Exhaust fumes coming through heater vents

Mickyroo

TDI
Golf mk5 1.9tdi 2004
Hi all my car has had this problem for a few months but I simply have been able to just leave the heater/blower off until it's gotten cold and need demister all the time. It's a 2004 golf 1.9tdi with BKC engine I have had this car since 2012 and problem only started a few months ago. It's definaty coming in thru heater vents and it's worse when in traffic sitting still and local garage says exhaust isn't the culprit.
It's making me ill any advice will be greatly apreciated.
Thanks Micky

nmea2020

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG Silver 2006 JETTA DSG
EGR COOLER VALVE should be inspected...But then again i know nothing about a BKC.
On my BRM the Cooler valve bushing deteriorated and leaked causing a hissing sound when accelerating. i hope this somehow helps

Mickyroo

TDI
Golf mk5 1.9tdi 2004
Hi thanks for your reply I was thinking it was gonna be something to do with the egr thing I ain't had much experience with them I did take the egr thing off to clean it when I first got the car, will have a look tomorrow, should a leak be easy to spot?
Cheers

Mickyroo

TDI
Golf mk5 1.9tdi 2004
I was just reading the long thread on the bushing failing on these I don't have any hissing noises at all on mine but have noticed a tiny bit of oil on my garage floor under the gearbox area of the belly pan but I'm sure the exhaust fumes was coming in the cabin long before the oil stain was on the floor it's not a lot of oil at all just a visible patch on the cement.
Think I will get mechanic to check the whole egr system
Thanks

Mickyroo

TDI
Golf mk5 1.9tdi 2004
Iv noticed that there's gaps either side where the wings are and one of the polystyrene blocks is missing mite try seal the gaps try and stop the fumes reaching the heater intake

Mickyroo

TDI
Golf mk5 1.9tdi 2004
Would putting a blanking plate between the exhaust and the egr cooler pipe but leaving the rest in place be a cheap way to stop it leaking? I really don't want to spend any more on this car at the min lol

Mickyroo

TDI
Golf mk5 1.9tdi 2004
Does it not need the belly pan on like? Got it booked in to garage on thursday morning now see wot the garage says
Thanks Micky

Mickyroo

TDI
Golf mk5 1.9tdi 2004
It was a split egr cooler pipe I just removed both pipes and blanked them off with no issues or warning lights at all