www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old August 6th, 2018, 15:24   #1
tuscTDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 41 mixed/30 city
Red face Is it worth it? / What would you do?

My 2001 had the turbo bearing go out and the turbine is contacting the housing, also the AC compressor went out some time ago. Otherwise it is mechanically sound, I even had the 5-speed swap done. The problem is that I just don't have the time to do the work myself, so it's down to having a shop do it for almost 3 grand.

I love the car, but that's a lot of money, big punch in the gut I guess.

What would you do?
Old August 6th, 2018, 16:03   #2
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

New turbo is $650-700. A/C compressor is under $300. Turbo swap should cost $400 or so, the A/C service less than that. So if the car's in good shape and you like it, is it worth $1800-$2K to get it back on the road? I would think so.
Old August 6th, 2018, 17:21   #3
WildChild80
Veteran Member

Please don't take this as me being a douche but find time...I'm blessed to have 2...one is stock and one is pretty well modified...but when one has a problem I can drive the other...just picked a Bosch 120 amp at the salvage yard for 20 bux, and the overrun clutch is perfect. My stock Jetta sat for who knows how many months because the person that was supposed to drive it didn't...

Attack one thing at a time...one of my AC compressors is from a salvage yard and cost me 35 bux and it still makes cold air 2 years later and it's been hawt in VA and SW Arkansas...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
WildChild80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2018, 19:55   #4
ktmkris
Veteran Member

At $3000 you are paying too much. Find you someone who could do a lower cost. Honestly both of those jobs are easy. So any competent mechanic should be able to r&r it.
ktmkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2018, 20:03   #5
OlyTDI
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '04 Golf

Agree -- find better mechanic, fix problems, drive on. Worth it.
Malone Tuned, SBC Stage II Daily, Nicktane Cat 2 fuel filter, Dieselgeek bypass oil filter, Whitedog intake hose fix, A4 Defender skid plate, GLI Recaros, Check Temp III, Ventectomy, LED trunk lighting mod, Volx glass headlight lenses, VR6 front and wagon rear springs. Koni FSDs all around. FrostHeater with bumper mounted plug-in mod (details here).
OlyTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2018, 20:49   #6
WildChild80
Veteran Member

If you weren't so far from me I'd do it on the cheap...way less than 3k for sure...I'm in SW Arkansas now

Old August 6th, 2018, 20:59   #7
ghohouston
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40 Mpg

Even if you dont have the tools, go buy them. A few hours labor, heck, may even take a few days if you dont have mechanical experience. If your a/c system has freon in it, take it to ANY shop, have them vacuum the system down. Replace compressor, and turbo on your own. Afterwards, drive the car back to the same shop, or any shop, have them charge the system if you're not confident. Probably less than $200 labor.
ghohouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2018, 11:30   #8
h.ubk
Veteran Member

Find the time to do it. I replaced my turbo on a weekend without much of any help from the Bentley or online sources. You just unbolt everything on the old one and bolt everything on the same way with the new one.

These cars are going to become increasingly difficult and expensive to be serviced by hired help, so if you plan to keep yours, you should invest in the proper tools and knowledge.

h.ubk
h.ubk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2018, 11:40   #9
WildChild80
Veteran Member

Another thing that I've experienced is knowing what you have, the good and the bad...if you own it long enough there won't be many spots of the car that you haven't put eyes and hands on and you know the condition of the car. Honestly, if I didn't work on my own cars there is no way I'd have a mk4 TDI...unless I was paid like a doctor...

Old August 7th, 2018, 11:57   #10
BobnOH
not-a-mechanic

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

Fix it. Nice to change the 2 oil lines with the turbo. AC compressor, not sure what other bits go with that other than gas fill. Say it's $2200, that's a $185 car payment for one year.
You'll need to look hard for a shop. If you're feeling adventurous and have time, try a local trade school (some high schools also). It'll take them a while, but they'd love it and would do it right.
BobnOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2018, 07:19   #11
~TDIguy~
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Good nuf for me!

I did a turbo swap between two of my mk4s once, really not bad of a job. IF I was closer id do it evenings for you for a fraction of that price... Be that as it may id say definitely get it done one way or another!! Remember they don't make these things any more...... Cheers
~TDIguy~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2018, 13:35   #12
WildChild80
Veteran Member

99 bux for a used 5 speed and it was almost removed when I got there...

Old August 8th, 2018, 19:01   #13
tuscTDI
Veteran Member

Thanks for the encouragement you guys. Have a new turbo coming tomorrow and made the time this weekend. I used to do most of my own work but a new family and 50+ hour a week job has had me discouraged. I've been away from the forums for too long
Old August 9th, 2018, 14:58   #14
wonneber
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscTDI View Post
Thanks for the encouragement you guys. Have a new turbo coming tomorrow and made the time this weekend. I used to do most of my own work but a new family and 50+ hour a week job has had me discouraged. I've been away from the forums for too long
Think about the fuel savings in the long run and the good feeling when the car is running right from your labor.
wonneber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2018, 19:40   #15
tuscTDI
Veteran Member

Default Replaced and Running! Support bracket misalignment problem...

Alright guys, time for an update.
I had a shop do the AC work and ordered a Mahle turbo from Peter's shop, which I installed last weekend. It's amazing the difference it makes. There must have been other issues in the intake/exhaust system, as everything is quieter now.

The one issue I ran into is that the turbo support bracket is a few millimeters misaligned with the hole in the block now. Has anyone run into this?