How long after buyback closing is a bank loan paid off?

chief poncho

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
Business day 14 and counting. I hope I don't end up like some of you folks. Interestingly, according to the rep I spoke with via the chat line, I've now been "escalated" since there was no tracking number for the check being sent to my bank yet. She said, give it another 5-7 days.

daesania

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Jetta Sportwagen
Business day 14 and counting. I hope I don't end up like some of you folks. Interestingly, according to the rep I spoke with via the chat line, I've now been "escalated" since there was no tracking number for the check being sent to my bank yet. She said, give it another 5-7 days.
Hate to tell you but that's the standard reply.

daesania

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Jetta Sportwagen
So much for being optimistic. Check never got picked up from VW today. As of 10:37 est, the tracking is still at shipping label created. I highly doubt fedex picks up in Michigan this late.

NeverAgainVW

TDI
None! Although I am still paying for one!
So much for being optimistic. Check never got picked up from VW today. As of 10:37 est, the tracking is still at shipping label created. I highly doubt fedex picks up in Michigan this late.
Did they give you a tracking number for your check?

daesania

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Jetta Sportwagen
Small update: Called VW claims to gripe that check never left yesterday and was given a new tracking number. :rolleyes: The amount of money these people waste on overnight fedex packages is astonishing. But, my hypothetical check is out for delivery to my bank, if its actually in that package of course. One can never know with VW.

daesania

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Jetta Sportwagen
I only had the first tracking number because the supervisor that has been helping me the last week specifically called me yesterday because she was checking my account daily for it, so when she saw it, she called to give me it. Unfortunately it never got picked up, so when I called this morning, they gave me a different/new tracking number which has shown now as delivered to my lender. I'll follow up with them tomorrow about it.

chief poncho

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
Good luck. I hope it actually was sent. As far as the standard answer, yeah, I know, I had the same answer last week. I just hope I don't end up in the 45 day column like yours. The rep did ask how much interest I have accrued due to the delay, so I sent them an estimate.

AmandaSch

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
I thought I had read in that second report of independent claims, that they were starting to do eft's to pay off the loan balances to banks/credit unions.

grawk

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 JSW TDI (used)
non-vw loan. Buyback was friday. Shows paid off this morning. So 3 business days? I'm impressed. Took about a month for my first one. So I'm officially done.

daesania

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Jetta Sportwagen
47 days later, my loan is paid. small email battle to get them to deal with my interest due, but small potatoes compared to the 10.2k that is now safely in my loan account :)

Mitral

TDI
2013 SportWagen TDI
09:30 March 18 - Buyback appointment
22:12 March 20 - email from Chase Payments setting up transfer
06:47 March 21 - email confirming Direct Deposit
06:00 March 22 - woke up to funds deposited into back

Despite numerous requests to get an updated payoff amount, the TDI buyback overpaid my loan by $1,747.06. There is a VW policy of a 17 day hold, plus another week to cut the check, plus postal time. If it's going to take a month to get over payment funds! every attempt to get an updated payoff amount should be demanded!!!

chief poncho

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
Buyback on 3/1
FedEx delivered check to Credit Union on 3/24

Now I just need to wait for my Credit Union to process the check. I guess getting "escalated" helped...mostly.

notAJeep

TDI
MKVI
Dropped it off 10am on Friday 3/24
No email from Chase as of 1pm on Monday 3/27.
**Update 3/28**
Email came in 3/27 around 10:15pm central time
Submitted checking info once i found the checkbook, ~15 minutes (it was in the wife's purse)
Checked the Wells Fargo bank account today and found 10k more than there was yesterday!
**Update #2**
4/7 Loan with Wells Fargo Dlr Svcs is paid off!

I am still dreading Wells Fargo Dlr Svcs screwing this whole payoff thing

Last edited:

chief poncho

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
Once again you are correct Dan. Looks to be around 11:00 EDT. I forget about the rest of the country using Daylight savings time and didn't adjust for MN time. ;-)

NoFuiYo

TDI
None :'(
Car turned in on 3/21
Money deposited on my bank account on 3/23
Loan paid off 3/28 (today)... loan was with local credit union... actually a guy from the credit union called me this morning to tell me that the had received the money from VW and the cancelled the loan and the excess money from the payoff he told me he put it in my savings... That was fast!!

Now off to fully enjoy my '17 Golf Wolfsburg :D:D

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
45 days here. The stupid thing is the loan is through VW. Phone calls start.

Tenebrae

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 VW Jetta TDI Premium with Nav TURNED IN 03/10/2017
Wow! I got a reminder of my payment due from Capital One a few days ago and was all ready to make what I hoped was my last payment for a car I no longer have. Imagine my surprise when I logged in today to make the payment and found my account was closed and loan paid off!

My timeline:
10/27/2016 - Docs submitted
11/08/2016 - "Determining Eligibility"
01/25/2017 - Offer received
01/26/2017 - Offer notarized and uploaded, approved, and appt scheduled.
03/10/2017 - Buyback appt, car turned in.
03/15/2017 - Restitution in da bank!
03/21/2017 - Loan paid off with effective date of 03/15/2017.

DONE!!! Now I just have to yell at my insurance co for still charging me this past month when they said they wouldn't since I don't have a car...
And wait for the $1600 or so overpayment from Capital One. Should be here by April 21st.
Oh. And buy a new car. :D :D :D

-T.