Cold starting in -30C temps

20ValveT

Veteran Member
I was curious how your A4 TDIs are starting in -30C like temps. I own an A3 and have a block heater to aid my car in commencing, but on A4 diesels there is no place to put a block heater. I know some of you guys have put supplementary coolant heaters on your cars, but my main focus is on the guys who don't have these heaters in your cars. How are you cars starting in these very cold temps. This morning it was -28C, my car was plugged in all night and still she didn't sound like she was happy to start. I though, had I not plugged her in it would have been 10 times worse. She may not have started at all. Any feedback would be appreciated.

car54

theGAME
TDI
2002 Jetta
It got down to about -9C here and my mercedes starts just fine with no block heater.

I have added an oil pan heater for quicker cabin heat, which also lets it crank over slightly faster, but it would be fine without it.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
I have owned diesels for a long time and the key to cold start performance (assuming no wierd issues) are plenty of battery power and effective glow plugs. On my '84 Peugeot 505 STD I needed a battery heater to have enough power to crank that beast fast enough to start. On my numerous 85-92 Jetta 1.6 L diesels, I put a second battery in them, and they would easily start at -30 C or F.

In my 2002 Golf I have installed the www.tdiheater.com coolant heater as I do not like a cold car at the beginning of the day. So on my car I have not started it at temperatures colder than -22 C, and on that day it was about an 11 second glow plug light, started right up, idled at 1100, then 1000 until I drove off. But I know the battery is less than 1 year old and so are the glow plugs....

Manu

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Golf Wagon 6MT Highline TDI
TDI's don't like this weather, but will start.

Mine runs a bit rough for about 10 sec., and smoke everybody around my car. But, then everything is normal. Glow plugs stay lite for about 30 to 45 seconds, and engine may not start at first try.

At - 30 C, even winterized fuel may gel.

boots

Mine has been rough running after starting (10 secs.) But has always started; fuel has gelled a couple of times after about 15-20 minutes of driving, Not enough fuel conditioner DOH! What a pain in the a__ that is. Eventually I will learn.

ChiTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta
It was 4F last night and mine fired right up first time this morning. I use Amoco Premier, Stanadyne, and a technique I picked up here on the forum.
When you turn the key to power the glow plugs, leave the key alone for another ten seconds after the glow plug light goes off. Evidently the plugs continue to preheat the chamber after the light goes out. Works great.

ChiTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta
It was 4F last night and mine fired right up first time this morning. I use Amoco Premier, Stanadyne, and a technique I picked up here on the forum.
When you turn the key to power the glow plugs, leave the key alone for another ten seconds after the glow plug light goes off. Evidently the plugs continue to preheat the chamber after the light goes out. Works great.

PetethePilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 GLS Jetta Bright Green
It's been a good week and a half of cold -25 to -35C temperatures out here in Kenora. All I have is the oil pan heater. My glow plugs have stayed on for up to 15 seconds. My y2k Jetta starts right up on the first crank every time, all be it with some noise and eratic idle characteristics at first.
I serviced the battery just before winter making sure fluid levels were up and charged and battery connections were clean and tight. To aid my engine in warm up, I select full cold on the interior heat control until I see 90C on the engine temp guage. I then select full hot to warm the interior. It has never taken more than 6 minutes to get heat. ( Love those heated seats)
To hold as much residual heat as possible from that little pan heater I pop the hood and place a survival blanket ( $10 Crappy Tire) over the top of the engine on real cold nights before plugging in, I then close the hood tight. This helps by maximizing the reflective energy back into the engine compartment. You can actually feel the difference it makes with your hand on the metal parts in the engine bay. My hydro bill thanks me too.
Cheers Pete