www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old June 21st, 2018, 14:07   #1
02_TDI_FireMan

TDI(s): 03 Golf
Fuel Economy: 41-42 80%hwy
Default Best way to prime ALH 10mm injection pump?

As the title states, what is the best way to prime the injection pump? I am putting the head back on now. Last time I had it apart it took me 2 days to phill fuel thru it. Any help is appreciated greatly. I was window shopping trying to find 11mm pumps. I seen a parts kit that said I could make my 10mm pump into a 11 or 12 mm pump changing some internal pump parts. Anyone try this? Any advice on trying it? Thanks again.
Old June 21st, 2018, 16:00   #2
Matdman
Veteran Member

Link to the parts kit? Hopefully not sold by Prothe. Use a Mityvac. Pull fuel through the return line on the pump. Once you've gotten most of the bubbles out, crack an injector line and crank until fuel sprays out of it. Do it to the next 3 injectors. Should fire up right away after that.
Kinetic Motorsports .216m Nozzles, Audi TT Short Shifter, Mufflerectomy, 11mm Injection Pump, EGR Delete w/ASV functionality, Kerma Q Loader, PD150 Intake, Prothane Dogbone Bushings, NSP Boost Gauge, GTI Leather Seats and 3 Spoke Steering Wheel, Raceland Ultimo Coilovers, Audi TT Control Arm Bushings, PD Lift Pump, Atlas Skid Plate, aFe CAI, Kerma OMI, Audi TT 3.2 Wheels, 2.5" Catless Downpipe
Matdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2018, 02:06   #3
jimbote

Fuel Economy: golf=38-43mpg...tacoma tdi=29-33mpg

pick up a small marine bleeder bulb, put it between filter and tank (feed line), loosen return banjo and return fitting, pump bulb until bubble free fuel flows from between QA and fitting, tighten fitting and nut, loosen injector lines @ injectors, crank until fuel squirts, tighten lines, start engine, after engine is running smooth you can shut it down and remove the primer bulb....using a mity vac on the return can* work but the tiniest air leak upstream (pump, lines, thermal T) or an open/defective thermal T will frustrate your efforts, started using the push method above after several failed and or difficult mity vac attempts on different cars... push method has proven to be very fast and very consistent
Old June 22nd, 2018, 07:37   #4
BobnOH
not-a-mechanic

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

Replaced Injection Pump twice on my old A4 TDI.
Used a long clear hose on the pump out, sucked until until I got solid fuel. Cracked all 4 injector lines, rags, cranked it maybe 5 seconds, done.
As much as I love buying tools, and I do, still don't own a mighty-suck. I do have a hand pump with a vacuum gauge, needs that thing.
BobnOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2018, 08:07   #5
KLXD
Veteran Member

I just had my A4 pump out for seals.

I sucked on the line from the filter until it was full. Connected it to the pump and sucked on the line from the pump until I got fuel and connected it to the filter.

Started right up after bleeding the injector pipes.

I won't splain the problem I had after this again.

I too have a vacuum pump that I didn't use.

Current: 02 Jetta, Auto; 98 Jetta, 5 Spd; 98 Dodge, 5 Spd, SB, 4x4; 84 Grand Wagoneer with Nissan SD33T, NV4500, Dana 300, Reverse Cut Dana 44, Dana 60

The Black Sheep (Only gasser): 85 CJ, 4.2 w/4.0 Head and Mopar FI.

Past: 85 Mitsubishi PU, 4D55T; 81 Rabbit, 1.6; 80 Dasher, 1.5; 79 Rabbit, 1.5
KLXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2018, 09:32   #6
UFO
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2001 Beetle
Fuel Economy: 50mpg on B100

I never had good luck using vacuum to pull fuel from the return. When I did, I got nothing flowing. I resorted to using a low pressure fuel pump to pump fuel from the filter into the pump inlet, and it primed the IP very nicely.

UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2018, 09:39   #7
BobnOH
not-a-mechanic

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
I never had good luck using vacuum to pull fuel from the return. When I did, I got nothing flowing. I resorted to using a low pressure fuel pump to pump fuel from the filter into the pump inlet, and it primed the IP very nicely.
Seen a lot of these. Never ciphered out what was causing it. Suspect the pump in a certain position was closed for bidnez. Like I said though, only done it twice.
If the pump was not voided, you may get away with just the injector line bleed.
BobnOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2018, 10:07   #8
KLXD
Veteran Member

I think it's that fitting/valve on the top cover of the pump. Seems that once fuel gets to it flow really slows down.

But at that point the pumps full so that's when I stop.

Current: 02 Jetta, Auto; 98 Jetta, 5 Spd; 98 Dodge, 5 Spd, SB, 4x4; 84 Grand Wagoneer with Nissan SD33T, NV4500, Dana 300, Reverse Cut Dana 44, Dana 60

The Black Sheep (Only gasser): 85 CJ, 4.2 w/4.0 Head and Mopar FI.

Past: 85 Mitsubishi PU, 4D55T; 81 Rabbit, 1.6; 80 Dasher, 1.5; 79 Rabbit, 1.5
KLXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2018, 10:49   #9
Nevada_TDI
Veteran Member

I own both a hand powered vacuum pump like a Mity-Vac and I also own a remote engine oil change vacuum thingy you stick in the dipstick hole. The oil change thingy has a three quart volume so I can create a large volume of vacuum before I open the valve and apply vacuum to the return side of the pump head. Sometimes it takes what seems like forever before the fuel starts moving, but it always works and I don't have to keep making vacuum like I do with the hand pump. Once I have solid fuel I remove it, crank the engine for 10 seconds, crack the #3 injector nut, crank again--at this point the injector is solidly squirting fuel--lock down the injector nut and the engine will usually start running at that point.
2001 Jetta GL TDI, Tinted, Ventectomy, Catectomy, EGR-ectomy, TDTuning, HIFLO .216's, Stealth 17/56 Garrett, VCDS Hex+CAN, South Bend Daily Driver 2 Clutch, DG Short Shifter, Frostheater, Previous Diesel: 1983 Rabbit Diesel

Last edited by Nevada_TDI; June 22nd, 2018 at 10:52.
Nevada_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2018, 10:52   #10
Genesis
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 53/48/42

I have a small inline diesel fuel transfer pump (12V) with wire leads on it. I think I paid $50 for it.

I put it between the tank and INLET of the fuel filter. This way NO UNFILTERED FUEL goes into the pump. Clip on the leads, wait until it stops (when the system is pressurized), crack the line nut on #1 or #3 (pick one; I find #1 works just fine) until you get fuel when cranking, snug it up, it should start.

Then remove the pump. All done, takes more time to put the pump inline than the rest, and it's damn-foolproof. It will also instantly detect air leaks on the suction side (they'll become very evident with fuel leaking out!) as well and thus is very useful.

I'd played with various options for diesels (Mityvac, oil change pump, etc) for a long time and then finally just got tired of screwing around and bought this thing for my toolbox 6-7 years ago. It makes any sort of diesel priming issue a complete non-event that takes less than 10 minutes to resolve.

Last edited by Genesis; June 22nd, 2018 at 10:56.
Genesis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2018, 13:16   #11
sltlytwkd

TDI(s): 03 jetta
Fuel Economy: 39

I just blow compressed air in the fuel fill hole while someone cranks, fires in no time!
Old June 23rd, 2018, 15:21   #12
jmodge
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbote View Post
pick up a small marine bleeder bulb, put it between filter and tank (feed line), loosen return banjo and return fitting, pump bulb until bubble free fuel flows from between QA and fitting, tighten fitting and nut, loosen injector lines @ injectors, crank until fuel squirts, tighten lines, start engine, after engine is running smooth you can shut it down and remove the primer bulb....using a mity vac on the return can* work but the tiniest air leak upstream (pump, lines, thermal T) or an open/defective thermal T will frustrate your efforts, started using the push method above after several failed and or difficult mity vac attempts on different cars... push method has proven to be very fast and very consistent
Generally I pull vacuum through the injector return port, I just put in a pump that had been sitting a year and a half that did not want to prime by suction. Tried this and it worked beautifully, thanks.
Old June 23rd, 2018, 15:44   #13
crawdaddy
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
I have a small inline diesel fuel transfer pump (12V) with wire leads on it. I think I paid $50 for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmodge View Post
I just put in a pump that had been sitting a year and a half that did not want to prime by suction. Tried this and it worked beautifully, thanks.

How much psi is that transfer pump?
I went onto ebay and the transfer pump psi range from low, less than 1 psi to over 10 psi.
crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2018, 17:05   #14
jmodge
Veteran Member

I used Jimbotes idea in post #3, I have a ball hand pump I use to fill the boat from a can
Old June 23rd, 2018, 18:12   #15
dieseldrive

TDI(s): 2001 Jetta

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=438031
dieseldrive is offline   Reply With Quote