BRM Torsion Value Question

gumbofmr

TDI
Jetta, 1997, blue
Replaced my camshaft yesterday. Read the torsion value before the change at -1.5. I have seen in several places it recommended to set this at +0.5 to +1.0 and to in general play around with it to find what is best for fuel economy. I have also read in the past that having a slightly positive torsion value will tend to give better cold starts. Does anyone know if changing the torsion value changes the injection timing or is this controlled by the crank position sensor?

James & Son

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
I ran my cam shaft on the negative side to reduce the heat entering the the exhaust follower for at least 20,000 miles after my cam change and then I set it to zero

Advancing would improve injection pressure slightly(cam rise rate) at modest rpm but would improve top end and increase exhaust heat at all rpms, at least that is the theory I am working with.

I believe it is best to keep it at zero.

If your car eats cams then run it retarted slightly. If you set it for maximum fuel milage, that would be the ideal. If your looking for general overall drivability and mileage and cam life it should not be advanced.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I try and set them to zero, but if it lands +/- .50 I'll usually leave it.

It is a seat of the pants thing, too, as some people's driving habits and expectations are different. For me, with an engine that only has 100hp and already gets stellar fuel economy, I'd want the best performance.