Day Trip in the Twisties | Stage 2 MKVI Golf vs Mustang GT, Turbo Miata, and BRZ

DerekG

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 4dr Golf TDI 6-speed manual
Went on a day drive in the Ozark Mountains with some friends to try and apex everything.

Here is the route that doesn't include the drive to AR.

maps by DerekG710, on Flickr

It was great fun and considering there were only 4 vehicles there was a lot of variation.

We were talking about all the differences between them....2-door, 4-door, rwd, fwd, gas, diesel, convertible, hatch, coupe, inline 4, flat 4, V8, Turbo, NA, Ford, VW, Subaru, Mazda. The one commonality was the number of pedals being 3.

So how did the Golf do against the rest?

Pretty well actually....I don't think any of us were driving 10/10ths....probably more like 7/10ths since we were on public roads, but I was pleasantly surprised with how the Golf did when driving with a group of cars that by definition are more sporty than my Golf. That being said, I think if we were really pushing that they would be faster overall.

Performance wise my car is stage 2 with deletes, diesel geek short shifter, and Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+(handled fantastically btw). The Mustang has just bolt ons I believe and NT555's, the Mazdaspeed Miata is turbo from the factory so it is stock in that sense, and the BRZ was also stock.

Predictably the Golf was great in the mid-speed ~25-40mph corners with tons of grip and torque to pull away, basically anything that didn't require shifting into 1st since it's so short. The mustang could leave us in the dust on the straights and long sweepers, but definitely lost some speed/agility in the really tight stuff. The Miata and BRZ were better everywhere else and probably better all around, but that's not really surprising as the twisties are what they are designed for.

The Golf obviously lacks the revs and top end for the real open and fast sections...I found it to be a lot more fun staying under ~50-60mph. We were doing 70 quite a bit in the more open sweeping sections which is past the torque curve in 4th, but not quite fast enough for 5th to really power out of the curves.

Overall we had a ton of fun and can't wait to do it again. I think the most satisfying part for me other than driving was the fact that I didn't have to fill up at all while they all had to stop for fuel 2-3 times lol

Here are a few pics.....MPG stats will follow the pics.

DSC09263 by DerekG710, on Flickr

DSC09265 by DerekG710, on Flickr

Stopping for lunch

20170218_140519 by DerekG710, on Flickr

DSC09276 by DerekG710, on Flickr

DSC09274 by DerekG710, on Flickr

DSC09279 by DerekG710, on Flickr

me being dumb

DSC09284 by DerekG710, on Flickr

DSC09280 by DerekG710, on Flickr

I filled up once I returned home...I was really surprised because this was probably the hardest I have driven on a single tank.

Miles- 634.8
Gallons- 13.902
MPG- 45.7

DSC09289 by DerekG710, on Flickr

Last edited:

DerekG

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks!

This one was a little "light" as the guy we were following didn't stop for pictures very often.

I have a trip to Santa Fe/Taos next month and will be doing lots of sightseeing and museums...should be a fun trip report. We aren't taking the Scamp or roof box so it should be a good trip to get some nice highway mpg numbers over the ~2200 miles.

dhangejr

Veteran Member
TDI
mk4 Jetta
Diselgeek710 I have two questions
1) that golf lifted in that hill?
2) I'm new, why use flicker instead if the forum for pictures?
FinLly, can't wait for some road tripping!

DerekG

Veteran Member
TDI
Diselgeek710 I have two questions
1) that golf lifted in that hill?
2) I'm new, why use flicker instead if the forum for pictures?
FinLly, can't wait for some road tripping!
1) My Golf is totally stock suspension wise. I approached the hill at an angle so one side lifted up a bit more.

2) I use Flickr as a 2nd back-up after putting my pictures on an external drive so it's quicker for me to just use pics that are already uploaded there.

3) Me too! Leaving on Wednesday night or Thursday morning early. We should be able to make it easily to Santa Fe on one tank. (609 miles)

Also the trip will be around ~1400-1600 miles. Not 2200 as I previously stated...still a good run for some mpg data as I rarely do long trips without either the Scamp or roof box.

dhangejr

Veteran Member
TDI
mk4 Jetta
Right on! I do photography if I could ever organize everything in life I'd use an upload service lol

Ordering skid plate ;) Next month I'll go from Tacoma to lava hot springs :;

DerekG

Veteran Member
TDI
Awesome, have fun! I've been toying with the idea of getting a skid plate. I like the aesthetic of the one from ECS, but it doesn't look or mount as solid as the one from Diesel Geek.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
I enjoyed following along in this Thread ... love road trips!

DerekG

Veteran Member
TDI
I enjoyed following along in this Thread ... love road trips!
Thanks! I like doing these trip reports. I went back and re-read my big one from 2014 and realized how nice it is the relive the adventure again.

That's the one where I believe I saw you Andy on your way to the Badlands iirc. Also noticed the Vanagon that was broken down in the background of one of my photos.