which exceed everyone's limits) were allowed to be exported to developing countries, the US would be seen as exporting our problems onto developing countries.
Agreed it was political--sadly, environmental policy is about politics, not science. But imagine the story of a third-world country converting to ULSD because they were able to import 20,000 TDIs for pennies on the dollar.

Yawiney

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW DSG
And replace a lot of them with gas hogs. Just read this forum and see what people are replacing the 45 mpg TDIs with. This settlement never made sense to me from an environmental standpoint. It's going to increase the CO2 emitted by former TDI owners significantly. As for the NOx issue, I've made the same argument you did, though I didn't make it as well (though you forgot the jet airplanes overhead and the diesel locomotives that move so much of the freight in this country :). They should have thrown the book at VW and left the cars alone, on precisely these grounds -- the cost-benefit proposition they are forcing on us (and WE didn't cause this freaking problem) doesn't make sense.
^This!!!
So true. Although i am personally benefitting greatly from it. Buying a "new" TDI to replace mine.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Let's not forget that it was not EPA and CARB that are forcing the decision of VW to crush cars. VW has the option - still on the table! - of coming up with a fix that EPA and CARB will approve. If they do that, they have the option - still on the table! - of fixing and reselling the bought-back cars.

But then the economics comes into it. Let's assume a fix eventually gets approved. There's a cost associated with the fix itself, and an expected cost associated with the warranty that has to be supplied. Then, individually for each car, there will be a cost associated with fixing random broken or tampered stuff that will vary from one to the next. And then there's the matter of what the car will be worth. Plenty of these will be worth more flattened and shredded, but with no liability, than they are to be sold and kept on the road.

It has always boggled my mind that an initial cull wasn't performed on the spot at each buyback appointment. The good ones go to the storage lot; anything 2009-2010 unless exceptional condition plus anything high mileage plus anything with non-trivial interior or body damage or mechanical problems plus anything with the "check engine" light on plus anything with obvious emissions tampering, goes straight to the muncher cruncher.

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
That is pretty close to what has been reported. Over on /r/tdi a couple of people have reported being responsible for the culling at the storage lots. It makes sense to do it there instead of at the dealerships, mostly for logistical and consistency reasons. I have no doubt that even 2015s that come in with mechanical issues or full of used kitty litter will be crushed rather than repaired. It's just business sense for Volkswagen.

itsmejerry

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI Nav, 2015 Passat SE TDI, 2015 Beetle Convertible TDI, 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI All Phase 2 Emission Modified complete. 50 State Legal Diesel!
If they are being crushed, the level of waste is almost criminal.
Considering most TDI cars will last 3-400,000 miles, even if they go through several owners to do so, that means that for every diesel VW, you have to make 2.2 150,000 mile gasoline engine cars.

These 2.2 cars require x amount of new materials, x amount of energy to run, and more than double the "carbon footprint" of a car that has been produced one time. (1 TDI)

I'm starting to hear about people who have sold their cars back who are regretting taking the buyback settlement.

When you factor in the extra amount of fuel that will be consumed, I can't imagine how many more barrels of oil must be imported to cover the TDI to Gas consumption difference.

Anyway... Hang on to them if you can. These wont be around for quite a while.

And because of a lower diesel demand, watch diesel fuel prices drop.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Considering most TDI cars will last 3-400,000 miles, even if they go through several owners to do so
Hold up a second. I highly doubt that most will last that long, especially when we're talking about common rails. Sure, you could keep one running that long, but they'll end up becoming beyond economical repair long before then.

150,000 mile gasoline engine cars.
And, with simpler vehicle systems and far better parts availability (for some non-VW ones, anyway) it's possible that such a car might last longer than 150,000 miles, by virtue of not being beyond economical repair, due to cheaper repairs.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Hold up a second. I highly doubt that most will last that long, especially when we're talking about common rails. Sure, you could keep one running that long, but they'll end up becoming beyond economical repair long before then.
And, with simpler vehicle systems and far better parts availability (for some non-VW ones, anyway) it's possible that such a car might last longer than 150,000 miles, by virtue of not being beyond economical repair, due to cheaper repairs.
Ditto.

Mark_J

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI Passat SEL Premium, 2017 Fiat Spider, 2017 Ford F350 6.7 Diesel crew cab PU, 2016 Harley Trike, 2016 Tesla Model X P90D (I know went to the dark side)
I am 63 years old and I ave been buying VW diesels sense the first Rabbit diesel and all of them, right up to my common rail, and they all have easily gone over 350,000 miles with no major repairs out of pocket. Yes there were some warranty work done, so maybe I am lucky, don't know. Same with my Ford, Chevy & Dodge diesels I have owned. I buy diesel where it is turned over often, add Stanadyne every fill up, and my wife and I fill the tank every weekend, no matter how full it is. It is just as easy to keep the tank full as empty. You don't want any water in the fuel, and if the tank is always low, water will condensate inside the fuel tank and that is the worse for pumps and injectors.