2004 Jetta TDI PD/BEW Ottawa,IL 61350 For Sale? Found out today engine seized

Jfishy44

TDI
2015 Passat TDI, 2004 Jetta GLS TDI
I just wanted to see if anyone might be interested in purchasing and considering my options of disposing of a 2004 Jetta TDI GLS before I listed a great detail of information. Location is Ottawa,IL 61350, about an hour southwest of Chicago on Interstate 80. If interested, please feel free to respond to this thread and I would be more than happy to answer any questions you may have.

Original owner car. 359,572 miles
Car is in good shape, the engine seized last evening

Color: Dk Silver
Interior: Black Leather

Jfishy44

TDI
2015 Passat TDI, 2004 Jetta GLS TDI
Price is negotiable. Feel free to send a private message for additional information. I'd much rather see it go to someone that could use it vs. scrapping!

boisebiker

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Jetta 428k, 1997 Passat 230k
Too bad I moved away from Illinois a year ago. I just picked up an exact replica for $1000. It lost a timing belt. I have torn down and figure for $500 (and some time) I can have it all fixed up and back on the road. Do you have any clue why the engine seized up? Just saying anything can be fixed if you like the car.

craws01

TDI
Audi A3
Not yet, but I am pretty curious myself. I pushed the car into the barn after it was delivered and realized that I didn't have all the tools with me to pull the motor. I plan to bring all the tools on my next trip out to the farm this week. I did turn the key after charging the battery and there is no indication that the starter is even trying to engage. Everything on the dash lights up, but no noise whatsoever when turning the ignition. My guess is that is a result of attempts to start the car after the engine failure. But I could be way off there. I think it would be way too optimistic to presume that the problem is simply electrical/starter related. The PO Jfishy44 paid to have it checked by VW and they confirmed that the engine is bad, but didn't provide any details. The car appears to have been well kept, so it will be very interesting to see what failed. I would think at that mileage, the cam/lifters would be pretty well worn and I didn't get any indication that they were ever replaced or even checked for that matter. I am hoping that the damage is limited to the top-end, but that is probably wishful thinking. Bottom end should have had plenty of life left in it as long as it was maintained.
I already have a spare BEW laying around for a project that I was planning to start. I will likely swap the motors and rebuild the one I pull out of the car for my project as long as the block is still good.