2006 Audi A4Q Avant 2.0TFSI -> 2.0TDI (Holset edition)

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
clocked in at 7.5L/100km (31mpg) city on my first tank...haven't had a chance to take her on a long trip yet so we`ll see

the clutch issue boils down to this - I want to continue using my BHW starter and 228mm SMF flywheel...this means I need a clutch/pressure plate combo that will bolt to the Valeo 228mm SMF and take the TQ of the engine...any other option will be over $1k so not desirable...

my second choice is a complete 240mm kit that works with the BHW starter (Whitbread?)

short of that I`d have to start looking into bringing an EU starter to work with the bigger flywheels etc
Whats wrong with the kit Matt Whitbread sells?

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
I used BHW starter with ECS 240mm kits and RS4 clutch assembly like you want. It all bolted right in. Its in my 99 Audi A4 conversion project.

nitec

Vendor
TDI
1.9TDi PD
I`m sure there's nothing wrong with Whitbread's kit - any link to it btw? I haven't seen any info on this at all - weight of the flywheel? clutch options etc?...I just don't want to go buy another brand new setup if I can use the one I have already...all I've seen are the pictures on his thread so it looks like he's using the RS4 pressure plate with RS4 or upgraded 240mm clutch and a SMF similar to the RA4 kit but heavier - can't confirm the weight because there's no info on it but that's my guess...

TDIsyncro - I was going to order the RA4 kit originally - I know it works with the BHW starter...my only consideration was the light weight of the flywheel...do you have any issues with it? noise etc?

Last edited:

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
I`m sure there's nothing wrong with Whitbread's kit - any link to it btw? I haven't seen any info on this at all - weight of the flywheel? clutch options etc?...I just don't want to go buy another brand new setup if I can use the one I have already...all I've seen are the pictures on his thread so it looks like he's using the RS4 pressure plate with RS4 or upgraded 240mm clutch and a SMF similar to the RA4 kit but heavier - can't confirm the weight because there's no info on it but that's my guess...

TDIsyncro - I was going to order the RA4 kit originally - I know it works with the BHW starter...my only consideration was the light weight of the flywheel...do you have any issues with it? noise etc?
it chatters a bit at idle like most lighter weight units.

The Whitbread flywheel looks like a very nice unit, 40lbs is good weight.

Last edited:

Whitbread

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Several

All it takes is 5 seconds of searching, a quick call, or email to get any kind of info you would like. Flywheel is 30lb billet steel and clutch masters is making the clutch kits. Weight of clutch and flywheel is right around 44lbs if I remember correctly. Can hold up to 650lb/ft if needed. Uses stock bhw starter, fits in 01A or 01E bell housing without spacer plate. If any smf setup is used with an 01e, I consider a fluidamper mandatory.

Last edited:

nitec

Vendor
TDI
1.9TDi PD
I took a few pics to compare the Valeo clutches with what else is out there...it looks like the 1.8T (228mm) SMF kit uses the VR6 clutch, which people are suggesting is rated at about 300ftlbs...

that said - any upgraded VR6 clutch should work with the Valeo kit I've got that you can get from ECS for about $350...there's plenty of options out there for clutch only if you're using the Valeo kit (very heavy duty pressure plate btw) or clutch and pressure plate (need to confirm the PP is identical)

If I ever get to ordering a new kit I`ll go with the Valeo 240mm SMF kit and match it up with a european starter for the 240mm FW...you can get both from rockauto for about $600 for the SMF kit and $200 for the starter provided it will fit your transmission...

please take this with a grain of salt - it's not 100% confirmed yet

I`ve ordered the VR6 clutch kit in so I can take a few pics of it as well

Whitbread

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Several
Longitudinal vw/audi transmissions use the same input shaft diameter/spline as 02m's. So any clutch meant for an 02J/A isn't going to work. If it was that easy, it would've been done long ago.

With the euro 240mm valeo kit you'll need the spacer plate also. By the time you buy all the parts and have them shipped to your door you'll have the same money tied up as my setup.

Last edited:

nitec

Vendor
TDI
1.9TDi PD
got the R783s in and had to battle with some air leak issues...injectors are in and the tune is updated to take advantage of them...car runs well at idle with no smoke but I`m not getting the spool I was going after...Mark mentioned there's more fuel to be had but I've already got lots of smoke so who knows...the turbo hits about 17psi before I run out of rpms...it's all up to the tune now so stay tuned...

my latest mod brought a big smile to my face though :)

nitec

Vendor
TDI
1.9TDi PD
this is how I like to see my cluster :)

how's this for winter wheels?

the wheel gap is ideal for a nice snowy winter :)

finally got to changing the engine mounts from the leaked out 2.0T gasser mounts to the nice beefy passat BHW mounts

and picked up some engine insurance

still playing with the fuel system...getting rid of all the left over EVAP crap, switching the 6bar fuel filter for a straight through and repurposing the EVAP return line for the fuel return line

nitec

Vendor
TDI
1.9TDi PD
I think I`m finally happy with the fuel supply setup...deleted the 6 bar fuel filter in the back and hooked up the fuel feed and drain lines straight to the in-tank fuel pump...the Holley FPR keeps the HPFP inlet pressure at the required 5psi...I`ll keep an eye on the fuel temp but with winter coming in I don't think I`ll have any issues...it's very easy to hook up a fuel radiator right after the HPFP and then T into the return line from the FPR if needed...

Last edited:

nitec

Vendor
TDI
1.9TDi PD
4 bar MAP is in and the WG is tightened up...with 5k on the new engine break in is done...

here's a quick video of 1st and 2nd gear pulls...I`ll try to get better footage of the smoke (mostly gone) etc next week...

https://youtu.be/nwbs0xa2zrI

I also did a few pulls with the WG disconnected and hit 30psi with no issues...have to get on a nice long stretch of road to do 4th gear pulls..

Last edited:

Dorkage

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Wagon TDI, 2004 Golf R32
So are you using the stock BEW EDC16 ECU? Are you getting faults on any other components of the car?(on my 3.6 MK4 swap the ECU had a buttload of codes for missing components, so I'm assuming the opposite is true) Any reason why a ALH ECD15 wouldn't work?

As for the cruise control, if you are using a BEW ECU, the MK4 ECUs use discrete wires for the cruise control and the B7 might not. I know for sure the B6 Passat uses mostly CANBUS for the cruise control.

Last edited:

nitec

Vendor
TDI
1.9TDi PD
using the BEW ECU but the plan for the winter is to convert over to the BPW ECU...

the remaining issues are:

- cruise control (yes the B7 is CAN bus hence why I need the BPW ECU)
- Cooling fan controller - I shouldn't be getting an error for it but the fans are ON all the time and I get a code...I checked the wiring a while back and couldn't find any problems - it's possible that the controller has gone bad but it worked fine before I pulled the 2.0T so I`m not betting on it...chance are the BPW will fix this as well
- AC - I think that's tied to the fan controller issue
- Alternator light - alternator charges fine so I`m still not sure what the issue is here...I`m currently using the BEW alternator with a new voltage regulator - will get to it
- MAF code - the tune should have solved that but the code/light is still there...I've got an idea of how to put the MAF back in so we`ll see if that won't solve itself

Currently all ECU boost control is disabled. The Holset WG is preset at like 28-30psi...I can push the turbo up to about 3-3.5PR so I`ll either go with a manual boost controller or hook up the N75 valve...Malone couldn't remove the valve completely so it's still wired in but no vacuum lines...I`m thinking I might actually get him to control the boost with the N75 converted from VNT control to WG control...that way the ECU can control the boost more accurately

I`ll do a few logs to see what the boost looks like and we`ll go from there

now that the hardware is all sorted out I`ll take the next few months to finish the software and get rid of all the lights on the dash...

Dorkage

Veteran Member
TDI
The B6 and MK5 Fan Control Modules use a PWM signal from the ECU to the Fan Controller as sort of a cooling request. It's possible if input is left floating it might go into the error state you are having.

Dorkage

Veteran Member
TDI
Pages 50-51 show how the cruise control works on the B6, I assume B7 will be the same.

http://www.volkspage.net/technik/ssp/ssp/SSP_254.pdf

You can likely take apart the cruise control switch and rewire it directly to the ECU instead of to the steering wheel electronics module. If I ever do a VE TDI Swap into a B6/B7 I'll attempt that. Still need to find out if the MK4 ALH ECU will play nice in a B6.

nitec

Vendor
TDI
1.9TDi PD
started doing some logging...the WG is holding a steady 18psi so I`ll do some digging into getting the N75 to control the boost up to 36psi...for some reason the tune is only requesting 25psi right now...

Last edited:

nitec

Vendor
TDI
1.9TDi PD
few little upgrades

Finishing the tune now with Malone and Demon Diesel...setting the MBC to 32-35psi for now

nitec

Vendor
TDI
1.9TDi PD
haven't logged the mileage yet - car's in the garage for the winter while I do some little tweaks and Malone finishes the tune...when I drove it in the Fall I was getting about half my 2.0T mileage with the same car and same transmission...

speaking of the tune I still can't get any straight info on what's actually possible with the R783 nozzles...they way I understand it these are the biggest I can run on the PD motor...I've got the stock PD100 injectors so that should be the best combination...Pete suggests 250hp is the max from these injectors yet people claim 300+hp...my turbo has plenty of air to support the HP...I hit 30psi without hesitation and hold it there until I run out of RPMs...I haven't dynoed the car yet but it doesn't feel like 250hp and the adjustments Mark does don't seem to add much in terms of performance...

here's the latest pull I did last night...that's 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear pulls at WOT

I might be reading this wrong but I think 38mg/str is quite low is it not? any suggestions? Don't get me wrong - the car feels great but I want to make sure I'm getting the most out of those injectors - they're quite pricey as is...this will help guide my next build as well...

Last edited:

REDNECKDZL

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, 2015 Jetta, 1984 Wabbit TD, 1986 RX7 waiting on AHU swap
are you planning on leaving the boost Manually controlled, or do you want to get to a point where the N75 can control it?

nitec

Vendor
TDI
1.9TDi PD
I thought about it but I think I'm fine with the manual control...actually I'm fine either way - the only issue is it takes forever to make adjustments to the file so I'd rather control the few things I actually can

nitec

Vendor
TDI
1.9TDi PD
let's switch the conversation...got a spare BEW head I want to get work on so I can raise the RPM limit...what do folks do generally do?

- port matched (intake and exhaust)
- bigger valves
- stronger springs
- Colt cam

I was going to send it over to Frank06 for all of that...any specific recommendations for parts etc?