"fixed" CPO pricing, no wild speculation ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6MT (BB'd), 2015 Passat TDI SE 6MT
Totally missing on "fixed" dealer inventory, aka "new old stock", pricing, should not be stopping us from engaging in another wild speculation !

Say 50% off MSRP for under 20K miles ? 55% for 30K, 60% for 40K ?

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6-speed manual; 2006 mkV Jetta TDI / 5-speed / Pkg 2
This is where it gets interesting. Obviously a dealer should price a used car at or around market value, agree? Well KBB values are artificially over-inflated at the moment, because some prankster has been buying these cars at top dollar.

But surely VW realizes this and will price them at an appropriate discount, no? Because nobody would ever over pay for a two-plus year old car, right?

Any crazy discounting pulls the rug out from under all "new" car buyers they just accommodated. I think it's in their interest to let these trickle out after the "new" inventory dries up, at high prices with great extended warranty coverage and financing, in an attempt to keep their bubble inflated.

Am I being too cynical?

Locoelectrician

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Golf SEL Sportwagen, 2005 Jetta TDI, John Deere 355D
This is where it gets interesting. Obviously a dealer should price a used car at or around market value, agree? Well KBB values are artificially over-inflated at the moment, because some prankster has been buying these cars at top dollar.

But surely VW realizes this and will price them at an appropriate discount, no? Because nobody would ever over pay for a two-plus year old car, right?

Any crazy discounting pulls the rug out from under all "new" car buyers they just accommodated. I think it's in their interest to let these trickle out after the "new" inventory dries up, at high prices with great extended warranty coverage and financing, in an attempt to keep their bubble inflated.

Am I being too cynical?
Being one of those pranksters, I would say you're spot on.

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6-speed manual; 2006 mkV Jetta TDI / 5-speed / Pkg 2
Oh, let me clarify that, it reads wrong.

VW is the "prankster" to whom I'm referring. It's the buyback that has reset the book value on these vehicles, due to private party and wholesale sales approaching near buyback pricing.

I don't think the "new" sales to consumers over the past few weeks have any effect on the used pricing -- plus it would be too early for KBB to reflect that data.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)

VW is the "prankster" to whom I'm referring. It's the buyback that has reset the book value on these vehicles, due to private party and wholesale sales approaching near buyback pricing.

I don't think the "new" sales to consumers over the past few weeks have any effect on the used pricing -- plus it would be too early for KBB to reflect that data.
Just another reason why I wouldn't even consider one of these 2015s.....

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver

KBB is on the move regarding 2015 Golf TDi DSG. Last month it went up to $24,220

Then dropped two times back to $24,025-ish

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Asking for no speculation on a topic for which the only possible answer will be speculative seems rather ... contradictive.

I've had enough of this. I'm locking this thread due to its pointlessness.

Status
Not open for further replies.