1-844-98CLAIMS issues - claim appd 11/4 website not updated

MellyWelly

TDI
13' PASSAT SEL TDI
Today I called 1-844-98claims. After picking option 2 I got a recording that the hold time would be approximately 16 minutes, which btw is a huge improvement over the 3hrs I waited 2 weeks ago, after 42 actual minutes on hold a claim rep by the name of Bianca answered. I gave her my claim # and asked her what the status of my claim is. After verifying my name and email address she said my claim had been approved by VW and by the 3rd party on November 4, 2016. I told her I've been checking the claim website 20 times a day since October 26th and it still says "We have reviewed all of your documents. Currently, your application contains all the necessary documentation to determine your eligibility. We are now determining your eligibility and will inform you whether you are eligible to participate in the Settlement Claims Program and, if applicable, will provide you with a final offer, within ten business days."

Bianca proceeds to tell me she wasn't supposed to tell me my claim was approved, she thought I knew. She said they weren't supposed to tell people until the actual website was updated. I asked her when website would be updated, she said she didn't know.

Next, I proceeded to ask her about the 10 day requirement. I read her the actual court docs that were approved on 10/25 where it says the following (CRB Document 2104 Filed 10/25/16 Page 33 of 158 on the following website: http://www.cand.uscourts.gov/crb/vwmdl)
"C. Defendant shall administer the claims administration process efficiently, expeditiously, and transparently, including by:
1. Accepting claim applications and documentation submitted by mail, fax, and via the claims website;
2. Processing all claims applications and, within 10 business days, or more quickly if reasonable, either (a) notifying consumers that their claim application is complete because it contains all information necessary to determine eligibility, or (b) notifying consumers of any claim application that is deemed deficient, the reasons for the deficiency, and providing clear instructions on how to cure it. If Defendant notifies a consumer that their claim application is deficient, Defendant shall have 10 business days from resubmission of the claims application to notify such consumer whether his or her application is complete;
3. Notifying consumers whether they are eligible for their elected remedy within 10 business days, or more quickly if reasonable, of receiving a completed application;
4. Immediately upon either notification that a consumer is eligible under Subsection C.3 above or the Effective Date, whichever is later, allowing that Eligible Consumer to schedule a Buyback, Lease Termination, or Approved Emissions Modification at any Volkswagen Dealer (or other entity authorized by Defendant) of the Eligible Consumer’s choosing. Defendant shall provide Eligible Consumers the ability to choose from at least three appointment dates, at different times of the day, on different..............."

Bianca said they had 20 days, 10 days in house to approve and then the 3rd party has 10 days. I asked her to show me in the court settlement docs where it says that. She referred me to https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/
1. click on Exhibit 3 - Long Form (https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/e...nt Agreement/Exhibit 3 - Long Form Notice.pdf)
2. she said on page 8 it says they have 10 days in house and then 10 days 3rd party.

I replied and told her that isn't the doc approved by the courts on October 25th. She said it's a doc given to / sent to all class participants. I again told her about the actual court doc site and that no where in the approved settlement docs does it say they get an extra 10 days.
I then proceeded to tell her that my docs were approved on Oct 26th, and you have 10 business from Oct 26th to send me my offer letter. I told her the 10 business is up at midnight tonight. She continued to stick to her story that they had 20 days.
She said my docs were approved on Nov 4th so they still have 6 more days to send me that offer letter.
I asked to speak to a supervisor. She told me there were no supervisors available. I asked her if there is a supervisor in the building. She said yes. I asked her how she knows they are not available. She replied that she sees them working with other agents. I replied that I would wait on the line. Bianca then proceeded to tell me that I couldn't tie up the line waiting, the supervisor would need to call me back. I told her I waited almost 3 hrs on hold the other week, so waiting for a supervisor shouldn't and wouldn't be an issue. She still refused to get her supervisor. I asked her for her agent/claim rep #, she said they don't have numbers. She said she is the only Bianca. I asked her then what location she was working from, she said Auburn Hills, MI.

I doubt I get a call from a supervisor. At this point I am extremely frustrated. I need this monkey off my back. I owe $20,000 on a car that is worth about half that. I've got 83,000 miles on the original tires with winter coming. I'm not putting new tires on a car I'm getting rid of. Parking the car not an option. I just need this to be over - quickly. I know I'm not alone. I know there are others in worse shape than me.

Airpizz6

Veteran Member
TDI
Now TDI-free, but there now is a 15 MB E250 BT in the driveway
I hope her name really isn't Bianca, because if it is, all this post did was get her fired. Congratulations.
Oh, and my paid off '15 Passat submission went through clean. But it did take 28 calendar days from documents accepted to eligibility verified. And I'm not returning it till Jul 18.

Last edited:

nick1994

TDI
2013 VW Beetle TDI - 52k
Being upset at a customer service rep who probably makes minimum wage isn't going to make it go any faster.

Keep an eye on your weather forecast, if it looks like snow, rent a $25 car.

nattyboh2027

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
This happens with every single freaking claims rep! Its so frustrating. They are beyond clueless to give clear cut factual answers. I'll will be calling multiple times a day when my 10th business day hit if they keep beating around the bush. I'll threaten them that I'll file a complaint to FTC that they aren't compliant within the court documents giving us 10 business days. I'm putting up a good endless fight once their 10 business days is up. If a claims rep can't stand behind what the court docs state, then we have a right to speak to a supervisor. They just play dumb all the time and say supervisor isn't available.

Dr. D

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL
This is the same 20 day story I've been spoon fed days for several days now. My readiness email came through 10/18, court approved 10/25. Their level of rigidity and overconfidence is madening
Does anyone know if there's an automated status notification option when you call? If so, How current is it?

Last edited:

Mike91326

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
Since it's ten business days from 10/25, maybe it's time to call the class attorneys to get clarification on the 10 business day requirement. If VW is not following the ruling I would think the attorneys would want to know.

Airpizz6

Veteran Member
TDI
I have a about twenty $3 off coupons for a case of Kleenexes for you whiners. What a bunch of babies. I bet your fathers always lost to you in whatever game to keep from crying.

newbeetleman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
I hope her name really isn't Bianca, because if it is, all this post did was get her fired. Congratulations.
Oh, and my paid off '15 Passat submission went through clean. But it did take 28 calendar days from documents accepted to eligibility verified. And I'm not returning it till Jul 18.
Why would she get her fired? Do you think VW checks this site?

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
I don't get it OP...you're this worked up and it's literally only been 10 business days since this deal was finalized.:rolleyes:

MellyWelly

TDI
13' PASSAT SEL TDI
Folks, I didn't put this on the forum to have a debate with any of you. I put this on forum to educate people who don't know where to look for the court docs or the right questions to ask. The claim reps have one job- to assist TDI owners with their questions about the claim process. It is their job to be informed about the claim process and the lawsuit. Different reps are saying different things- there is a lot of misinformation out there. I actually called yesterday and only waited 1 minute and was told something totally different than what I was told tonight. Bottom line is my claim has been approved back on Nov 4th, why hasn't the claims portal been updated. I really don't understand what they are waiting for. Everyone have a great night, I'm thinking positive thoughts that they update my claim yet tonight.

Airpizz6

Veteran Member
TDI
Why would she get her fired? Do you think VW checks this site?
If they want to report back to Judge Breyer on overall customer satisfaction, this forum would be a great source of input. And, yes, I do think VW has lurkers here. They identify the chronic complainers and insure that they get the slowest possible service.

atomicfront

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta wagon tdi
I have a about twenty $3 off coupons for a case of Kleenexes for you whiners. What a bunch of babies. I bet your fathers always lost to you in whatever game to keep from crying.
I agree. It has been 10 business days since settlement. 500000 cars are waiting. What did this person do with their dealership gift card? I don't understand lack of patience.

atomicfront

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta wagon tdi
Folks, I didn't put this on the forum to have a debate with any of you. I put this on forum to educate people who don't know where to look for the court docs or the right questions to ask. The claim reps have one job- to assist TDI owners with their questions about the claim process. It is their job to be informed about the claim process and the lawsuit. Different reps are saying different things- there is a lot of misinformation out there. I actually called yesterday and only waited 1 minute and was told something totally different than what I was told tonight. Bottom line is my claim has been approved back on Nov 4th, why hasn't the claims portal been updated. I really don't understand what they are waiting for. Everyone have a great night, I'm thinking positive thoughts that they update my claim yet tonight.
Why do you keep calling? Guess what when your claim is approved and you send in your paper work you will have to wait again. And then you will have to wait for an appt at the dealership. Use your gift card to buy tires. You will get the money. What is a couple of months.

coolbreeze

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG - 2016 Tig SE for the wifey
It is maddening. I submitted on the 19th of Sept, and I have a clear title on one. I watch people who submitted in October get their emailed offers and all 3 of mine sit there still not even verified. You call and ask for help or understanding and I am told one is approved, one is has a questionable scan of the back of the title but it should pass and one has to be redone.

OK, I except that, but why are they sitting there. Why haven't they verified the one, make a decision on the other, and reject the 3rd so I can move on. Nothing. 4 days since then and still all 3 sit tin the same status.
It is unfortunate for Bianca, but I hardly feel like the OP attacked her, and I seriously doubt the girl will be fired because of his post. He had concerns that aren't being addressed and he asked for help. She couldn't provide it. He asked for a supervisor. A natural thing to do. They showed no concern to get him to the next level.

I not sure what I am going to do. The court has told VW clearly how to handle this. They wanted to ensure a fair and speedy process to make sure the claim process was handled properly. VW hired this 3rd party and it is a mess with no logical process to handle these claims. I feel for the lease people. That is BS what they are going through. I am a patient man but I do need to know the process is being followed correctly and I expect communication. That is good business. Many of us are not getting that. VW knew they had 460k claims to work with and needed to put in position a 3rd party that could organize themselves to handle it, and follow court orders.

Freeze Plug

Veteran Member
TDI
Turd Sandwich
Same here, multiple calls, no updates, no supervisor callbacks when they said there would be. Neither of my two cars have moved past the approval stage. Both have titles in hand with no leins, no co-owner, about as simple as it gets. I submitted 9/18

Dr. D

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL
Same here, multiple calls, no updates, no supervisor callbacks when they said there would be. Neither of my two cars have moved past the approval stage. Both have titles in hand with no leins, no co-owner, about as simple as it gets. I submitted 9/18
Same.im concerned about th communication issues/delays that almost always happen when you bring an outside party into system. Who's responsible? Who takes the lead, who picks up the slack here?

MellyWelly

TDI
13' PASSAT SEL TDI
I called the sales rep at at the dealership I bought my car from. He said they don't have a claim rep in house yet and were told the claim rep would be there on Nov. 17th. He said they were told they would share the claim rep with another VW dealership 30 miles away. He had not heard about the 20 day wait, he thought it was 10 days. He suggested I call the 1-844-98claims again to check the status. He asked if I was considering another VW after my by-back was complete. I told him I was considering it at first because I love my Passat, but with the way the claims have been handled, I have completely ruled it out now. He apologized more than once and I honestly believe he is sincere. I feel bad for anyone owning or working at a VW dealership when the scandal hit. I know none of this is their fault. However, I still stand-by my comments about the claim reps working the 1-844 number, they need to get their story straight and give accurate information the first time. Everyone have a great day!

Marlyece

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI DSG
It is maddening. I submitted on the 19th of Sept, and I have a clear title on one. I watch people who submitted in October get their emailed offers and all 3 of mine sit there still not even verified. You call and ask for help or understanding and I am told one is approved, one is has a questionable scan of the back of the title but it should pass and one has to be redone.

OK, I except that, but why are they sitting there. Why haven't they verified the one, make a decision on the other, and reject the 3rd so I can move on. Nothing. 4 days since then and still all 3 sit tin the same status.
It is unfortunate for Bianca, but I hardly feel like the OP attacked her, and I seriously doubt the girl will be fired because of his post. He had concerns that aren't being addressed and he asked for help. She couldn't provide it. He asked for a supervisor. A natural thing to do. They showed no concern to get him to the next level.

I not sure what I am going to do. The court has told VW clearly how to handle this. They wanted to ensure a fair and speedy process to make sure the claim process was handled properly. VW hired this 3rd party and it is a mess with no logical process to handle these claims. I feel for the lease people. That is BS what they are going through. I am a patient man but I do need to know the process is being followed correctly and I expect communication. That is good business. Many of us are not getting that. VW knew they had 460k claims to work with and needed to put in position a 3rd party that could organize themselves to handle it, and follow court orders.
To you and Freeze Plug, I would definitely call the FCC. Phone: 1-888-225-5322. They might be slow to respond but if they get enough complaints they will be called to act. The more who call the better the outcome. VW should be accountable.

Airpizz6

Veteran Member
TDI
To you and Freeze Plug, I would definitely call the FCC. Phone: 1-888-225-5322. They might be slow to respond but if they get enough complaints they will be called to act. The more who call the better the outcome. VW should be accountable.
The FCC? The Federal Communications Commission? I thought they monitored and regulated the development and expansion of the various communications systems, not what was carried over those systems. Do you call the FCC when you receive an unsolicited telemarketing call? Complaints on Dieselgate should go to the FTC. They are the consumer protection folks. They are at 877.FTC.HELP.

Last edited:

Flogger

TDI
Golg
When you call and complain, they move it to the "bottom of the stack"

LogicBomb

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat
I called the sales rep at at the dealership I bought my car from. He said they don't have a claim rep in house yet and were told the claim rep would be there on Nov. 17th. He said they were told they would share the claim rep with another VW dealership 30 miles away. He had not heard about the 20 day wait, he thought it was 10 days. He suggested I call the 1-844-98claims again to check the status. He asked if I was considering another VW after my by-back was complete. I told him I was considering it at first because I love my Passat, but with the way the claims have been handled, I have completely ruled it out now. He apologized more than once and I honestly believe he is sincere. I feel bad for anyone owning or working at a VW dealership when the scandal hit. I know none of this is their fault. However, I still stand-by my comments about the claim reps working the 1-844 number, they need to get their story straight and give accurate information the first time. Everyone have a great day!

I was just at my local VW, Bob Baker, dealer and the salesman said VW has continued to push back the date of arrival for the individual handling the buy backs. He didn't seem confident anyone would be there prior to mid-December. They've received two dates thus far on when the individual was supposed to arrive, 1 of which has passed as of today, and the second will be Nov. 21.

I do understand that this is a huge logistical nightmare, hell I'm in logsitics, but you'd think there'd be a bit more transparency. It's all speculative of course, but it still makes you wonder.

opelgt21

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI - BB
"C. Defendant shall administer the claims administration process efficiently, expeditiously, and transparently, including by:
1. Accepting claim applications and documentation submitted by mail, fax, and via the claims website;
2. Processing all claims applications and, within 10 business days, or more quickly if reasonable, either (a) notifying consumers that their claim application is complete because it contains all information necessary to determine eligibility, or (b) notifying consumers of any claim application that is deemed deficient, the reasons for the deficiency, and providing clear instructions on how to cure it. If Defendant notifies a consumer that their claim application is deficient, Defendant shall have 10 business days from resubmission of the claims application to notify such consumer whether his or her application is complete;
3. Notifying consumers whether they are eligible for their elected remedy within 10 business days, or more quickly if reasonable, of receiving a completed application;
4. Immediately upon either notification that a consumer is eligible under Subsection C.3 above or the Effective Date, whichever is later, allowing that Eligible Consumer to schedule a Buyback, Lease Termination, or Approved Emissions Modification at any Volkswagen Dealer (or other entity authorized by Defendant) of the Eligible Consumer’s choosing. Defendant shall provide Eligible Consumers the ability to choose from at least three appointment dates, at different times of the day, on different..............."
VW has clearly (and likely with there lawyers blessing) interpreted the settlement as 20 days by adding #2 & #3 above together. I was planning to buy another VW initially, but now I am planning to take the money and run!

Dr. D

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL
When you call and complain, they move it to the "bottom of the stack"
Depends, some people can be polite when making inquiries.
Plus I highly doubt that they are in direct contact with the 3rd party regarding petty inquiries

Last edited:

ChimneyJim

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 SportWagen SEL
Apparently I picked the wrong menu options. I just got a rep who had no access to any personal information. He had his talking points and could take my information for a callback within 3 business days. This is so crazy its actually funny. I'll just wait the 4 weeks.