GSW/Alltrack 1.8T TSI EA888 - Prospective Buyer Discussion Thread

bennybmn

Veteran Member
TDI
(Formerly) '11 Jetta 6 speed, Alltrack 6MT
I wish I had a backup!! Stressing over the timing of everything is the worst part of this whole process...

tbarnhart

TDI
2010 VW Golf TDI
That has made this whole process much easier on me. My mom and sister-in have both already bought replacement vehicles and both have two car payments right now.

Cincy_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat SE TDI
I test drove an SE and an SEL, really liked both of them but ended up back with Toyota. Future high cost of maintenance thoughts were in the back of my mind with VW. Since I bought Certified Used with under 20k I am covered to 100k..

bennybmn

Veteran Member
TDI
I finally received the build and estimated shipping and arrival dates for the SE 6MT that I ordered in late November - production complete 3/03, arrival domestic port 3/23 and released to carrier 3/31. MUCH later than hoped, but there's no urgency, as my JSW TDI is still doing fine and doesn't need any work (fingers crossed).
Hear back from the sales manager at my dealer today. He said they contacted VW and my car hasn't been manufactured yet, and all they got was a "sometime in Q1" response. Sounds about like your timeline. In the interim, I found out a friend of the family is a sales manager at a VW dealer in PA. So I emailed him to see if he knew anything or maybe could give me some bargaining advice. We'll see what comes of it.

DB TDI

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen 6MT
Hear back from the sales manager at my dealer today. He said they contacted VW and my car hasn't been manufactured yet, and all they got was a "sometime in Q1" response. Sounds about like your timeline. In the interim, I found out a friend of the family is a sales manager at a VW dealer in PA. So I emailed him to see if he knew anything or maybe could give me some bargaining advice. We'll see what comes of it.
Although the additional wait doesn't really bother me, it's a bit strange that the ordered cars are being built around 2 months after the start of production on the 6MT Alltracks. I think that the upcoming arrival of the manual Alltracks at dealers (end of January?) will actually work in our favor, as that should allow stocks to build up, and prices to decrease (assuming the same progression as with the pricing of DSG Alltracks here in the DC area) over the two-month period between introduction of the model and the delivery of my order.

bennybmn

Veteran Member
TDI
That's a good point. Along with additional bargaining of "why should I wait while one with a color I like is parked right over there." I would be nice to have AWD while there's still snow on the ground...

DB TDI

TDI
Alltrack manuals have started to arrive at dealerships. Sheehy in NoVa has a white S on the showroom floor (pictures on their website).

Looks like a test drive next weekend!

ottomatic

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golfwagen SE 6MT
Alltrack manuals have started to arrive at dealerships. Sheehy in NoVa has a white S on the showroom floor (pictures on their website).

Looks like a test drive next weekend!
look @ interior pics of car. They show it as a auto. Although web says 6MT

DB TDI

TDI
look @ interior pics of car. They show it as a auto. Although web says 6MT
Whoops. I am shocked - schocked! - that a car dealer would engage in any kind of misrepresentation.
Most likely explanation is that the 6MT is still in transit, but I'll check with the dealer tomorrow.

bennybmn

Veteran Member
TDI
The dealer by me has had a manual listed on their site for months... I emailed them, and a very nice lady called me and said it's an error in their website, something about how details get uploaded automatically and can get mixed up (maybe it picked up the "manual" in manual shifting of the DSG?). Or maybe they're fishing for customers. Who knows.

I did see a friend of the family yesterday who is a sales manager at a dealer in PA. He's going to help me out, at least quote me a good price so I can bargain with the local dealer. Tom Petty was right, the waiting is the hardest part.

bennybmn

Veteran Member
TDI
The waiting should be over soon. Talked to the dealer over the weekend. Should have a gray w/ black interior SE 6MT with driver assist package by "mid to late march". Yesterday I scheduled my buyback for 3/16. Going down there tomorrow to finalize things. With any luck, I'll have to grab a loaner from them for a day or two so the money can hit my account, and I'll be golden. Looking forward to a new chapter!

DB TDI

TDI
Benny,
Why don't you switch your payment option to check and simply sign the VW USA check over to the dealer as part payment for the Alltrack? That's what I'm planning on doing when I sell back my JSW in early April - my dealer's fine with it.

bennybmn

Veteran Member
TDI
Mostly because I don't want to use all of it... I am planning on keeping a couple grand, kid's college fund, couple new windows for the house, that sort of thing. Otherwise it's a great idea. After talking to the dealer the other day, he said they've worked with a lot of dieselgate folks who either got their new car before the buyback appointment, or had the buyback before their new car arrived. So it sounds like I'll have some flexibility.

Norman

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf GLS, '03 Wagon GL
That Sportwagen vs. Alltrack Mashup Review embedded in the above link is pretty good, and states from the VW product mgr that 6MT will be available in the Sportwagen S. 'Was at a local dealer the other day and the Alltrack w/ 6MT is out now and I think it'll be the end of 2017 (for the 2018 MY) for the Sportwagen 6MT to be available.

Seems like you could get a cheaper Alltrack by sticking a lift kit on the Sportwagen, but there's also that hill descent assist that the Alltrack has... Interesting mix of features between the two, for sure..

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
There are many TSI variations. I know the 1.4 is a timing belt, are the rest of them including this one timing chains?

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
When we were turning the golf in yesterday, we both looked at the alltrack. My wife actually said she liked it but is a little soured on VW at the moment. Only thing I really questioned was the off white interior on an awd vehicle.

bennybmn

Veteran Member
TDI
That Sportwagen vs. Alltrack Mashup Review embedded in the above link is pretty good, and states from the VW product mgr that 6MT will be available in the Sportwagen S. 'Was at a local dealer the other day and the Alltrack w/ 6MT is out now and I think it'll be the end of 2017 (for the 2018 MY) for the Sportwagen 6MT to be available.
Seems like you could get a cheaper Alltrack by sticking a lift kit on the Sportwagen, but there's also that hill descent assist that the Alltrack has... Interesting mix of features between the two, for sure..
On the non AWD sportwagen?

Norman

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf GLS, '03 Wagon GL
On the non AWD sportwagen?
Not quite sure what you're asking, but I meant a cheaper Alltrack by sticking a lift kit into a GSW S w/ 4Motion (and whatever tranny you want). The caveat is that the Alltrack has the hill assist/descent whereas the GSW w/ 4Motion does not. At least that's what Megan Garbis seemed to indicate.

bennybmn

Veteran Member
TDI
Not quite sure what you're asking, but I meant a cheaper Alltrack by sticking a lift kit into a GSW S w/ 4Motion (and whatever tranny you want). The caveat is that the Alltrack has the hill assist/descent whereas the GSW w/ 4Motion does not. At least that's what Megan Garbis seemed to indicate.
Sorry, I meant is the 6MT coming for the non awd wagens. Sounds like no...

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
After talking to a local dealer here in BC I don't believe you can get the 6M paired with 4Motion in NA for some strange reason.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
Keep the reviews coming! I'm patiently (not patiently) waiting for them to tell me when my ordered 6MT one will come in... I needed to blow the last of my dealer card last week, so I stopped at a dealer that I pass every day on the way home. Turns out the Alltrack rubber floor mats aren't available yet, so I got some roof rack cross bars.

Regret my lateness (and naivety) here:

BUT WILL MY TDI MONSTER MATS FIT THE ALLTRACK?

Thanks a million,

ez

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
After talking to a local dealer here in BC I don't believe you can get the 6M paired with 4Motion in NA for some strange reason.
According to vw.com, both the s and se all tracks come with a manual standard and dsg as an $1100 option.

KrisA

TDI
2010 Golf SportWagen
VW Canada is dragging their heals on offering the 6MT on the 4Motion Golf's for some reason. Hopefully it will be available soon.

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
VW Canada is dragging their heals on offering the 6MT on the 4Motion Golf's for some reason. Hopefully it will be available soon.
Fingers crossed! Though I think we're leaning towards the Mazda CX-5 Diesel set to appear in August :eek:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'll just be relieved to finally see the Mazda diesel.

airborne

TDI
2001 Silver Jetta TDI
I bought the Sportwagon

My clutch was going in my 2001 Jetta TDI. Spend more money on the TDI or get a new car. Dealer in Brampton treated me very fair. I bought the Comfort line version. Love the steering wheel even though it is not heated. Apple carplay works well. I got the giant sunroof in mine.
I have had it just over a month now. Love it. It warms up so fast compared to the TDI that I don't need the heated steering wheel. The mileage has been quite good. Not TDI good, but I am getting better than forecast. Headlights are far superior to the old TDI. I am wondering about installing LED bulbs though. My only complaint is the size of the fuel tank. Another 10 litres would be a big help.

theguywiththelongestname

TDI
previous TDI owner
I previously owned a 2013 TDI Golf and completed the buyback process in late February 2017. Now I'm in a 2017 GSW Alltrack SE : it's a decent ride. Just like everyone anticipated, the 1.8 TSI of the Alltrack lacks some torque punch and lower MPGs than the TDI Golf. Right now, I'm a happy camper.

Last edited:

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
I previously owned a 2013 TDI Golf and completed the buyback process in late February 2017. Now I'm in a 2017 GSW Alltrack SE : it's a decent ride. Just like everyone anticipated, the 1.8 TSI of the Alltrack lacks some torque punch and lower MPGs than the TDI Golf. Right now, I'm a happy camper.
After 2013 JSW TDI 6M turn-in - I have the (generous) VW offer - prior to the 1 September 2018 deadline..............I'd sure like an Alltrack 6M.

It seems to have it all - except fuel efficiency.

Have you noted any buyer's remorse due to the marked MPG drop?

again, the Alltrack 6M really appeals but......................

best, ez

theguywiththelongestname

TDI
previous TDI owner
EZ:

I have about 700 miles in on the Alltrack, so it's not "broken in" quite yet.

I'm still enjoying the Alltrack for what it offers: good performance, roomy, quality feel, excellent amenities, AWD. I don't have any remorse re: MPGs. The Alltrack is performing as expected. Maybe in the future VW might offer a TDI in the US again, maybe not.