82 Vanagon Spitting Oil

mcarter

TDI
82 Vanagon, 98 Jetta
I have an 82 vanagon with a 1Z mounted at 50 degrees. I have put 50 thousand miles on the conversion without a single drip of oil. The other day ironically after I washed the rig there developed some serious oil leaks from the fill tube and from the separate dipstick that is not used from an original vertical installation. It seems like oil is getting pushed out the filler cap and the entire outside of the tube that slides out the filler gets coated in oil and sputtering out the dipstick.
On a separate note I have the MAF disconnected because it needs replacing so it is using a more conservative mapping for injection.
The only thread I read of similar nature mentioned a broken oil ring that scarred the cylinder but I'm hoping this is not what I'm dealing with.
Any thoughts and ideas for diagnosing are greatly appreciated,
thanks,
Mike

twentyeight

Veteran Member
TDI
1Z & ALH
It does sound an awful lot like blow-by, but not necessarily because an oil ring broke. Are you running a CCV puck? Perhaps it's clogged?

Can you do a compression test?

mcarter

TDI
82 Vanagon, 98 Jetta
I checked the puck the other day and it was clear and the hoses from the case and to the intake were also clear. Did a compression test today when my new tester finally showed up. 400,400,390,400.

So I'm still not sure why my engine is spitting oil ???

mcarter

TDI
82 Vanagon, 98 Jetta
Turns out a wasp nest had broken loose and lodged itself in my air intake. Problem solved no more spitting oil

UFO

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle
Sounds like it must have formed a pretty good vacuum in the intake, I'm not sure how that results in the oil spills.