Radio Pinouts - Premium VI Radio (Double-DIN unit)

Michael Moore

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Phaeton W12, 2015 Golf Highline (gas)
For those who may need them, here are the radio pinouts for the new Double-DIN size radio that started shipping in 2002 Golfs and Jettas in the fall of 2001.

I can confirm from my own experience that the mute feature on the radio works - if you supply a ground to the pin called "Mute" (pin 11 on connector II), the radio sound mutes, the CD stops playing, and the word 'MUTE' appears in the display.

Most in car handsfree telephone kits have the ability to supply a ground to the car radio system when a call comes in. Note that if you wire it all up and your radio does not mute, the first thing you should check is to see if you have programmed your cell phone to actually send the mute signal to the radio. I found out through trial and error that my cell phone had a 'handsfree accessory' menu that was only accessible when the phone was plugged into the car connector - and the default setting for muting the radio was 'off', meaning, it didn't send the mute signal to the radio, except momentarily when the phone rang. So read the manual that comes with your handsfree kit.

I have not yet got around to supplying the telephone audio input into the two pins labeled 'Signal for telephone +' and 'Signal for telephone -'. However, for those who want to wire their telephone into the sound system, the connector that you need to purchase to fit into the empty space for multi pin connector III is VW part number 3B7 035 447B. This is a green coloured connector, apparently it is used on some Passat models, it is available in Canada through any dealer, cost is cheap - I can't remember but it was less than $10, I think.

Michael Moore

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Phaeton W12, 2015 Golf Highline (gas)
Just a follow-on post, here is a picture of the sticker on the back of the Premium VI radio, and also of the connector that fits into the back of the radio. The empty hole in the lower left is where the optional connector (part number given above) fits.

ajshoe

TDI
2002 jetta GLS
Just a follow-on post, here is a picture of the sticker on the back of the Premium VI radio, and also of the connector that fits into the back of the radio. The empty hole in the lower left is where the optional connector (part number given above) fits.

must have used invisible ink cause I don't see any pinouts !