"Dieselgate": Owners' Reactions Survey

Clovemace

TDI
Golf
Hi guys, my name is Clovis Mace, I’m 22 years old and I’m French. I’m a new member of the TDI Club. Currently, I’m doing a master thesis concerning the Volkswagen Diesel Emissions Scandal (Dieselgate).
To prove my hypotheses, I need your help to fill out this survey (link below). It’s anonymous, short (takes less than 2 minutes of your time) and by doing this, you would really help me and I will be very grateful.

Thank you in advance. :)

Link of survey:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfmipuSidjvfFpqPlGWmns5wFjkTorAlCcpuWHkP9kqo1NmKg/viewform?usp=sf_link

Clovemace

TDI
Golf
If so, when?
I wasn't planning on sharing the results, but if enough people want it then sure, i'll post them.
I will be gathering data for the next 2 weeks of so. I could perhaps share the results after that.
Thank you for doing the survey by the way.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Hi guys, my name is Clovis Mace, I’m 22 years old and I’m French. I’m a new member of the TDI Club. Currently, I’m doing a master thesis concerning the Volkswagen Diesel Emissions Scandal (Dieselgate).
To prove my hypotheses, I need your help to fill out this survey (link below). It’s anonymous, short (takes less than 2 minutes of your time) and by doing this, you would really help me and I will be very grateful.

Link of survey:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1...jkTorAlCcpuWHkP9kqo1NmKg/viewform?usp=sf_link
Done, but I find this survey hardly unbiased . . . It makes assumptions in the choices (and pursues an agenda) that may not necessarily be valid . . .

- Tim

Bam15012

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagon
My wife and I both did your survey for our tdi's. I would love to see the final results also!

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
May I please ask what you are trying to prove?

Link of survey:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfmipuSidjvfFpqPlGWmns5wFjkTorAlCcpuWHkP9kqo1NmKg/viewform?usp=sf_link

noun, plural hypotheses [hahy-poth-uh-seez, hi-] (Show IPA)
a proposition, or set of propositions, set forth as an explanation for the occurrence of some specified group of phenomena, either asserted merely as a provisional conjecture to guide investigation (working hypothesis) or accepted as highly probable in the light of established facts.

May I please ask what you are trying to prove?

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Done, but I find this survey hardly unbiased . . . It makes assumptions in the choices (and pursues an agenda) that may not necessarily be valid . . .

- Tim

+1 -

Hardly unbiased. Plus - some of the questions needed more answers, and some of them needed fewer.

Plus you never covered "the fix" as opposed to the buyback - or not nearly as much.

pikawel

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI
Here's some unsolicited commentary! I assume this is being asked on other forums or social networks due to questions (everyone on the Dieselgate sub-forum will be pretty familiar with the scandal and the fix).

Question 4 is predicated on a "yes" for 2 or 3. Perhaps a "didn't know?"
Question 5 might be reworded to "Will you buy a Volkswagen car in the future?" omitting the word "another"

I'm not going to skew your results by taking it a second time so I can't go on to the second page but there's likely stuff to tighten up there as well.

Good luck on your thesis.

Clovemace

TDI
Golf
Here's some unsolicited commentary! I assume this is being asked on other forums or social networks due to questions (everyone on the Dieselgate sub-forum will be pretty familiar with the scandal and the fix).
Question 4 is predicated on a "yes" for 2 or 3. Perhaps a "didn't know?"
Question 5 might be reworded to "Will you buy a Volkswagen car in the future?" omitting the word "another"
I'm not going to skew your results by taking it a second time so I can't go on to the second page but there's likely stuff to tighten up there as well.
Good luck on your thesis.
Thanks for doing the survey and for the feedback! I'll do some changes in the survey.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Done and agree with some of the comments above. It will be interesting to see what conclusions you drwa from this and the overall press on dieselgate. You may also want to share the poll at VWvortex.com

Clovemace

TDI
Golf
+1 -

Hardly unbiased. Plus - some of the questions needed more answers, and some of them needed fewer.

Plus you never covered "the fix" as opposed to the buyback - or not nearly as much.
Thank you for the feedback! I didn't notice it the survey was biased. And you're right about the fix, I didn't really cover the subject. I'll see what I can do. :)

Clovemace

TDI
Golf
Done and agree with some of the comments above. It will be interesting to see what conclusions you drwa from this and the overall press on dieselgate. You may also want to share the poll at VWvortex.com
Thanks for the feedback. :)
Yes, I'm doing a trial run here first but I also plan to share the poll on VWvortex too.

Clovemace

TDI
Golf
50 people have done the survey so far. You guys are awesome, thanks a lot for helping me with my master thesis.
I also find your feedbacks and comments on the survey to be very interesting. To be honest, the results are different than what I originally expected which makes it even more intriguing. :)

Miss_Athanatos

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen 6-speed manual; 2016 3500 Ram Tradesman 4X4 6.7L Cummins 6-Speed manual
Did anyone notice that the survey intro mentioned, "In the real world, their cars reject 20 to 40 times more CO2 than it is allowed"? VW was cleared of any CO2 scandal in late 2015, I thought, and the supposed CO2 scandal included gasoline vehicles.

Dieselgate refers to the use of emissions control defeat software causing up to 40 times (though not every car all the time) the allowed NOx to be emitted into the atmosphere.

Maybe one of Mr. Mace's hypotheses is related to reading comprehension? :D

-- Nicole

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
Did anyone notice that the survey intro mentioned, "In the real world, their cars reject 20 to 40 times more CO2 than it is allowed"? VW was cleared of any CO2 scandal in late 2015, I thought, and the supposed CO2 scandal included gasoline vehicles.[...]
Master thesis, eh? I'd fix that before your professor sees it.
Also, it's not 'reject'.

Last edited:

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
I agree and wrote about the seeming bias. Additionally, a Likert scale is always best for doing survey research.

Miss_Athanatos

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen 6-speed manual; 2016 3500 Ram Tradesman 4X4 6.7L Cummins 6-Speed manual
Also, it's not 'reject'.
:D More likely the thesis has nothing to do with Dieselgate. I can't imagine someone writing a thesis on Dieselgate, actually. My guess is that this thesis is more about the fact that no one is really paying attention to or knows what is going on...and could be easily proving it by getting people to take the survey. :)

-- Nicole

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
:D More likely the thesis has nothing to do with Dieselgate. I can't imagine someone writing a thesis on Dieselgate, actually. My guess is that this thesis is more about the fact that no one is really paying attention to or knows what is going on...and could be easily proving it by getting people to take the survey. :)

-- Nicole
I'm pretty sure no one cares, the only reason VW fans are mad is because they can't get new TDI powered VWs.

Clovemace

TDI
Golf
Did anyone notice that the survey intro mentioned, "In the real world, their cars reject 20 to 40 times more CO2 than it is allowed"? VW was cleared of any CO2 scandal in late 2015, I thought, and the supposed CO2 scandal included gasoline vehicles.

Dieselgate refers to the use of emissions control defeat software causing up to 40 times (though not every car all the time) the allowed NOx to be emitted into the atmosphere.

Maybe one of Mr. Mace's hypotheses is related to reading comprehension? :D

-- Nicole
Oh thanks about that, I just noticed the mistake, I meant NOx and not CO2. I'll correct it right now :)

Clovemace

TDI
Golf
Also, it's not 'reject'.
Hi! Which word do you think I should use here? Is "release" better?
I'm trying to do my best with English but inherently, my mother tongue is French so I apologize for the spelling mistakes. :)

Last edited:

Clovemace

TDI
Golf
I agree and wrote about the seeming bias. Additionally, a Likert scale is always best for doing survey research.
Thank you for your feedback, yes I've noticed this as well. I thought at first that the survey is quite neutral at first but I learned that it's not. I'm going too see what I can do to fix this.

Clovemace

TDI
Golf

-- Nicole
Hi Nicole!
Actually this is the research question of my thesis:

Intentional cheating and recalls: What would be the impact on consumer trust, car sales and the car industry?

I wanted to know if people would lose trust towards a brand after they discovered that the very brand intentionaly cheated in order to gain a competitive advantage.

I picked the VW diesel emissions scandal as my subject because there is a lot of information about it and it affected a lot of people. Also I'm a big car enthousiasts myself. Writing about something that I love in my master thesis seemed to me like a great way to motivate myself to finish the thesis and graduate! :)

Clovemace

TDI
Golf
Update: 70 people have done the survey so far!
This is awesome, my goal is 100 and we've come so close to it in just a few days. I'm very grateful for the time you guys have spent on it. :)

For those who haven't done it yet, please do it, it will only take a few minutes of your time.