Oil Drain Plug?

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
2015 NMS Passat SE TDI "Gin" 2006 A5 New Jetta TDI "Graycie" and 2003 A4 Jetta GLS TDI "Liath"
Fumoto valve up?

Volks:

I just read through this thread and was wondering if the Fumoto valve MUST be oriented with the valve at the top? If so, is it because of some leakage issue if it isn't valve up. It seems to me that you would have easier access to the control lever if the valve was mounted horizontally with the lever in the down position.

Also, some of the Fumoto's have a nipple and others don't. I assume the nipple is supplied so you can to hook a short length of hose onto the nipple to direct the flow as desired. Does the oil just flow/dribble out of one end on the nipple-less models?

Dan

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
dan-
I've never used a Fumoto without a nipple, but I think the one without would be messier to deal with.

the valve can be installed in any orientation without leaking, but I like the idea of the lever in the safest location.

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
2015 NMS Passat SE TDI "Gin" 2006 A5 New Jetta TDI "Graycie" and 2003 A4 Jetta GLS TDI "Liath"
Tom:

Thanks for the info. Looks like there may be a fumoto in my future!

Dan

edge130

Veteran Member
TDI
Wife's 2009 Jetta TDI sedan (2009 - 2017)
Drain plug

I bought a bunch of them when EuropaParts had them on sale for $1.00 each a ways back. Unfortunately, the captive washer is another "German engineering" thing. That being said I wouldn't want to reuse the drain bolt and chance a leak, with thoughts of having to remove the belly pan all over again.
I never had to deal with a leak after using a new drain plug.
Try to use a torque wrench if possible.

On my Highlander, Toyota uses an inexpensive fiber washer. I must have done over 20 oil changes on it using the same drain plug, but always using a new washer. I think those were .25 each.

Last edited: