What should be our next adapter?

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
2000 Jeep Cherokee TDI, 2008 Jeep JKU TDI
Sorry guys my adapters are only designed to bolt to the back of the VW TDI. Any future development is going to focus on adding more TDI adapters. This is my part time gig so time is limited until I retire. :)

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
How about a GM 60*v6? Thats what the 4 banger s10's use.
I have the 2.2, 2.8, and V6 pattern from our EV line so it is possible. Not for a while though, need to get the new Jeep and Toyota ones built first.
I have the late model 4.3 GM in stock.

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
03 jsw TDI, audi 90 AHU swap
I have been hesitant about doing a toyota conversion because of the alignment issues. You may find yourself busy when these things are ready. I am very interested.

scoobysmak

TDI
N/A
Since I have two nissan D21 V6 transmissions sitting around would love an adaptor for this, trans model FS5R30A. It's pretty strong and would probably handle any TDI, a variation of this model was used in the Z32 nissan 300zx twin turbo. They use the same bolt pattern but the bellhousing size is a bit larger for the 300ZX due to increased flywheel size. I believe this would be a very good option. The cost for a used 300zx is not terrible but the truck transmission can be hard to locate. The 300zx has an option for mounting the shifter further forward.

The manual transmission for the 4cyl is not so strong. People that turbocharged the factory engine have snapped the input shaft. Put the diesel torque on it and have a feeling the results would be dissapointing. The 240sx used this same transmission as the 4cyl truck. The difference is the length for the shifter location on the car is further back.

Nice to see another 22r option on the market.

Last edited:

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
Well that's disappointing as the 4 cylinder Nissan was next up because I already had the bell and crank patterns in our system.
The V6 would be a lot more work and time as it would all be new patterns.
I don't want to build something that will just end up causing broken transmissions.
Maybe this bumps the Toyota V6 up the list ... after Matt's 4L Ranger. ;>)

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
Am I mistaken, or can the Toyota bell housings be switched between the 4 and 6 cylinder transmissions? I.E. could I use a originally v6 truck with a 22r bell housing on the v6 gearbox and your adapter?

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
Good question, hopefully some Toy expert will be able to answer that one. I have not seen the V6 trans yet.

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
What I am getting at, is that you would not have to make a toyota v6 adapter, if a 22r bell housing bolted to the v6 trans is all you need to make it fit.

As you said, hopefully a toy expert will chime in.

1.9ZOOK

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH Samurai
I believe that the 4 cyl. bell housings only work with the "G" and "W" series,
and the 6 cyl. are only "R" series.
One exception may be a 4 cyl. turbo,this might accept an "R" series,....anyone?
If that's the case,then one adapter would work for both.

Last edited:

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
Are the 4 cylinder transmissions up to performing truck duty with TDI torque pulses applied to them? Or are guys using v6 transmissions for strength?

1.9ZOOK

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH Samurai
I am using a G52 at the moment and have stepped on it quite a few times and
nothing has broken yet.The G52 is a little weaker than the W56
(larger bearings,same input and output spline count)

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
Are the 4 cylinder transmissions up to performing truck duty with TDI torque pulses applied to them? Or are guys using v6 transmissions for strength?
The four-cylinder W series are pretty strong, the W59 in my truck has over 290k miles on it, over 100k of that is with the TDI ... I have a spare transmission just in case but the stock one is still perfect

Last edited:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
Since I have two nissan D21 V6 transmissions sitting around would love an adaptor for this, trans model FS5R30A. It's pretty strong and would probably handle any TDI, a variation of this model was used in the Z32 nissan 300zx twin turbo. They use the same bolt pattern but the bellhousing size is a bit larger for the 300ZX due to increased flywheel size. I believe this would be a very good option. The cost for a used 300zx is not terrible but the truck transmission can be hard to locate. The 300zx has an option for mounting the shifter further forward.

The manual transmission for the 4cyl is not so strong. People that turbocharged the factory engine have snapped the input shaft. Put the diesel torque on it and have a feeling the results would be dissapointing. The 240sx used this same transmission as the 4cyl truck. The difference is the length for the shifter location on the car is further back.

Nice to see another 22r option on the market.
yeah, the four cylinder truck boxes use two woodruff keys on the counter shaft input gear rather than using a spline or using a one piece cluster/counter gear ... there are way too many nissan trucks that are dead because of this flawed design… I would say if you're going to use a Nissan four-cylinder truck as a TDI conversion base then go ahead and get rid of that transmission and use a W series or R series Toyota trans

Last edited:

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
The four-cylinder W series are pretty strong, the W59 in my truck has over 280k miles on it, over 100k of that is with the TDI ... I have a spare transmission just in case but the stock one is still perfect
Ok, good to know. I assume swapping a w series into an original v6 truck is very simple.

I would be mostly commuting with occasional hauling of firewood and pulling my utility trailer. Not abusing it hard, and not planning on being over 130hp.