100% confirmed 1st of the month is date for mileage adjustment

chief poncho

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
Finally turned in my car yesterday on 3/1. I originally uploaded my documents on 9/26, had green checkmarks mid November and now finally its done...almost. No Chase email yet though. :(

There is a bit of good news in waiting so long. I've had the car parked for the last 2 months because I was way overdue for an oil change and I didn't want it to break before turn-in. I was able to squeak into the next lower adjusted mileage bracket 35,000-40,000 miles by a whopping 16 miles. My adjusted mileage was 39984, or 58740-(1042miles x18months) and my buyback amount was adjusted up by $420.00.

So it is 100% official. The day used for mileage adjustment is the 1st of each month. You get the entire 1042 miles credited towards your adjustment on that day. Take the number of months since September 2015 and multiply that by 1042 and subtract that number from your current mileage for your adjustment. This might help some folks plan their future turn-in dates a bit better. Remember the adjusted mileage is what matters, not your current mileage. VW adjusts the value based on 5,000 mile increments. So it's 0-5000, 5001-10,000, 10,001-15,000 and so forth. The amount of the adjustment depends on the model and age.

Last edited:

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
The amount of the adjustment depends on the model, options and age.
Fixed that for you--options don't have anything to do with the mileage adjustment, though model and year do. Thanks for confirming what a lot of us already thought.

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6-speed manual; 2006 mkV Jetta TDI / 5-speed / Pkg 2
Awesome, Poncho! I was thinking maybe you'd have second thoughts and bump back your appointment a few weeks. I'm glad you followed through. It's almost over!

bushido

TDI
2011 MKVI Jetta TDI
Returned my TDI yesterday too. Canceled my automatic payment with VW Credit scheduled for the 7th of this month. You must cancel the autopayment at least 5 days before the payment is due.. which I did. The car is no longer in my possession and the insurance is cancelled. I should be in the clear, right? What does the loan payoff confirmation look like?

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
What does the loan payoff confirmation look like?
It doesn't. Or in other words, there is nothing generated from the buyback itself that indicates a payoff check has been processed, other than what's contained in the offer letter. My bank doesn't notify me of a payoff, the loan just disappears from my account page. I don't know whether VW Credit is any different.

dmarsingill

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Sportwagen Turned in , 2000 Z3 Coupe, 2003 Ford Expedition
You have every right to cancel your payment.......but I wouldn't have. By the time they process, send the check to the finance, and they process....your payment will be considered late. Of course, it only affects your credit if it is substantially late.

Donald

safcduran

TDI
2015 Jetta SE
Finally turned in my car yesterday on 3/1. I originally uploaded my documents on 9/26, had green checkmarks mid November and now finally its done...almost. No Chase email yet though. :(

There is a bit of good news in waiting so long. I've had the car parked for the last 2 months because I was way overdue for an oil change and I didn't want it to break before turn-in. I was able to squeak into the next lower adjusted mileage bracket 35,000-40,000 miles by a whopping 16 miles. My adjusted mileage was 39984, or 58740-(1042miles x18months) and my buyback amount was adjusted up by $420.00.

So it is 100% official. The day used for mileage adjustment is the 1st of each month. You get the entire 1042 miles credited towards your adjustment on that day. Take the number of months since September 2015 and multiply that by 1042 and subtract that number from your current mileage for your adjustment. This might help some folks plan their future turn-in dates a bit better. Remember the adjusted mileage is what matters, not your current mileage. VW adjusts the value based on 5,000 mile increments. So it's 0-5000, 5001-10,000, 10,001-15,000 and so forth. The amount of the adjustment depends on the model and age.
Thanks for the info. I turned my car in on Wednesday but the settlement agent didn't do anything about my mileage, which I believe by waiting until March 1 dropped me into next bracket. He only gave me a card and said ring VW claims. I rang them this morning and the lady said she didn't deal with adjusted mileage, but would escalate it. Anyone else had to fight for their mileage compensation?

I presume mileage additions or subtractions are not included in the generic Additional Restitution Payment line item, and listed separately?

Mileage at hand in was 28584 - 18x1042 = 9828.

Thanks, Phil.

safcduran

TDI
2015 Jetta SE
Thanks for the info. I turned my car in on Wednesday but the settlement agent didn't do anything about my mileage, which I believe by waiting until March 1 dropped me into next bracket. He only gave me a card and said ring VW claims. I rang them this morning and the lady said she didn't deal with adjusted mileage, but would escalate it. Anyone else had to fight for their mileage compensation?
I presume mileage additions or subtractions are not included in the generic Additional Restitution Payment line item, and listed separately?
Mileage at hand in was 28584 - 18x1042 = 9828.
Thanks, Phil.
Also wondering if I should accept the current amount sent to me by Chase or wait for it to be adjusted?

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
No, mileage adjustments aren't listed separately. They are generally handled automatically--the rep enters your current mileage, and of course they know the date you turn in the car. Your receipt should match (within 27 cents) what one of the online calculators says, unless you bought between 9/18/15 and 6/28/16.

chief poncho

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
If you moved to a lower mileage bracket, the buyback amount should have been adjusted automatically at the appointment. The reps simply enter the VIN and mileage and the amount you are due is updated. Are you sure it wasn't?

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
You have every right to cancel your payment.......but I wouldn't have. By the time they process, send the check to the finance, and they process....your payment will be considered late. Of course, it only affects your credit if it is substantially late.
Owners with loans through VW Credit are reportedly being given the blessing to stop payment without ramification. A number of forum members have been told this verbally by VW Credit, but one member received this in writing from a steering committee attorney:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=5227802&postcount=343

My name is Lisa Petak, and I am an attorney at Keller Rohrback. The managing partner at my firm has been named to the Plaintiff Steering Committee, and we represent owners of TDI Volkswagens. The committee has just assigned more lawyers to assist claimants, and I hope I can help.

First off, I’m sorry that the buy-back process has been so frustrating. You are not alone in your frustration, and I assure you the court is aware of the concerns of the class.

VW is batching all payoffs to VW Credit with multiple claimants, so they will often take longer to be sent -- but will be processed more quickly once they arrive. For those with loans through servicers other than VW Credit, VW has 5 banking days from the buyback date to send payment, and those loan payoffs are 100% paper checks overnighted to banks. Some banks are slower than others to process the payoffs once received, however.

VW Credit is waiving any late fees from the date of the buyback. This raises a question about interest, and that is still being resolved by VW; however, because VW Credit processes loan payoffs much quicker than other banks -- even after the batching delay -- the net payoff time should be about the same as other banks because the processing is quicker.

Moreover, VW Credit customers do not need to make any payments to VW Credit after they complete their buyback appointment and receive their receipt. Due to the monthly batch process, a claimant may receive payment reminders after they complete their closing and can disregard these as long as they have completed their closing and have a receipt. VW Credit will refund directly to claimants any excess in the loan payoff amount paid by VW to VW Credit due to a claimant’s loan payments between final offer letter and Buyback appointment, pending any necessary validation by VW Credit.

If you have any specific questions regarding your payoff, you should contact VW Credit directly. However, if your loan is through another servicer, please let me know and I'll see what we can do.

Best,
Lisa

Lisa Faye Petak
Keller Rohrback, LLP

VW “Clean Diesel” MDL No. 2672 | Plaintiffs Steering Committee
info@vwclasscounsel.com
Granted, the above is no better than third hand, unverified information to anyone reading this here, so by all means anyone pursuing this course of action should inform VW Credit and satisfy themselves this is a viable option. I wouldn't put it past any bank to have an oh, oops moment and unintentionally dinging your credit.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=5227802&postcount=343

miniion26

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Mercedes E320 CDI

So it is 100% official. The day used for mileage adjustment is the 1st of each month. You get the entire 1042 miles credited towards your adjustment on that day. Take the number of months since September 2015 and multiply that by 1042 and subtract that number from your current mileage for your adjustment.
Hmmm, that confirms that I should wait one more month, unfortunately. My mileage is 59022, and by going to 19 months(assuming I will turn the car in April) I get almost $600 more.
Thanks for posting this. My calculations were done including Sept 2015 as a month....

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
Hmmm, that confirms that I should wait one more month, unfortunately. My mileage is 59022, and by going to 19 months(assuming I will turn the car in April) I get almost $600 more.
Thanks for posting this. My calculations were done including Sept 2015 as a month....
That looks correct; mine worked out similarly ($600 increase by waiting until February -- though it's not like I had a choice).

For anyone counting months in their head, yes, September 2015 was the first month, but October marks the "first month after" per how the mileage tables are laid out. So that's why this January was month 16, and as you wrote, April will be month 19.

miniion26

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Mercedes E320 CDI
That looks correct; mine worked out similarly ($600 increase by waiting until February -- though it's not like I had a choice).
For anyone counting months in their head, yes, September 2015 was the first month, but October marks the "first month after" per how the mileage tables are laid out. So that's why this January was month 16, and as you wrote, April will be month 19.
Spot on. What's another month, eh?

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, about $70 per month for insurance and interest, but yeah...