Audi 90 quattro TDI: gearing questions

CFM

Veteran Member
TDI
1995 Saturn with a 1997 TDI drivetrain.
Very nice, and extremely clean! What are you running for a clutch and flywheel setup?

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
03 jsw TDI, audi 90 AHU swap
The flywheel is from an audi 80 2.0 front wheel drive. (had a 4 cylinder vw engine). The clutch is for the same car, it is a spec stage 2+. 228mm friction disk. I've also got a few other bits from the audi 80 that help. I Have a new nissens radiator for the 80, coolant hoses etc.

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
a little more progress. Been working on this regularly, but progress is slow. I think I'm getting more anal every time I build a new car, and its taking me way longer to perform simple tasks like charge piping, and engine bay layout. I'm finding it hard to make a TDI look like it belongs in this car.
got some used tool boxes and build a new steel welding/fab table.

I needed to get the factory air temp sensor into the piping, post intercooler. The factory bung is plastic, so i replicated it out of steel. Got some DOM tubing that was just about 1" I.D. and replicated the factory plastic bung out of steel using a grinder to match pipe profile and a cutoff wheel to cut the clip groves. Works well, not too pretty, but its hidden in the car anyway.

Charge piping in progress

Last edited:

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI

Then I drilled a hole that is the right size for the sensor portion to fit into the airstream, but small enough to retain the sensor on the outside of the pipe.

the final product

Charge piping complete minus a couple 1/8 npt bungs i need to add to the charge piping for boost gauge, ecu and n75 connections.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
That's some nice charge air piping fab work. Good show.

What is the black coating you are using?

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
thanks! the coating is duplicolor bedliner. I like how it looks, we shall see how it holds up.

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
thanks guys! the charge piping has taken me a long time! Way longer than it should, but i think it came out well.

now its starting to look like a real engine bay again!

Intercooler and radiator crossmember is complete. You can't really tell, but there is some framework that the radiator sits on and the intercooler mounts to. It ties the whole front end together (kind of like the b5 cars) so you can take the entire assembly off the car in one piece. Should make servicing pretty easy.

there is so little room in there for a fan, i had no choice but to direct mount a slim fan. I lined the back of it with foam and made some backing plates to spread the load out to the edges of the radiator. It is very solid now, and I think will be no problem unless I crash into something.

you can see my reinforced motor mount here

added some boost fittings for boost gauge, ecu and n75

MFTS adapter made. A bit ugly, but looks good installed.

all the coolant piping and charge piping is finally fitted!

I was able to use 95% oem stuff.
-top hose is OEM 2.0 audi 80 with the oil cooler connection cut out and replaced with my coolant sensor bung.
-bottom hose is the stock audi 90 20v top hose cut to fit
-the rest of the stuff is a mix of the OEM tdi stuff and b5 a4 hoses.

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
Slight update. Nothing very exiting. The engine bay is 95% complete, and looking great. I don't think I have any current pictures of that yet.
I have switched over to doing body work so I can get that done before the cold and nasty weather hits.
I haven't posted much since body work is tedious and not to exiting. Basically, I discovered the car was hit at some point early in its life and the right rear frame rail and at least part of the quarter panel were replaced.
It was very hard to tell what was done since they matched the factory seam sealing and undercoating really well. I started working away at a couple small rust spots and uncovered a labyrinth of rust and rot in the trunk area. Thankfully the car is in very good shape from the back seat forward.
I have been systematically cutting out rust and welding in new metal from junkyard cars and sheets of 18 gauge metal.
I'm about half done with the bodywork, then I will rebuild both subframes and swap in the 01e 6-speed.
Still planning on driving it this winter. I will likely miss the first snow, but I should get some quattro fun in before spring.
Here is a few pictures showing what i found when I tore into it. I'll post some more when I get it done. The dogleg at the rear right door is totally done aside from paint, and came out very well. I was able to splice it in and get it smooth without the use of any body filler.

zip confirming that the remaining metal was solid

junk audi heaven

hacking apart this non-rusted b3 fwd 90.

Last edited:

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
new dogleg

the right side lower quarter was replaced and i totally rebuilt the trunk floor with sheet metal. What a pain. Took me a lot of hours for that work. Also the rear dogleg is replaced in this pic. I had to borrow my second set of jackstands, so these 4x4 posts held the car for a day. Sketchy.

I was very lucky that this cancer had not gotten into any of the painted surfaced visible when the bumpers are on (aside from the little section of the dogleg below the trim). This allows me to weld in new metal and paint it with whatever I want and not have to repaint the car. I am going to try pearl paint in spray cans to paint the dogleg and door jamb. I made the seam under the mid-trim so it wont be so obvious. We all know its impossible to match pearl paint, especially from a rattle can.

3baudios

Veteran Member
TDI
93 eurovan AHU (almost), 88Fummins, 01 alh golf, 91 toyota alh
top notch work Dana, always impressed with your quality

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm still busy cutting, sandblasting, welding, painting, resealing, cursing and beating at on this project. Lots of work going into it every week, but nothing all that interesting to look at.

The ass end of this car appears to have been suspended in the ocean for a decade. So strange, because everything forward of the rear seat is well above average in cleanliness. This car has become a full backyard resto project.

Picture documentation is sporadic and incomplete, but I guess I've just enjoyed the hell out of working on this and forgetting to document.

Anyways, a couple random pics:

crusty, leaking rear subframe

teardown

one of the rear subframe mounts was rusting out. i removed it, sandblasted it down to bare metal and rebuilt it and reattached it to the car. Strange the other 3 were in perfect condition.

subframe and a-arms getting ready for blasting. trans cleaned up, driveshaft apart waiting for new hanger bearing

Rear diff re-sealed, actuator being replaced, some paint and fresh fluid.

never seen this before, subframe had a soft spot right here?? More cutting and welding. I love rust.

had an epic and horrible wind storm on the mountain last night and this morning. Had to batten down the hatches and ride it out. This morning a tree fell on me whilst I drove over the mountain at 50mph. The old ****wagen had a bit of a windsheild malfunction. Also lost both side mirrors, badge, roof rail parts, and rearview mirror. New dent in the hood, add it to the collection. I basically blasted right through the canopy of this huge birch tree completely blind. No time to react, and a car in the other lane prevented swearing away. Pretty awesome, glad it wasnt the audi.

Been driving sort of like this until I get get it replaced.

3baudios

Veteran Member
TDI
Glad you're OK Dana, keeping a close eye on this project as I want to do the same myself eventually

Baumeister

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Beetle Convertible, '03 New Beetle TDI 5sp, '94 Audi Cabriolet(AFN swap in progress)
Looking good!
I'm watching closely, I'm about ready to start tearing apart my '94 Audi Cabriolet for a longitudinal TDI swap. No Quattro in the plans at the moment, but once I get it together as FWD/manual, I'm hoping I'll be happy enough with it to keep my eyes open for a Quattro retrofit.

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey Dana,
In your junkyard jaunts, keep an eye out for OE forged(instead of stamped) control arms like these http://www.nextdayauto.com/1994-aud...-front-right-lower-genuine-w0133-1598442.html

I have 'em stock on my '94 Cabrio, not sure what other models they came on, but should fit your 90 no problem.
My car actually has the forged arms in the front, the ones pictured here are the rears which are stamped.

The later build audi 90 20v, coupe quattro, b4 90 and cabriolet have those forged arms. Offsets and castor angles are adjusted for each model with different ball joints.

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
rear subframe is looking better. Lots of sandblasting, scraping, needle scaling and painting later.

picked up a fluid film application kit, have a few cars to do with this, and I'm pretty excited to have it.

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
I informed my boss this week that I will be taking roughly two weeks off in October next year. I've been wanting to do a cross country trip for years, and I really want to take my TDI quattro on a great journey. I thought about Alaska, but its sooo damn far. Looks like I will head out next year to annual Battle Born Quattro Event in Vegas, and maybe shoot over to southern California to camp for a night or so just to say I made it to the west coast.

The car is still on track for a first drive this winter some time. I plan on daily driving it and working out any and all bugs before next fall, when an epic road trip will ensue. Been trying to find a mini popup camper to pull behind it, but they are expensive and rare.

I am super excited to pull the trigger on this it was a toss up between a Europe trip or a road trip. Road trip in my own home built classic Audi won!

3baudios

Veteran Member
TDI
Should be a fun trip Dana, looking forward to seeing more progress on this

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
yes, I am getting excited! I am planning on purchasing a basic rooftop tent that folds out into a little treehouse on top of the car. Should make camping along the way a pleasant experience.

Looking at this model.

3baudios

Veteran Member
TDI
Traveling under TDI power will be awesome, I am thinking of trying to find another Vanagon and do a similar trip

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
rear subframe and suspension installed finally!!

I finished all of the extensive sheet metal replacement in the rear quarter panel and trunk floor. That job was crazy. I have hundreds of hours into the rear of this car. Should have started with a better example, but it has been a great learning experience.

All new control arm bushings, ball joints, rear tie rods, koni adjustable shocks, ST springs, brake pads, lines and rotors, strut mounts, rear diff resealed, locking actuator repaired, HPR rear diff mount etc etc etc. I made the mistake of adding up the cost to refurb this rear subframe.....:barf:

Pretty stoked to see the car going back together instead of coming apart.

3baudios

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes I'm sure it was expensive, but you will have a awesome car when done Dana :)

dsldubn

TDI
'82 Rabbit with 1Z swap
Real nice work. I have to check this out someday. Cross country trip sounds awesome too.

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
finally had the chance to do a little more work on this.

control arms do-over. Got a new set of 4kq front control arms for the back of the 90 from rock auto. Sold under the dorman name, chinease built, but actually pretty good quality. I did this so i could mount my 4kq front swaybar in the back of the 90. I burned out the bushings they came with and put another set of whiteline bushings in

rear suspension finally buttoned up, new everything

next up, rebuild front subframe and suspension

gutted

spindles out and ready to be refurbed

01a trans removed

3baudios

Veteran Member
TDI
great work Dana, i wish i had the time to do the same thing to my pearl 90q, when completed this will be in my opinion the ultimate DD car, the only change i would prefer, and in not really an option here in the states with out importing, is a wagon version....

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
I hope you're right Bill. I think this could be an amazing DD car for northeast driving. I am really starting to get excited to drive it, A B3/B4 quattro wagon would be amazing with a TDI! They are starting to get old enough that importing a b4 wagon is almost within reason. The only thing that holds me back is the difficulty in finding a replacement shell if something should happen.

3baudios

Veteran Member
TDI
yea, a replacement shell would be hard, but you could always put the parts into a 4 door and have exactly what you have now. the pearl shell i have now was from FL and clean when i parked it a LONG time ago and would need to have all the stuff you have done to yours done to it with the subframes etc. what suspension did you put in again? i think i would lift mine if i ever build it. I tried to life the golf 1.5" but the billy HD's wouldnt extend far enough to work so i had to send the 1" spacers back :( oh yea, where did you get the TDI 01E and how much?

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
My suspension is ST Weitec springs for a 16v 80 quattro. I got those from germany. The shocks are koni yellow (adjustable).

I got my 01e from Frans, who is a member on here from the netherlands.

His website is dutchautoparts.com I think. It was between 800 and 900 shipped, I can't remember exactly.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Silly (and old) question - back up to the engine pics - did you check the intermediate shaft play? These engines can have excess clearance on the front two bearings which can result in low oil pressure - so much easier to deal with with the engine out of the car.