AWD + TDI chassis for custom project

chocolatetoothpaste

TDI
Future - 69 vw transporter
I have a dream... well, a vw transporter at least. I am dreaming about turning it into a sweet road trip machine, being able to take it off road on some mild trails. I'd love to put an AWD chassis with a TDI (I'm thinking ALH, based on my research to this point) motor under it. I have read somewhere in the forum (but maybe misunderstood) that swapping a TDI into a quattro of some kind is pretty easy. Is this true? What would be the best candidates to pillage the AWD system from?
I realize this is a huge undertaking, so I will assess for myself whether it's a project I can handle. I have built 3 rock crawling jeeps, plus 2 chassis off vw beetle restorations, so don't worry 'bout me :). I'm just looking year range/model that will mesh with the TDI the easiest. I would love to use a subaru AWD system, but I don't see much if anything in the way of adapters, so I figured quattro was the best bet. How is the quattro AWD, mechanically? Is it a good AWD system, or garbage?
Thanks for your input!

chocolatetoothpaste

TDI
Bump.

Anyone have some info they can share? Any VW/Audi chassis you can share that is a direct bolt up to a TDI would be great information.

Hasenwerk

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1982 Cabriolet (BEW|VNT17|Stage4), 1989 VW TriStar Syncro soon-to-be CR TDI (CBEA), 2001 Ford Ranger Edge 4x4 (ALH|VNT17|R520|Stage4)
Buy a Syncro and convert that to TDI power.

There have been some people who have taken the Audi quattro gear box and turned it up side down, swapping vent and drain, but nothing for the mild mannered tinkerer.

chocolatetoothpaste

TDI
There have been some people who have taken the Audi quattro gear box and turned it up side down, swapping vent and drain, but nothing for the mild mannered tinkerer.
I don't necessarily plan to leave the engine in the back, I am drawing up some plans to possibly build a subframe that the quattro front/rear suspension would bolt up to, then the bus would be attached to the subframe. The bus has enough metal issues, it's not something I'd be "destroying" by modifying. I'm definitely more concerned with drivability/cost of swap than I am with keeping things original. Would the TDI bolt up to just about any quattro then?

Zeitgeist

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Variant and Vanagon mTDI
Since an Audi A4 Quattro drivetrain pretty much bolts up from rear to front in a T3 Syncro chassis, my calculations show that it should also work from front to rear, albeit with a fairly radically modified front subframe. I'd like to modify a 2WD T3 to accept a Quattro drivetrain, with an ALH up front, up under the dash and between the seats. The rear suspension is a piece of cake, and I believe the Audi front uprights can be modified to accept balljoints that bolt up to the upper control arms on the T3. Front springs should be interesting, but coilovers offset to allow front axles aren't that hard to conceptualize.

Also, an Iltis chassis could be widened and lengthened to fit up under a T3 body. It would give you a rock crawler first gear, plus locking diffs at
both ends

Last edited: