Wheel Spacers needed? B4 Passat

TribalMinds

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 1996, White
Just installed 16" Borbet wheels with a 40mm offset. The front tires/wheels sit flush to the edge of the car but the rears are set inward. I would like to know what spacers I can use on the rears to "flush" them to the edge of the car. Will I have to realign the rear or front after adding spacers? Thanks in advance. . .

TribalMinds

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 1996, White
Bump, I really need these, the search i did brought me right back to my own post.

Dean_S

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 535d x-drive
I put 16" alloys on a 97Passat and the tires rubbed the lower rear spring seats when corning. Tirerack sent out 5mm spacers no charge but the rubbing was still there to some extent. So I put a sencond support ring under the Bilstien HD's and that took care of that. This problem may be Bilstien specific. ???

And the front tires will rub the fender lips in hard corning with the wheels turned and body roll, braking into a turn to load the fron wheel to increase fron wheel traction is definately out of the question.

The Potenza S03 tires have broad tread and some other tires of the 205/50-16 format might not have these issues. But I don't have any speedo error anymore!

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
I put 16" alloys on a 97Passat and the tires rubbed the lower rear spring seats when corning. Tirerack sent out 5mm spacers no charge but the rubbing was still there to some extent.
I'm really surprised by that. Don't the lower spring seats move WITH wheel travel???

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
The Potenza S03 tires have broad tread and some other tires of the 205/50-16 format might not have these issues. But I don't have any speedo error anymore!
But, unfortunately, you don't have an accurate odometer anymore.