RNS315 to RCD510 with Bluetooth 9w7 Who's done it?

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
So our low voltage killed off the RNS315 (splash screen will show randomly and shut off , reset and repeat). How do we install a RCD510 AF unit when there's no harness/module/box under the seat? I don't think the wife cares for NAV, but we like some of the Bluetooth upgrades of the AF unit instead of going back to the RNS315

I understand how to change the head Unit as I've taken out the RNS315 a couple time. But how do I install the module if I didn't have the 9w3 beforehand ? Is there a dongle sitting under my driver seat waiting for the 9w7 "?

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/bluetooth-9w7-module-voice-control-retrofit-swap-install-and-faq/

Thanks,

Jeremy

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
Well looky looky , the RNS315 didn't come with the Bluetooth internally (no suffix). Checked under my passenger seat and I had the 9w7 under there .

No need to retrofit any new harness or BT module. Woo!

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Congratulations! I remember it sounded like installing the harness was a pain in the neck. One thing, I wonder if it's really a 9W7. My 2010 came with a 9W2 that was seriously deficient compared to the 9W7. Do you have a light overhead that turns green when the phone is connected? If you do, it might be the 9W2.

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
Ruh rohhh . I checked the part number . Matched 9w7 unless they run the same ....

With the RNS315 dead I can't check Bluetooth at the moment. Picture of the module coming soon.

Jedadiah

Veteran Member
TDI
Former: '15 Passat TDI SE 6M, '15 Golf S 6M and '10 JSW
Google image search says 9w7. If your car had a phone screen in the mfd then it's definitely a 9w7. 9w2 can't send that info to the mfd. When I swapped mine, the green light next to the sunglasses holder went off permanently and the phone screen appeared in the mfd.

I'd check the part number on my 9w2, but it's in my crawl space and it's cold outside :)

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Below is the photo comparison from the DIY. He wrote 9W7 on the new unit. The part numbers in his photo match the part numbers I have from a scan of my car before and after the installation. Neither number matches your car, but you have a 2011, the DIY and I have 2010 cars. I searched your number (5K0 035 730) and it looks like it is a 9W7!

From my scans
9W7 - Part No SW: 7P6 035 730 C
9W2 - Part No SW: 1K8 035 730 D

From DIY, 9W7 on left

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
So the 1k0 035 180 af RCD510 software008 is installed. Blue tooth hooked up to my iPhone no problem, but what is necessary for controls and song info to show on the screen?

Touch screen is so much faster than the RNS315. That's nice, controlling Bluetooth audio through the screen would make it worthwhile.
AM seems to be shot, not catching any signals (don't use it). FM might be rougher on the signal, need to take it out of the garage . The Unplugged gps is just dangling behind the radio.

Bluetooth 5k0 035 730 . Does it being the older module seem to be the issue? Will buying a unit made 2013 or later fix this? Or is there something else awry.

This thread states module may be the issue ;( http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=418197&highlight=Bluetooth

Last edited:

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I think you already figured it out. Like in the link you provided, I have an RNS510 with a 9w7 and it just says bt-audio on screen while streaming and no control over tracks. I think most people use an SD card instead for playing music and use the bluetooth just for the calls. I was just happy to get the phonebook on the MFD to make calls. That's why I got the 9W7.

There are also typically multiple other ways to access music on a device, e.g., the midi cable or an audio in port is also available on my car. The midi cable provides the most information for me and it's controllable with the steering wheel. I leave an old iPod min connected to the midid at all times. You can also get a midi-usb to connect a thumb drive, but then the SD card does the same thing.

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
Yeah after I posted I found more threads about the newer bluetooths being needed . Here's a golfmk6.com post from barryt86.

If you want to stream audio and use the steering wheel buttons or radio screen to change songs and display the song info you'll need to upgrade to an RCD-510 version AE or AF and get a 9W7 bluetooth with software above 2660 or something like that. I can't remember the exact software number.
...5K0035730E, 7P6035730K modules.
I'll look for those two different iterations of modules.

jcruse64

TDI
2010 TDI Jetta
Did VW have a BT module that would only allow connecting a phone for phone calls, but not for streaming music off that phone?

My '10 JSW came with the RNS510 radio and BT connectivity; has the phone button on steering wheel. Never had an issue connecting to a phone, but I've NEVER been able to stream music off either an Android or an Apple phone with this radio. After this radio died, and then the factory/dealer replacement radio died, I bought a '12/'13 510 radio off a member here, and still can't get music to stream via BT. I have it set up in the radio config to accept BT-Audio, but when I connect, and then go to Media to select, the BT-Audio icon is dead.

Am I needing a different module, or maybe a firmware update??

Thanks,

Joe

vr6chris

TDI
'10 JSW S 2.5L 6mt
For 2010, there were two BT modules used, 9W2 and 9W3. 9W2 does audio streaming, but no phonebook/voice dialing (IIRC). 9W3 does phonebook/voice dialing, but no audio streaming. I thought 2010 JSWs only had 9W2's (mine did), but I could be wrong.

Are you starting your music app on your phone before trying to stream it? I think the BT Audio selection will remain grayed out until there is actually something playing. Also, the BT module may need to be coded to stream audio.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
For 2010, there were two BT modules used, 9W2 and 9W3. 9W2 does audio streaming, but no phonebook/voice dialing (IIRC). 9W3 does phonebook/voice dialing, but no audio streaming. I thought 2010 JSWs only had 9W2's (mine did), but I could be wrong.

Are you starting your music app on your phone before trying to stream it? I think the BT Audio selection will remain grayed out until there is actually something playing. Also, the BT module may need to be coded to stream audio.
My memory of the 9W2 and the 2010 RNS510 functioning in my 2010 Golf is exactly as stated by vr6chris. I have a 9W7 now so I also have the phonebook, but streaming works the same. It's greyed out until music is playing on the other device and that device has to be paired with the car. I thought the 9W3 came on the Jetta sedan, but that was an MKV not an MKVI.

One other thing, I also have an auxiliary input. The headphone jack on the outside of the arm rest. I think that has to be turned off for BT to work. If you have the auxiliary input, it might be worth checking to see if that's off in your car.

jcruse64

TDI
2010 TDI Jetta
Yes, I made sure to have tunes running before I tried to get the stereo to pick up the BT stream. On another note, the car has both the earphone jack AND the Media plug-in on my mid console. Both worked, from day 1. But when the 1st radio died, and the dealership put a replacement in, the headphone jack input quit working with the radio. Now, with the new-to-me 2012-13 radio in, neither works. Think something needs to be reset??? Thanks for the replies.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
It's worth trying a reset. I've done the 3-finger restart a few times, because every once in a while I get no volume and once many years ago I had a blank screen with sound playing. Each of those times, the 3-finger restart worked.

There is also a factory reset in the menu. "To perform a system reset, press the Setup button, select Systems, then Factory Settings. Then select All and press reset. There will be a confirmation, select Reset once again to continue. Once the system has reset another confirmation will appear, just press ok."

Also, check the settings to be sure things are turned on. I also read a post indicating that with USB plugged in other sources didn't work. So it also seems worth a try with nothing else connected.

factory reset

3-finger restart

jcruse64

TDI
2010 TDI Jetta
I DID forget to uncheck "BT-AUDIO" in Setup. Once done, it DOES connect to the phone and play tunes off the iPhone, including song info on the display. I'm going to leave well enough alone, and play tunes through the MDI connection.

Thanks!