Hood insulator pad - what's it for?

\/\/0J0

Veteran Member
TDI
Sadly, none anymore
I'll LMAO if I meet anyone who tells me they actually removed the hood insulator "to save weight on my car, along with the rear seats, radio and AC."

The one in the Golf is pretty trashed. Besides filling the garbage can well, I wonder if it burns well (since we all burn our trash out here).
I don't think they're designed to burn too well, being close to the engine and all. I used an old one as a welding blanket to allow fresh welds to cool more slowly, handy when welding temperamental materials. It singed but did not ignite.

sent from my mobile look-at device

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
Most years are a mineral wool, similar to fiberglass.
So it is actually fire retardant. It is made to fall off the hood and cover an burning engine when the plastic clips melt, helping to smother a fire. It might not extinguish it, but slows it down.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
if you don't think it makes a difference, toss a few hundred lbs of junk (or people) in your back seat and take your car for a spin
I'd believe it, but I also prefer my creature comforts, especially given how much I drive each year.

Now I get to see if it makes a big difference on a cold start. Wasn't supposed to snow today, but it is. Quite pleasant actually (I made it up to Maine last night).