2000 Cherokee/ALH Swap

Trimmy

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG
I was able to spend about an hour yesterday working on the Jeep. I put new Moog Super strength u-joints in the axle shafts out of my 2000 Cherokee and swapped them into my 95 4.10 hp30. I also installed all new brake up front including some 94 chevy 2wd front soft lines.

Last edited:

beachcreature

TDI
23' Penn Yan Boat swap
Very nice build!!! Please DO include details about wiring. I am currently in process of a '99 Cherokee/ALH build and have followed muffinman & evguy (and, obviously, yours) on their builds but little is discussed about the actual step-by-step process of wiring it all up. I am still in the process of removing the harness from the '00 Beetle donor.
Thanks,
Martin

Trimmy

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG
Well today was a HUGE day for me. I got the wiring harness's in the Jeep and wired in enough to make sure I had the wiring right. Thanks to about 5 hours of research and soldering it fired first shot and ran wonderfully for not having anything plumbed up.

I have tried 5 or 6 times to upload the video but I cannot get it to upload on photobucket to add it to this thread.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Don't know if this was mentioned elsewhere in the thread, but all ALH computers have CAN bus.

Looks like you're getting close to the end on this build :cool:

-J

Trimmy

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG
Fired right up! :cool:

Yep, obviously I had to crank it without power to prime the system and I honestly thought I would run into some type of issue but it fired right up after bleeding air out of all four injectors lines.

Trimmy

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG
Don't know if this was mentioned elsewhere in the thread, but all ALH computers have CAN bus.

Looks like you're getting close to the end on this build :cool:

-J

I thought they did but some people told me they were not CAN bus. It doesn't matter because I had ALL the Cherokee gauges working to include the tach during the first few starts. I am running the Jeep sending units in tandem with the VW units. Once I started it I had my wife spin the cam sensor. One complete rotation brought the tach to life. I am thinking about cutting the distributor gear off of a 4.0 cam and machining it to mount on the PS pump and building a bracket to mount the cam sensor to so it will rotate the sensor and start the tach. The tach gets it signal from the crank sensor mounted on the transmission.

ibsam2005

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI 6M
You said this would be a long build, seems like you're moving right along on it. I love Cherokees, wish I had a diesel one especially. Just curious, why the TDI and not like a 4bt?

Also, while reading your posts, I saw you were just west of Richmond. I used to like right by you in Eaton several years ago.

Looks good man. I would think the wiring would be the worst part and you've tackled most of that it seems.

Trimmy

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG
You said this would be a long build, seems like you're moving right along on it. I love Cherokees, wish I had a diesel one especially. Just curious, why the TDI and not like a 4bt?

Also, while reading your posts, I saw you were just west of Richmond. I used to like right by you in Eaton several years ago.

Looks good man. I would think the wiring would be the worst part and you've tackled most of that it seems.

They are a lot lighter, cheaper to buy, plenty of aftermarket support, and I have all the tools for them.

TDI
alh tj project
you should be able to use the orignal 4.0 crank sensor on the bellhouseing. And i've heard people just wired the cam sensor into the crank sensor.

Trimmy

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG
http://dayton.craigslist.org/cto/5096425115.html

Dude....say it ain't so! I want to see it finished!

Doubt I will sell it. Ended up selling my 2010 TDI, now I am working on my 03 TDI, swapping a 6spd manual into it and swapping out the nasty grey interior for a nice black leather interior. I got a little frustrated with the Jeep for a while mainly because its is costing a LOT more than I wanted it to and I was working so much and working on it so much I got tired of it and wanted it gone haha.