LEDs bulbs for MKIV Jetta

Mykl8

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf TDI 5spd, 2015 Jetta TDI Highline DSG
I was getting a major headache trying to figure out my glow plug light flashing. Even after I did this wonderful mod my glow plug light kept flashing.
I installed incandescent back into the brake lights until the glow plug light went away then reinstalled the LED lights and it's finally working.

So for those who can't get the glow plug light to go away you may need to install your original bulbs first to reset the ecu.

Thanks for the great mod!

PS: I came looking for a glow plug light fix and ended up with that AND the ability to used LED blinkers without resistors! :O Bonus!

For those wondering I bought my LEDs from Amazon in 10 packs running lights https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01KZMYMJW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and brake lights https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01KZMX63A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 They are the same brightness as the stock bulbs but I was only looking for replacements that I won't have to change in a year or so.

j_martell

Veteran Member
TDI
Reflex Silver 2006 Jetta GLS TDI Wagon
Old thread. Sorry. Got some Sylvania 1157 LED bulbs from the boss. He bought them for his Harley, and they didnt clear the reflectors. Put them in the brake/tail position on my BEW wagon, and they work great, no errors, no flashing glow plug lamp, and the cruise still works. Im gonna go pick up a few more pairs and convert the front and rear blinkers....after i pick up a spare flasher relay in the event i mess this one up :)

deAutoLED.com

Vendor
TDI
2002 jetta TDI
deAutokey, deAutokey, deAutokey, vendor here, best led service in the business, lifetime warranty on all led kits, all bulbs will not throw codes and are not cheap imitations, plus they have every led bulb for the German car following, especially VW...
Thank you :)

RoundHouse

Veteran Member
gonna help revive this thread again

I think you can splice in a small marker light into the tail like and another into the brake light circuit to fool the computer into thinking the brake lights are still all there.
thats what I did when I swapped to LEDs in the rear,
along with adding resistors.

also,
Id love to be able to get rid of the resistors in my 01 beetle,
sitting in Atlanta traffic all day every day melts the brake light sockets and scorches part of the tail light housing,

I dont have good enough close up eyesight or steady enough hands, to cut that #7 on the board,

does anyone want to modify a hazard relay and sell it to me??

thanks

Mykl8

Veteran Member
TDI

DudaEnergy

TDI
2003 VW 1.9L
Great thread on hyperflash problem for the MKIV. I think someone should repost this as a "how to" so it's cut and dry to the pictures and what to do. It took a lot of reading through the "is this it?" to get the one picture answer.

Anyone ever solve the problem of the Glow Plug symbol flashing when headlight LEDs are on? This is causing me a huge problem not because of the light indicator, but my cruise control doesn't work while lights are on. I have to turn off lights, set cruise control, then lights back on. Since I killed the daylight running lights function, it's now a dangerous feat to be constantly doing at night every time I run into a pack of cars that I need to blow by. So if anyone has any info on what to do, please do let me know. I already checked with ross-tech and they said VCDS can't fix it. Someone mentioned Kerma TDI can do it with their Q-loader. Well, I have that but Charlie already told me they can't do it. So I don't know if that was a misunderstanding on my part or if Charlie is just blowing me off.

If there's no definitely solution, I can only think of 2 other ways to solve it:
1. Get brighter LEDs to match the wattage of Halogens, and probably burn out the eyes of other drivers (not really a good idea)

2. Install load resistors with a manual relay switch and when I need cruise control, activate the relay/load resistors so the error goes away and I can set it. Then flip it back off. Running load resistors all the time is not an option. That's a waste of energy. 0.134HP at max alternator efficiency to be exact (I'm cutting about 30 watts per bulb right now).

3. Completely rewire lights to bypass whatever thing senses if lights are out. I'm not 100% sure if this could be done, but if we dedicated a new switch to provide power to everything without the car knowing if the lights are actually on, it could solve all issues. I'm not that desperate.

Also: I do get brake light errors when I scan in VCDS but as far as I know, it's not affecting the functionality of my car. It certainly isn't causing the cruise control issue since there's no problem with lights off. Maybe running lights are potentially an issue here.

Brake Power: I noticed while installing my new trailer hitch that my brakes output 4.5v when the key is turned, 6v if key turned + lights on. I have a 2003 VW Jetta Wagon. Is this normal? The 6v triggers my brake controller on the trailer. So if I have lights on, brake lights are permanently on the trailer. This has been fixed temporarily with use of a relay that only activates at 12v, but it puts a slight delay in my brake lights for the trailer and of course offers a failure point and power consumption via the relay. I don't know if my car has a voltage leak somewhere or if these Jetta Wagons are supposed to output some voltage to the brakes when running and lights on? I do know my LEDs are partially powered when the key is turned. I haven't traced wires to see if that's separate or the brake signal partially lighting them. Any info would be great.

deAutoLED.com

Vendor
TDI
2002 jetta TDI
Willing to give it a try. What makes these different to get around the errors? Not with built in resistors, i hope?
They are custom built resistors inside to work with the VW. We hear this all the time and unfortunately there are tons of LEDs that won't work and not many that will if any in certain VW applications.

These are for brake. Not tails.

Thank you

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
HUH?? @DudaEnergy

I ran full LED tail/stop/brake in 2005 Golf MkIV, LED high beam and Bi-xenon headlights. Never had issue with Glow Plug light because of that. ECM puts power down the brake lights to monitor them on MkIV. Usually at such a low mA that they don't come on.

But I did have a stock Golf with two burned out brake lamp bulbs do this. At the same time the Third brake light LED strip would light up partially all the time (key on).

Now as for the trailer - See problem above. Also, are you using a powered tail lamp converter? And install a 10A fuse to right turn signal (Learned that from Uhaul).

Jason

kiwibru

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2-door, 2k Silver. Red RTDI now gone but not forgotten!
No errors but how about wiring and socket logevity?

They are custom built resistors inside to work with the VW. We hear this all the time and unfortunately there are tons of LEDs that won't work and not many that will if any in certain VW applications.

These are for brake. Not tails.

Thank you

So with resistors integrated will these cause any problems with wiring or sockets getting too hot and melting down?

deAutoLED.com

Vendor
TDI
2002 jetta TDI
So with resistors integrated will these cause any problems with wiring or sockets getting too hot and melting down?
Great question - they do not. They operate at the same temperature as a regular glass bulb.

Thank you

Mykl8

Veteran Member
TDI

deAutoLED.com

Vendor
TDI
2002 jetta TDI
Just because it says CAN-BUS doesn't mean it will work. We have seen this many times and receive many emails about this.

TDI-WNC

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI 5-speed
Just for reference, after I installed the LED brake lights the flashing glow plug light came back.

The only way I can see to use a LED bulbs in the brake light location is to use a load resistor or one of these CAN-Bus bulbs. I've never personally tried them myself but I would assume they just have a resistor built into it.
https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...lb-30-smd-led-tower-ba15s-retrofit/4255/9395/

I tried brake lights from superbrightleds and got the glowplug light also. Ended up using them in a different application.
I ordered brake light bulbs from http://deautokey.com/ which they advertise as "error free", and no need for a load resister, they do actually work error free, and at 150 lumen's are pretty bright.

I used the two bulbs from superbright in the rear fog light sockets which are unused in US models, and installed a jumper wire from brake socket to the unused fog lamp sockets, so each side has 2 LED brake lights. Looking in the mirrors I can tell a huge difference on a dark road when I apply the brakes.

deAutoLED.com

Vendor
TDI
2002 jetta TDI
I tried brake lights from superbrightleds and got the glowplug light also. Ended up using them in a different application.
I ordered brake light bulbs from http://deautokey.com/ which they advertise as "error free", and no need for a load resister, they do actually work error free, and at 150 lumen's are pretty bright.
I'll confirm that.
Also recommend interior lights and keyfob shells.
Thanks for the support everyone!

While we do not disclose lumens these are brighter than 150 lumens and it was most likely an accident while writing the listing so we will update this mistake.

We don't disclose lumens because there are many inflated ratings and when we use to list lumens they were true lumens and not as high as other estimated lumens so naturally people thought that our LEDs would not be as bright which was not true. Ours were normally brighter. Also, what matters more is the diode array and how it reflects in the housing. We do a lot of testing to make sure they are bright in that specific housing and it has bright contrast between brake/tails.

Listing for reference:
http://deautokey.com/product/new-os...n-mk4-mk5-jetta-gti-golf-r32-super-bright-red