09 and 10 TDI's Keep or Buy Back?

geez

Veteran Member
TDI
Jets-'10, '09, '98-sold
go faster...how fast?

If everyone stayed on the originally-described schedule then it should be known sometime this month whether there is an approved fix for the Gen 1 cars. If someone is on the fence contingent on whether a fix gets approved or not, hang in there!
GoFaster, because we do not know if there is a viable fix yet, and what it will do to the vehicles in any way...it is impossible to speculate if "chipping" my 2010 TDI will get me the 500 ft lbs of torque that is easily gotten. Assuming you've changed your computer on your vehicle, it would seem that this has zero affect on smogging it. However...if a "fail" takes place after VW's "fix" is accomplished on my vehicle, it seems logical that "chipping" it to 500 ft lbs of torque would void their 48K extended warranty...that would make chipping it not worth it. Can you tell I'm thinking while I type?

Curious to know your thoughts though. Thanks!

k^2

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen DSG - Sold back to VW. Replaced with Sportwagen 2.5 GAS
I got rid of mine 2010 JSW with 93000 last monday. Got $16153 for a car that I bought 4 years ago for $17000 and put 70,000 miles on it. No brainer for me.

brocski

TDI
2010 JSW
I feel as though I'm of the minority who purchased a vehicle to keep because of the buyback... twice. My first purchase (2015 Golf SEL) actually goes back to VW in a few days, but I just recently picked up a '10 JSW with a 6 speed for something to hold on to.

Despite the HPFP failures I'm fairly ok with this decision, I think, although I'd love to snag a 2Microntech setup to take some of the worry away. I just really want a manual transmission station wagon that gets great fuel mileage; it simply can't be found elsewhere in the form of something I'd drive so my decision was easy. I'm coming from a 220k mile B5 Passat wagon, V6, 5 speed that I just don't feel like wrenching on anymore to max out at 24mpg on the highway; take away the JSW I just picked up and I'm right back in a similar car (5 series wagon, E class wagon, AllTrack, etc.) that's probably not a stick. Sadly, the MK7 Golf is just too small, a DSG, and netting me +$10k over what I paid... so it has to go back.

I guess I'm thinking my logic applies to the OP but maybe not, maybe I'm just a brand snob after all.

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
I own a 2013 Golf TDI manual transmission with upgraded OEM Driver Gear Springs. I just really enjoy driving the car. It handle so well, gets great fuel economy and functionally can haul a lot of gear for work/recreation. For me, I guess I am emotionally attached to the car. I love the design and aesthetics of the Golf. The ergonomics are perfect. The audio is sounds great.

I can't think of a car that does all that my Golf does. So, I am hoping for a fix and extended warrantee. In the long run, I would upgrade to the CP3 fuel pump at the timing belt interval and keep driving.

cheetah45

TDI
2012 Passat SE 6-manual
Galo:
The basic diesel here in Kalifornia is ULSD. Few stations offer biodiesel here. Since 1982, I have owned and operated 7 diesel powered vehicles for well over 1 million miles and have not had any pump failures. The only issue I had with fuel was when diesel became ULSD. The moment I filled my D50's tank with the new reformulated fuel, the Bosch fuel pump leaked like a sieve after all the years of using the good stuff.
I have never used additives and never found water in the water separator. I am either lucky, very good, or a mixture of both.