No throttle response / Intermittant / poor start

Sand Bag

TDI
'06 Silver Jetta TDI manual & '11 Audi Q7 S-Line V6 TDI
Had an issue this past week while driving my car into work. EGR system is removed with the intention of getting a tune to correct the CEL.

However while driving in one morning, experienced no throttle when trying to take off at a green light (car still idling fine no issues). Cycled On/Off and was on my way. This kept occurring several times during my drive. At one point the glow plug light came on and began to flash which has stayed that way since and the MFD let's you know there is an Engine Fault. Along with this while applying the brake I do not have throttle (I rev-match when down shifting). Lastly since this episode the car doesn't start immediately like it used to.

So here are the codes I have thus far. Just want some opinions on where to start / look. My time is valuable and it's cold in the garage!

001025 - EGR System
P0401 - 000 - Insufficient Flow
009573 - Turbocharger Boost Control Position Sensor Circuit
[FONT=&quot] P2565 - 000 - Signal too High - Intermittent
[/FONT] 012295 - Camshaft Position Sensor (G40)
[FONT=&quot] P3007 - 000 - No Signal - Intermittent
[/FONT] 001602 - Sensor Reference Voltage A: Circuit
[FONT=&quot] P0642 - 000 - Low - MIL ON
[/FONT] 008213 - Intake Manifold Flap Position Sensor (Bank 1)
P2015 - 000 - Implausible Signal
005269 - Switch-Over Valve for EGR Cooler (N345)
[FONT=&quot] P1495 - 000 - Open or Short to Ground - Intermittent
[/FONT] 008214 - Intake Manifold Flap Position Sensor (Bank 1)
[FONT=&quot] P2016 - 000 - Short to Ground

Any pointers and insight is appreciated! Thanks![/FONT]

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
Delayed start is probably a byproduct of the inoperative camshaft sensor.
You have quite a group of engine weirdness and it could be a bad ground common to them but it could also be a chafed wiring harness as many of these cars develop in the area under the air box.

Last edited:

Sand Bag

TDI
Yes, my plan is to make sure the ASV is actually cycling. Then checking for wire chafing as that appears to be a common issue. I'll try tearing into it tonight see if I find anything.

Sand Bag

TDI
Well I had chafing on the wire harness. However that hasn't resolved the ASV issue. I'm still receiving 2 codes (shown below). Does anyone know the voltage/resistance I should be seeing out of each of the leads in the harness or on the pins for the ASV? Any help would be appreciated!

2 Faults Found:

008214 - Intake Manifold Flap Position Sensor (Bank 1)
P2016 - 000 - Short to Ground
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01100000
Fault Priority: 0
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 255
Mileage: 357955 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2000.00.00
Time: 00:21:08

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 0 /min
Speed: 0.0 km/h
Load: 0.0 %
Voltage: 12.01 V
Mass Air / Rev.: 0.0 mg/str
Duty Cycle: 95.1 %
Bin. Bits: 00000000

001602 - Sensor Reference Voltage A: Circuit
P0642 - 000 - Low - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 11100000
Time: 00:21:08

Freeze Frame:
Bin. Bits: 00100000
[FONT=&quot] Bin. Bits: 00000000[/FONT]

Sand Bag

TDI
Well, I believe I still have an harness issue and I think I've come to the conclusion that the harness must be replaced. I've checked the voltage at the ASV plug with key on and the voltages do not match the voltage as others have indicated they should be at. Now I'm just looking for the best place to pick up a harness and finding time and warmth to do it.

The following thread has been helpful:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=419835&highlight=ASV+voltage

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
Getting it through an on-line VW dealer is the best price option.
VWparts2go.com is just one of many out there. Include the VIN in the order.

Sand Bag

TDI
Well new harness in, and still no luck on the ASV. The voltage doesn't match what I have seen posted in other threads for readings at the ASV pigtail.

Terminals 1 to 3 should be approx 5v (I'm reading 0.9v)
Terminals 4 to 5 should be approx 4.35v (I'm reading none)
Terminals 2 to 3 should be approx 5.01v (I'm reading none)

I don't know where to go from here...is there a fuse or relay that would be bad? Any info or help is be GREATLY appreciated.

Strider17

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle(sold) MK4 Golf TDI(sold) Mk4 Jetta TDI(parted out) MK4 Golf GTI w/ALH swap (built then parted out) 2015 Passat TDI Highline (current)
I had the same problem!! it was the LIFT PUMP in the fuel tank!!!

pdq import repair

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
If you had a frayed harness it is very likely to have a blown fuse somewhere in the system. A quick look at engine controls alone pops up about 15 different fuses for different controls.

The best way I know to check fuses is to leave them in place and probe both sides of each fuse with a test light, with the key turned on. If there is power on only one side, obviously a blown fuse. If no power on either side it may be a light fuse, or something else not turned on. Consult your manual there and if possible turn the component on to check for power, then move on.

If all fuses are good, backtrack the circuit you are concerned about on your wiring diagram and test for power at each connection along the way till you find the interruption.

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
Hint, before you pull any fuses, take a photo as what is published in Bentley's & the manual may be different than what is in your car.

Sand Bag

TDI
Well I double checked both harness connections at the ECU. I also checked all of the grounds, and leads headed into the fuse box. I didn't find anything wrong in the fuse box. Found a copy of the Bentley Fuse layout for post-July 2006 (my car is a December 2016 build). Everything matched, looked clean, and no issues with burnt fuses. So turn the key on and double check the voltages at the ASV pigtail again and here is what I have....

Not sure where to go from here.

Last edited:

RollingCoal11

TDI
2006 Jetta
Keep us updated on what you find. I am going to start inspecting my harness as well. I have a hard start with a P2112 code. I found some chaffing going to the ASV valve, but it looked to be just through the insulation and not cut any of the wires yet. I ordered a ASV so I will replace that as well, because its been giving me problems as well. It usually takes me a few minutes of cranking before mine turns over.

Sand Bag

TDI
Well different ECU didn't fix it. Thought was possibly the ECU was damaged during the wire harness chafe. There is a short/poor ground somewhere and I'm not finding it. I've put in a different ECU with immobilizer delete and I get the same voltage readings as with the original ECU as the ASV pigtail. I'm at a loss of what to do next.

Here is what VCDS is telling me:

1 Fault Found:
008214 - Intake Manifold Flap Position Sensor (Bank 1)
P2016 - 000 - Short to Ground
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01100000
Time: 00:03:40
Freeze Frame:
Load: 0.0 %
Voltage: 12.24 V
Mass Air / Rev.: 0.0 mg/str
Duty Cycle: 95.1 %

Readiness: 0 0 0 0 1

Sand Bag

TDI
My car has been back on the road now for over a week. Long story short here is my journey:
-Replaced Wire Harness (original one showed signs of significant chafing)
-Purchased used ECU & had immobilizer deleted
After each replacement I still had the same code coming up for ASV or I wasn't getting the proper readings at the ASV Pigtail.

At a loss of what to do I managed to limp my car into a VW Dealer whom I was an acquaintance with a Service Manager. He had is best mechanic take a look at it and he was stumped as well.
Here was what happened:

-Replaced Wire Harness [suspected the harness I had put in was potentially incorrect and giving the wrong readings/voltage] (improved voltage reading, however not the fix)
-Tried alternate ECU from customer [immobilizer deleted] (no difference / fix)
-Tested a new ASV (no difference / fix)
-Replaced ECU with new VW ECU (no difference / fix)
VW Dealer Service Manager & Technician issued bulletin to regional VW Dealer Network for this issue searching for a fix or correction. Response was disconnect the accelerator pedal and test ASV circuit for proper voltage readings. (Accelerator Pedal was the issue!)
-Replaced Accelerator Pedal assembly with new one (Issue Resolved/Fixed)

The VW Service Manager & Technician don't understand why the accelerator pedal would cause an interruption to the ASV circuit but they were going to check further to find any answers. Apparently this happened to one other car in the Mid-West region through a VW dealer. Glad I wasn't the only one stumped and happy to have my TDI wheels back!